Zelda
  • b0r1s wrote:
    This thread has me feeling all warm and nostalgic, so I've just text my daughter (who is never up early) to get my N64 back with my copy of MM (the limited edition USA gold cart) which I'm ashamed to say I never played. I bought late in the life of my N64 and just never got around to it. While I'm not a massive fan of the new aesthetic of the 3DS new Zelda, it will be my first play again through since playing the original back on my SNES, so I don't really remember much of it and I'm looking forward to discovering it all over again.

I think I'm going to man up with Majora's Mask myself.  I've got two weeks off in November, and it's highly unlikely I'd choose to play Wind Waker again over a much lauded installment that passed me by.  I quite enjoy a large gap between Zelda games, because they have the longest quests of any games I've completed in fifteen years, but Skyward Sword was 18 months ago now, and a proper Wii U sequel probably won't see the light until Christmas 2014 at the earliest.  Yep, I'm gonna do it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Good man!! :-)
  • New E3 trailers for Windwaker HD, releasing in October:

New features include the ability to throw bottle-bound messages and images (composed in Miiverse) into the sea.... to wash up on the beaches of other player's games. Trouble is you'll have to talk to Tingle to do this, *shudders*

...and the newly named, Legend of Zelda: a Link between worlds

• Is anyone else thinking Wind Waker looks exactly the same in indoor sections? Its only the lighting/bloom effects that appear to be hdified. Haven't played the original in quite a while mind.
  • Yeah, I was assuming it was going to look much sharper than that.
  • WW looked stunning a decade ago, and it still looks good now, with or without the minimal gloss they seem to have added.  My problem is I'm not up for replaying a 35hr quest that wasn't one of my favourites anyway (although a couple of bosses were series highlights for me).  It is going to be £24.99 or something though, right?

Also, I just can't get on with those Link Between Worlds visuals.  I don't think they're a million miles away from just plain nasty.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I think we'd need a side-by-side comparision, but WW was (IIRC) much fuzzier back on the GC. Not N64 levels of blur, mind, but still not as clear and crisp as the Wii U incarnation.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Wind waker looks great for a hd version, there's no way the GC looked like that surely.  Nt that I've played it, I just remember how low res GC games were.

I still have to finish Ocarina and LTTP and really want to play Skyward sword and Majoras mask!  But there isn't time!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • A faster ship.  Great idea, and also a pretty reasonable excuse why it was so slow in the original.  That's reduced the gamelength by five hours though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    A faster ship will go down a treat.

How sailing felt at the start of Wind Waker:
    titanic2.jpg

How sailing felt at the end of Wind Waker:
    virtual%20stuck%20behind%20a%20bus.jpg
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Best version of A Link to the Past?

I've only ever known PAL, but I want NTSC, yeah? Any arguments in favour of resolution and colour versus frame-rate? (I fancy I'd find foreigners' sped-up music worse. Post-'82, anyway.)

SNES prices are high. £2K for a sealed in recent trading.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I used to own a US SNES, after getting rid of my PAL SSFII edition.

The quality and speed difference were very noticeable, especially the squashed borders, main reason I used to spend anywhere up to £60 per cartridge, and kids moan about £40 today :-)
  • Fuck you nintendo, you've found the only thing that would make me consider getting a WiiU at the moment.
  • Still got wind waker to get through on the Wii. Excite :D
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Escape wrote:
    Best version of A Link to the Past? I've only ever known PAL, but I want NTSC, yeah? Any arguments in favour of resolution and colour versus frame-rate? (I fancy I'd find foreigners' sped-up music worse. Post-'82, anyway.) SNES prices are high. £2K for a sealed in recent trading.

You could wait for it to show up the WiiU VC.  NTSC version on a LCD/Plas sounds tasty & lot cheaper than slapping 2k down.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    cindemon wrote:
    You could wait for it to show up the WiiU VC.

peter-falk_columbo-300x225.jpg
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Derail: Any collectors after the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess?

I'm flogging mine.
  • WW still looks great on my big tv. As Crayon mentions, maybe they'll have the grace to finish the thing this time around. Seems little point otherwise.
  • For those hoping for the dungeons that never got released in WW, eurogamer has got some pretty deflating news: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-13-the-wind-wakers-missing-dungeons-were-reused-in-other-zelda-games
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • That sucks, but if true that they were used in later games then I guess it would be pretty pointless putting them in this.

Having said that I do think they should add something significant to this to make it more appealing, not that anyone else has bothered doing so with the HD re-releases though.

God of War 1/2 on PS3 were just upscaled, not sure if thats the right technical term but my point is the character models etc were the same as they were on PS2. E.g. Some enemies (the cannon fodder granted) arms not being attached to their torso.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    So, you're sad that the dungeons you didn't get to play, you actually got to play?
  • Give me sailing any day over the most frustrating game mechanic in the history of the world, flying with the wiimote in Skyward Sword. I really enjoyed WW, the graphics were lurvely, which really helped.
    GT: Knight640
  • Hmmm. I thought the flying in SS was amazing. Worked wonderfully for me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • That sucks, but if true that they were used in later games then I guess it would be pretty pointless putting them in this.

Not if you're new to Zelda it wouldn't, which presumably is one of the main reasons for its release on a new generation console.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    So, you're sad that the dungeons you didn't get to play, you actually got to play?

I think the point is that people want Wind Waker to be the game it could have been - many players felt it lost its way towards the end, and when it was revealed that dungeons had been cut and the Tri-Force treasure quest was basically designed to pad the game out, there was (speaking for myself, at least) a nagging feeling of disappointment over what might have been.

It would more than likely have been a better game if it hadn't been pushed out before that deadline, if we assume those extra dungeons were good.  It's a bit like finding out tracks that were cut from an album appeared on subsequent records - even though fans get to hear them elsewhere, they could have improved the original album.  Wind Waker was an 8/10 for me, with a 9 tantalisingly close.  I don't replay games once the credits have rolled, and haven't really since the late 90s, but for those who do, or even sit on the fence with HD remakes, adding something extra to the Wii U version of WW would have been an extra incentive to buy it.  If we've seen those dungeons elsewhere, maybe the HD WW team should've been told to pull their fingers out and make two new ones.
  • Exactly, for me it would have made the wii u a much more attractive option if they had. As it stands, as great of a game it is, a faster boat and some brighter lights doesn't really do it for me. I've never gone back to wind waker because of that last section.
  • Wind Waker HD vs Gamecube (note that the GC video is stretched).

Immediate differences (aside from the native 1080p resolution)

-New (exterior?) lighting system
    -Shadows (& characters self shadow)
    -Colour tone difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXZTIKMWsag

Also for the minor details, this speedrunner talks about them

Believe!
  • I watched all of that bottom vid.  I applaud you, internet speedrun man, but thank goodness I managed to avoid being that odd.
  • I think Nintendo have missed a trick by not including the additional dungeons or whatever. The windwaker is a flawed piece of game because the last third triforce quest is just a padding out fectch quest and is well below their standards. If you want to see how a special/new edition should be done, look at what square enix have done with the new version of deus ex by tearing out the bosses and creating new ones from scratch.

I suppose the fix (make the triforce quest a less of a trudge by making the boat faster) is at least worth acknowledging but with the caveat its the lamer way out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!