Zelda
  • Wind Waker was such style over substance. The end portion was awful - I only finished it cos I was stuck at home with flu or something and had literally nothing else to do. It bored me to tears.

While I have fond memories of the art style and the sailing (particularly the way the ocean felt so big and daunting) I was really disappointed there wasn't much to discover out there - there was only one tiny little town, right? I thought there might be some new continent to discover but no, it was just tiny little islands (rocks, really) and the odd ship. Nintendo re-releasing this with absolutely no new content seems like such a wasted opportunity. The cube version still looks great anyway. I don't really understand why an HD version would take Nintendo more than a week or two to knock out. But then, I'm not really sure what Nintendo have been doing for the past three or four years besides counting their Wii money.
    XBL DirtyAmpyNoakes; PSN Dampy64
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    DLC ISLANDS
    Get schwifty.
  • DLC something other than one town and about thirty hours of monotonous blue soup
    XBL DirtyAmpyNoakes; PSN Dampy64
  • Just finished the 3rd Dungeon of Oracle of Ages, seems quite tough so far.

I really struggled with the whole part on Cresent Island and the following dungeon. Is this game renowned for being one of the tougher ones? Or were my frontal Lobes having an off day?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Don't remember them being tough. I did play them on release though, when I was young and intelligent and not old and crap like now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Some new Link Between Worlds footage.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Looks promising. Just wish they would zoom out the camera a notch.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Like the news that the game is set in the future to ALTTP with new dungeons and puzzles.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I hate to get Zelda-am-reel-graffix, but Turtle Rock was a desolate place. It'll look like a chocolate-box vista on approach with these graphics.

And Link's overlong sword-charge is easy-mode.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    Looks promising. Just wish they would zoom out the camera a notch.

Agreed, looks a tad claustrophobic.

I don't look forward to games in the same manner I did as a kid but it was 1998< this would be one of my most anticipated games of all time.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Also agree the cam view, just a smidge out & it would be perfect.  Though that said after watching the trailer on my 3DS with the effect on & the love I have for ALTTP this maybe the first Zelda I'm getting a bit of hype for since Twilight.
  • Nintendo Direct for Windwaker HD:

Looks gorgeous...... notwithstanding that yucky bloom lighting.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    WWHD: Day one purchase. Deffo.

I notice that they're pushing the 'continuity' more, mentioning that WW happens just before Phantom Hourglass.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Wasn't that common knowledge when Phantom Hourglass came out?

What do you mean by pushing continuity? Have they changed anything about the story in WW to Link it with other games?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It's only recently IIRC that Nintendo have even acknowledged that the games are linked. (No pun intended.) Some games may have felt like sequels to others (Majora's Mask follows on quite nicely from Ocarina, for example) but they've never explicitly stated that one follows another, let alone plug the previous chapter in a video for an up coming title like this.

I may be wrong, but that's my understanding of the picture.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • They said on the box of alttp that the Zelda and link of those games were the ancestors of the zelda and link from the nes games.

There are three timelines, branching from ocarina.

The ds games were always tagged into the windwaker timeline (with the train one being set 100 years later or something).
  • I think the Zelda timeline is a bit like that series of 24 they apparently started filming before they'd worked out how everything was going to tie together, or the fact that the doctor was supposed to die early on in Lost, but he was popular with test audiences so they kept him in.  I don't care when/where a new one set in comparison to the old games, and one day they're going to tie themselves in knots trying to insist that it all makes sense.  I've completed four of the 3D Zelda games, and apart from Skyward Sword I didn't have much of a clue what was going on in any of them, aside from the basics of good vs evil, but still had a jolly good time.  I don't play Zelda for the plot, I play it for the ingenious puzzles and The Nintendo Factor.
  • If you read the story for alttp you can see clear parallels between that and sealing ganon away in ocarina.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There's a youtube video with all this shizz on earlier in this thread, isn't there?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    They said on the box of alttp that the Zelda and link of those games were the ancestors of the zelda and link from the nes games. There are three timelines, branching from ocarina. The ds games were always tagged into the windwaker timeline (with the train one being set 100 years later or something).

I stand corrected. Well, sorta. I'm pretty sure that the multiple stories branching from Ocarina has only recently been confirmed as a thing; until fairly recently it was all just fan conjecture. I think.
  • We'll never know if Nintendo have always had a timeline or have just pieced one together because of fan demand.

If its the latter then they've done a pretty good job as it all come together nicely. Like @mistercrayon has pointed out they did state the history as far back as ALttP and Links Awakening came straight after that.

One thing people seem to forget is your actually supposed to put YOUR NAME in, not Link. You are the player, you are the hero of time.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nah, he is called Link. Like characters in Final Fantasy have names but you can still call them whatever you want.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    8cfcce254385202b251fe59ec002070c.jpg
    Get schwifty.
  • I hope the next installment on the Wii U is from the middle timeline.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • They forgot the remakes. 'The exact same thing happens again but with nicer textures.'
  • Gonondorf is clearly not The Prince of Thieves, that title is taken.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    There's a youtube video with all this shizz on earlier in this thread, isn't there?

There's a link to it in the OP.
  • They've conveniently forgotten about those CD-i Zeldas on that chart.
  • Zelda timeline is the worst of Geekfiction
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    (time line)

Yeah, that's the image I was thinking of. I thought that was generally only a theory put together by fans, until Nintendo put that image out as part of the Hyrule Historia book(s?). Still, pretty neat, if a bit unnecessary. Though I do like the way that the newest game is the first chronologically, while the oldest games are the last in the "story".

Plus it's pretty funny just how many of the games are summarised by "Ganon(dorf) is revived". The Zelda plot equivalent of "Princess Peach is kidnapped, Mario murders everyone."
    weadre wrote:
    They've conveniently forgotten about those CD-i Zeldas on that chart.

Hasn't everyone?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!