What do you want from the next generation of consoles?
  • WorKid wrote:
    I want a high quality jetski racing game.
    WorKid wrote:
    And a high quality snowboarding game.
    you want an N64 then...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Sony have announced they will be showing 'The Future' at Playstation Meeting 2013 tis will be 20/02/13.
    First unveiling of PS4 seems likely.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    PS+ is too generous, really. I half suspect Sony are sweeping up subs ready for a next-gen tie/lock-in. Still, in the mean time no complaints.

The dynamic between the Live and Plus services is fascinating. In a lot of respects it'll be where the battle for the next gen will be won and lost.
  • I hope that Sony's purchase of Gaikai will aid their online infrastructure.
    It's no secret that everyone gets a different quality of service from it, but the general consensus is that it is slow and poorly designed (all iterations of the PSN store have been dreadful).

Also, I hope they redesign the OS. The XMB has served long enough. It's about time it was put out to pasture and something sleaker and sexier created.
    Dualshock design will apparently be going as well. Lord knows what they're cooking up with regards to design.
  • I still prefer the XMB to any of the others; my worry would be if they go down the Vita 'bubbles' route.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    XMB looks nice, if a little old school when you cast your eye round other consumer UIs.

The main problem is its a pain to find which bit you want and hasn't evolved despite having more and more bolted to it. People criticise MS for overstuffing the interface but at least they recognised they were going to have to retool the interface when the service it was fronting expanded.
  • I expect they will change it because it's going to look non-progressive if they don't but I want something with clean lines, basically grown up. I think they'll all have voice control, and so can be designed with that in mind (obviously with a fall-back controller control under access regs for those it can't understand - the very elderly, Brummies etc.?)
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Dualshock design will apparently be going as well. Lord knows what they're cooking up with regards to design.

Dualshock isn't going anywhere. They've added a little weight to the pad making it slightly bigger but are keeping the design similar aside from that as they want to keep the 'symmetry' of the sticks, triggers and face buttons intact. The only other noticeable difference is they've changed the select button to a 'share' button.

A share button...how exciting. So far developers are using said button to take instant screen shots which are displayed after the level/section etc that you can choose to upload instantly to FB,Twitter etc.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Dualshock isn't going anywhere. They've added a little weight to the pad making it slightly bigger but are keeping the design similar aside from that as they want to keep the 'symmetry' of the sticks, triggers and face buttons intact. The only other noticeable difference is they've changed the select button to a 'share' button. A share button...how exciting. So far developers are using said button to take instant screen shots which are displayed after the level/section etc that you can choose to upload instantly to FB,Twitter etc.

Where does this come from?
  • Any chance of some proper triggers.
  • The only people I've ever known who have trouble with the triggers are those with massive sweaty hands. Massive underarm sweat patches on their shirts they have too. And massive shirts.
  • A friend works for Evolution and has seen and used all the different prototypes that have used a number of technologies that were deemed unsuitable from track pads on the reverse to crazy N64 type designs that would have made costs rificulous. Theres only so much you can do with a pad that you can keep costs realistic at. Would you want to pay £60 for a 2nd,3rd or 4th controller?

The current pad that is 99% likely to go into full scale production is that I've said above. Also if you hold share it captures video to be instantly uploaded also.
  • Holding share while gaming.....not easy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Also if you hold share it captures video to be instantly uploaded also.

I said this would be a thing. Others scoffed.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:

Its a nice idea for screen grabbing but holding for a vid won't be easy,but more importantly how often will you know the next 10 seconds will be worth recording?
    Yossarian wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:

I didn't scoff but I did fear for YouTube. There are enough shitty FIFA videos as it is.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:

Its a nice idea for screen grabbing but holding for a vid won't be easy,but more importantly how often will you know the next 10 seconds will be worth recording?

Presumably they'll come up with something a bit cleverer, like tap for a screenshot, hold for two seconds to start recording.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    Any chance of some proper triggers.
    Please. I hate those L2/R2 abominations.
  • JMW wrote:
    The only people I've ever known who have trouble with the triggers are those with massive sweaty hands. Massive underarm sweat patches on their shirts they have too. And massive shirts.

Oi! I just prefer the 360 triggers. As it happens, I'm quite svelte you know.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Theres only so much you can do with a pad that you can keep costs realistic at.

Are they keeping SixAxis? Because whatever they pay for that could be saved.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Holding share while gaming.....not easy.
    Incorrect apparently, EDGE says – 

"The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    15 minutes? Of 1080p content? With no performance hit? Seems legit.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Theres only so much you can do with a pad that you can keep costs realistic at.
    Are they keeping SixAxis? Because whatever they pay for that could be saved.

Can't think of anything that that added particularly this gen, now I think back.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Although a new Bushido Blade, proper Tenchu and more pixeljunk would help.
    oooooooooh I second Tenchu.
    Have you had a bash on Mark of the Ninja?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:

As I mentioned the last time this came up, following the Halo route would work. Record the starting state and the button inputs and then replay the game whilst rendering. Practically no performance hit.
  • Vastik wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Holding share while gaming.....not easy.
    Incorrect apparently, EDGE says – 

"The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet."

Hey, I reckon this'll be on Durango to because of what a birdy said.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    As I mentioned the last time this came up, following the Halo route would work. Record the starting state and the button inputs and then replay the game whilst rendering. Practically no performance hit.

Halo is a special case as it's been designed from the start to do that. If it's easy why don't we see it in every game. Sony are talking about applying it universally to every title. I'm not so sure.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    No....continuously spooling 15 minutes of content for recording.

Or however long it is Halo can record for.
  • Couldn't the recording be farmed off to the Gaikai-esque cloud business in some way?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!