Philosophy Experiments
  • I like the 'essential element' resolution. If the core thing that makes the thing what it is is still there, then it's the same thing. Although I think that should encompass something wider than just its physical constituents. So the Thames isn't the same now as it was yesterday, but it's a huge body of water flowing through Central London. Change is part of its essence so we can accommodate that and call it the same thing.
    Girl bands and boy bands may change members but they're arguably not as valuable as the branding, the writing of songs etc, that are behind these acts.

You can't get to an objective answer this way, it's just a good way of looking at it.
  • Vela wrote:
    I suppose it could be argued that you are no longer you, but a replica of the original. That might have repercussions if someone is religious.

The ways I like looking at the problem are this:
    1. All particles in our body have a wavefunction which has essentially collapsed where we are. Each particle has the possibility of being anywhere else in the universe at any given moment. If you are just re-collapsing the wavefunction, you are the same person after being teleported.

However
    2. Since say, this time 10 years ago, through biological processes, almost every atom in your body has been replaced. You literally are not the same person you were then. So even though you feel like the same person, almost no atoms from back then still make up part of you.
    In this sense, we are more like a wave than we are like an object. So again, if it's a matter of being teleported, it doesn't even matter if you are made up of different atoms or not, as that has just sped up the process we already undergo, without the aging.

edit: ahh yes, I knew it was an old problem re-worded, but I didnt know the origin.

Is a paradox that has been reconstructed using different themes still the same paradox?

What do they do with all the bacteria? Also, if you need a shit, and transport yourself to the toilet, are you still in possession of said shit?

• beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Who is Bertrand R. Awesome?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Who is Bertrand R. Awesome?

Lol. Should totally be his actual name.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • beano wrote:

That really is fucked.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    SU mistaking it's obligation to prevent fascism organising between students by being fascists to students.

I hope someone picks up on this: it's a shame Lacan is dead as I'd love to read his open letter to UCL, heck if I had time I'd scribe it as I reckon he would've, set up a tumblr and twitter.

ANyway, I need a laugh, time to review https://twitter.com/KimKierkegaard
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Neecha owns a lot. Just a really insightful motherfucker with a gift for expression.

They'd be on firmer ground nixing Randian circles. Rand is just fucking irredeemably awful in every sense and the acolytes are shitbags to a man.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    There's gotta be some parody Rand twttrs.
  • They could just tweet Rand quotes straight.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Someone in work kept trying to give me one of her fiction novels.

It would get handed to me if I was round their office, I'd then put it back on the bookshelf in a very obvious manner, on three separate occasions. On the fourth I dropped it down the back of a filing cabinet.
  • See a timely "are you fucking mental" on the first occasion could've helped you avoid that, if nothing else.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    But having them chat Rand and then have them realise they are fucking mental was my cause.

I had headier dreams back then. It would make a swell trolling item for my office, thinking about it.
  • Why wouldn't anyone want to read diatribes about steel?

(based on second hand knowledge)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This is why it might be a swell trolling item. 

They're in Thailand on secondment so I can't get in their office.

I can't wait for their face when I ask for the book.
  • Is this worth a listen? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lyb82

BBC, philosophers, pub.... any good?
  • Dunno. All my philosolistening is taken care of by the Partially Examined Life poddo.
  • Show on SBS at the moment called living with the Enemy. Take to people with binary views on a touchy subject, make them live together for 10 days.

It should be a philosophy experiment, but it's not. It's people hitting a wall of metal ignorance & not knowing how to articulate past. Frustrating.
  • Had that on my watch later since you posted it. Should get on with it.

I watched The Perverts Guide to Ideology this weekend. Immensely interesting & entertaining.

Slavoj zizek in fine form.
  • Aye that flick owns.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Had that on my watch later since you posted it. Should get on with it. I watched The Perverts Guide to Ideology this weekend. Immensely interesting & entertaining. Slavoj zizek in fine form.

I learnt an interesting thing from that film.

You know those ubiquitous OBEY things with a face? well the face is that of Andre the Giant - famous professional wrestler. Now the film it comes from, They Live, the main character of which is Roddy Piper - also a pro wrestler!
  • Facewon wrote:
    Had that on my watch later since you posted it. Should get on with it. I watched The Perverts Guide to Ideology this weekend. Immensely interesting & entertaining. Slavoj zizek in fine form.
    I learnt an interesting thing from that film. You know those ubiquitous OBEY things with a face? well the face is that of Andre the Giant - famous professional wrestler. Now the film it comes from, They Live, the main character of which is Roddy Piper - also a pro wrestler!
    Not quite - the Obey Giant artwork wasn't in the film, the phrase/idea of propaganda with the simple phrase "Obey" comes from the film. Shepard Fairey evolved his "Andre the gain has a posse" work into to the obey giant. And it's Fairey's work with propaganda etc that convinces me that him and Banksy cooked up the whole Exit Through The Giftshop as a lark.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    EttG, is a fine example of a lark, all things considered.
  • Had that on my watch later since you posted it. Should get on with it. I watched The Perverts Guide to Ideology this weekend. Immensely interesting & entertaining. Slavoj zizek in fine form.
    I learnt an interesting thing from that film. You know those ubiquitous OBEY things with a face? well the face is that of Andre the Giant - famous professional wrestler. Now the film it comes from, They Live, the main character of which is Roddy Piper - also a pro wrestler!
    djchump wrote:

Enter a bar in Grenoble, France.

I love things like this. The aforementioned Andre the Giant hails from Grenoble, France.
  • Aaaaaand, Andre was a legendary drinker.... dun dun duuuuun! 
    There's some kind of mind control conspiracy afoot! OBEY!
  • Guy who made obey poster also made Obama hope poster.

It goes right to the fucking top baby!!!
  • I think R Kelly is shamefaced liar. Evidence: "Ignition:Remix"
    Quote: "I'm not trying to be rude..."
    I disagree
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!