Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Let's just make the car stop, and kill no one.

Or kill the people in the road, they shouldn't have been there anyway.
  • Make the car leap over them like KITT.
  • Make the car leap over them like KITT.
    This. All self driving cars should also have the AI/voice of an ageing, snippy, aloof homosexual.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    So simple.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    I should have enlisted the help of that child for the philosophy modules of my degree, he's a bloody genius.
  • Ah, pragmatic population control. Kid's a genius.
  • I once read a book on the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics but it turned out the author didn't understand much about quantum mechanics despite having a degree in physics and a PhD in some philosophy thing. It was so dire it made me question the existence of philosophy.
    djchump wrote:

And this is just toe-curling back patting. Kids can be stupid and ask stupid questions because they don't understand stuff yet. My little one asked why the Universe exists because he's an idiot and not because he's got clarity of thought.
  • Maybe it's all a dream...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    There's a fog along the horizon,
    A strange glow in the sky...
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • https://youtu.be/c2PAajlHbnU

So this could go in miso thread, but it's more the acting out of the specific philosophical/moral conundrum that impresses me.

I think he leaves some pretty big gaps in what he references, and makes some declarations I wouldn't think follow, but it's still a good little vid.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • This was interesting, if not especially enlightening to me -

I'm not sure the guest did a great job of promoting panpsychism, I came down pretty firmly on the materialist side. But the idea of it is interesting, it seems like more of a spiritual concept or outlook.
  • You keep linking to Carroll and I have in my podcast subs and I never get around to him, even though I know he's done lots of good stuff and is always interesting.

Meanwhile, this is great.

https://sootyempiric.blogspot.com/2019/11/truth-in-culture-war.html?m=1

2 of the authors of the sokal hoax have gone down a full on IDW path of dumb shit. For peak irony, they also wrote a book about how to argue/disagree better.

They've then gone on to Tweet and write articles that are so easily memeable and contradictory that its shooting fish in a barrel.

As with all the IDW guys, when folks dive in with substantive criticism, their shtick falls apart.

Anyhoo, the above article is from a blog from a guy who writes very clearly and there's lots of interesting stuff in here, IMO on truth and how we might know it or not.

"So first a terminological point, perhaps not intrinsically all that important but which is nonetheless worth being clear about. The thing Boghossian identifies as the correspondence theory of truth is not that which philosophers typically discuss under that name. To understand why not, it will be worth having to hand a distinction. We may separate out claims about what it means for something to be true (we'll call questions about what it means to be true "alethic claims") from claims about how we could know something is true ("epistemic claims"). Suppose I say "there are 9 rocks in this bucket", pointing to a bucket in front of me. What it means for this to be true presumably has something to do with buckets, numbers of rocks, and the relationship of being inside of. How I would know it is true, what sort of observations I would make or whether I can in fact come to know as much, are quite distinct from this. To see that, one could suppose that our bucket with (perhaps) 9 rocks in it were located on some far away exoplanet - now what I would have to do to come to know the truth of my claim, and indeed whether I can know it at all, are very difficult questions, whose answers may well be different from when I said that of a bucket in front of me. Yet, what would make the claim true (or false) does not seem to have changed: the bucket and the number of rocks therein being the only thing that matters for that. This is a general distinction that some philosophers find useful, and we shall return to it often - alethic and epistemic claims can be distinguished."

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    You keep linking to Carroll and I have in my podcast subs and I never get around to him, even though I know he's done lots of good stuff and is always interesting.

Yeah I came across him with the quantum many worlds stuff, which seems like a reasonable explanation, though I'm not qualified to really dig into it. He's one of these people who's obviously very gifted at speaking and clearly explaining stuff. There's some great podcasts he's done, the memory palaces and making artificial life ones where great.

Turns out this is a much better cast than the one above, David Chalmers covers it much more succinctly, and goes into into things like the zombie problem and living in a simulation -

The materialist or physicalist concept is that everything is a part of the physical world and obeys it's rules, and things like consciousness are higher level phenomena that emerge out of basic physical reality. Both Chalmers and Goff think that consciousness cannot be explained with with typical scientific thinking, and that there must be something else at play that can explain why we think and know we think.

Chalmer's falls into property dualism, which thinks that the natural world has not only physical but mental properties somehow. Goff's panpsychism was the idea that everything has some element of consciousness, all the way down to base particles. An interesting outlook perhaps. Both hold that there must be something extra that we don't fully understand yet.
  • I spose this is the philosophy thread.

(skip to 4:47)
  • I'm still great and you still love it.
  • TBH I was mainly interested in Joscha Bach's ideas in that video, I didn't get from Vervaeke's contributions. Bach is the clearest and most brilliant thinker I've come across yet, he makes most Philosophers look confused in comparison, lost in their own jargon.

This is an hour long talk from 2015 which is an absolute tour de force -

I very much recommend watching it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!