The spoiler tags are annoying bioshock thread!!
‹ Previous1234
  • For discussions about bioshock that don't read like this

Spoilers
    Spoilers
    Spoilers.

I've seen a few theories around that booker is actually Andrew Ryan, the proof being that he can run the bathysphere. I think this is nonsense because at the End of bioshock you open up the DNA thing in the bathysphere so fontatlas can use it.

Put theories and stuff here!!
  • Not getting baptised makes you want to be a dictator on a floating city don't you know.
  • I thought it was getting baptised that caused that shit.
  • It is, it's a figurative rebirth. Tch, Nick!
  • I got all the voxophones last night. There's so much lampshading and foreshadowing I actually feel a bit stupid for not seeing the twist coming.
  • The worst one by far is the bull shit about Comstock being sterile because of the Lutece field. It's so wishy-washy. Genetic traits get dulled throught he generations, ergo moving through parrallel realities, blah, blah, blah, he's sterile.
  • When you accept that the game is set 100 years ago yet they can leap to parallel universes, why is it hard to accept him becoming sterile?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Could just argue it's the latent radiation from the equipment that caused his sterility. Lots of explanations for it. Makes you wonder how different it'd be if he could conceive Liz as Comstock.

I missed it the first time around since I didn't want to kill the only copper not shooting at me but in the first bit you can overhear a woman giving a description to a polce officer of a con on the loose.. Barge into the room and the sketch is of Andrew Ryan.
  • It's not. If they'd have just said "oh, the lutece field makes you sterile" I would have been ok with that. It's the explination of it that really grates.

Like the explination for the Luteces being everywhere at once, its brevity is what makes it acceptable.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's something you can invent your own explanation for seeing as it's psycho-babble science.

If you want a good laugh, try shooting the Lutece twins when they give you the shield.
  • Right, fair enough. It's all science mumbo jumbo anyway, the flavour doesn't bother me as all of it is absolute bollocks.
  • Who is the archangel Comstock says he got the prophecies from? I can understand if that was an easily digestible way of feeding what he saw through the Lutece field to the masses, but he keeps that schitck up long after he's been busted on it.

Unless "Archangel" is like, the name of a machine in Liz's tower that is powered by the syphons that shows him the future?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Right, fair enough. It's all science mumbo jumbo anyway, the flavour doesn't bother me as all of it is absolute bollocks.

*Chuckle*
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • The minutia of the plot don't bother me, as the minute you start scrutinising something this closely cracks begin to form regardless of quality.

The SciFi is just a carriage for other things, and the other things are far more interesting to me.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Right, fair enough. It's all science mumbo jumbo anyway, the flavour doesn't bother me as all of it is absolute bollocks.

I know what you mean. I'm not one of these people who scoffs at Jurassic Park for how impossible it is. It's because the way in which the story presents its explinations makes sense and doesn't pull me out of it.

That one voxophone just really broke my immersion because they went too far with the "science" and it fell apart.
  • I was probably too busy shooting to notice, I did whip through it in just over a day.
  • There's an amazing Voxophone about Comstock/Booker having "a little Red in him." You can hear how much this pisses him off and how he was ostracized from his unit for it, leading upto his actions in Wounded Knee, to get "back in."

Really shows a lot about the racism of Comstock against Booker who seems to have mellowed out by that point.
  • I missed that one. Basically suggests he went above and beyond at WK, thus supporting my argument in the other thread thus YES I WIN
  • He was being bullied by his fellow army men and did what he had to to be accepted. Maybe booker is a weak man who bends to the will of his peers? Making him not a dick but a mirror for the dickishness around him.
  • I quite like how at the beginning there is a tease/suggestion that you are just gonna join up with the box, then they just turn out to be dicks and everyone is basically a shit.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Btw there's a eurogamer article on the ending. I'm posting on my phone so I don't have link, but it's main page
  • He was being bullied by his fellow army men and did what he had to to be accepted. Maybe booker is a weak man who bends to the will of his peers? Making him not a dick but a mirror for the dickishness around him.

He still murdered innocent people, weak or not.

I don't get the attempts to justify a man who snaps peoples' necks with an industrial strength tool.
  • I was reading the timeline (was trying to work out if booker was involved in the boxer incident) and it appears he got a particularly horrid nickname - the white injun- on account of his brutality

So tempy is the winnar!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I've seen a few theories around that booker is actually Andrew Ryan, the proof being that he can run the bathysphere. I think this is nonsense because at the End of bioshock you open up the DNA thing in the bathysphere so fontatlas can use it. Put theories and stuff here!!

Wait, what?

Only Ryan can use the bathysphere? You use it at the start of the game. I must have missed/forgot the whole DNA thing in the first.

It's plausible (as much as anything is plausible) that the Ryan/Jack/Booker/Comstock genes are one soup.

FWIW I took it that when Booker and Elizabeth use the bathysphere Jack had only just left the room. No reason for that, just that it was cool.
  • I don't like the Booker/Comstock is Jack/Ryan I just thought they were neat narrative parallels.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like the idea that they are the same. It explains the parallels between the opening of the two games. And as the title is indeed "infinite", and that "man, lighthouse" line, it suggests that the Jack story is another version of the DeWitt story
  • It's way too 'forced clever' for me. I appreciate the nods and winks, but I see no firm evidence that Jack is Ryan, especially if you count the post credits scene as the end of the infinite loop, because then Bioshock is 70 years off.
  • Well in bioshock (sorry if you aren't expecting spoilers for that!!!) Fontaine brings in jack because Ryan has DNA locked thef bathyspheres. There's a audiolog which says the DNA lock ain't that great and anyone with ryan's DNA ball park can use the bathyspheres (which his son does). (it also explains why you can turn the alarms off which have a giant R on them).

The course of bioshock is Fontaine leading you to Ryan so that you can pinch the DNA unlock from his dead body making the bathyspheres free to at least Fontaine, but probably all.

One thing I like about infinite is that when you die there is a good reason to come back. Its easy to imagine that each time you come back you have effectively replayed the whole game up to that point and changed something so you don't die (ie each resurrection is a new booker dragged by Robert and rosalind but the game saves the hassle of playing upto the point you last died and gives you a new universe where the future is different)
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I like the idea that they are the same. It explains the parallels between the opening of the two games. And as the title is indeed "infinite", and that "man, lighthouse" line, it suggests that the Jack story is another version of the DeWitt story

I really only saw that line as a reference to why the beginnings of the game are thematically similar, and nothing more.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It's way too 'forced clever' for me. I appreciate the nods and winks, but I see no firm evidence that Jack is Ryan, especially if you count the post credits scene as the end of the infinite loop, because then Bioshock is 70 years off.

I really don't think time has any bearing on it. It's easy to imagine cyber booker in 2356in one of those lighthouses. INFINITE man
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!