The spoiler tags are annoying bioshock thread!!
  • I think if universe travel is allowed then so is time travel. Also funk has seen the big daddies which means asymmetric timelines are.allowed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Agree with DIS guy
  • It's certainly passable but holy fuck if it isn't just that little bit too self indulgent oh look how smart we are.

Thematic link, that's me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like my preferred reading because its meta as fuck and y'all know how I roll on that shit
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Lets be honest, shock 1 was self indulgent as all buggery "oh look at us comment on the nature of ALL GAMES EVER"
  • True, but this just seems like yet more SciFi baws that is diluting the emotional bit of the story. I gain zilch from Rapture being Booker's doing, personally.
  • Well they already played that line in system shock 2.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    It's way too 'forced clever' for me. I appreciate the nods and winks, but I see no firm evidence that Jack is Ryan, especially if you count the post credits scene as the end of the infinite loop, because then Bioshock is 70 years off.
    I really don't think time has any bearing on it. It's easy to imagine cyber booker in 2356in one of those lighthouses. INFINITE man

Surely the "Infinite" refers to sideways through dimensions not forward and back through time?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I like my preferred reading because its meta as fuck and y'all know how I roll on that shit

But referencing the themes of B1 via Infinite by having the former exist in the latter and the story frameworks being similar is already meta, without the need for them to ACTUALLY be linked, surely?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Kojima should helm the next Bioshock.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    True, but this just seems like yet more SciFi baws that is diluting the emotional bit of the story. I gain zilch from Rapture being Booker's doing, personally.

I mean that's the thing, it's all personal interpretation. I like the character of booker but I find the grander stuff more interesting, and the Sci fi gubbins are my bag. You like the character stuff, KEWL. Don't mean either of us are wrong

• Tempy wrote:
    True, but this just seems like yet more SciFi baws that is diluting the emotional bit of the story. I gain zilch from Rapture being Booker's doing, personally.

but it feeds into the infinite and follows the constants.

In a twist there should be a universe where booker is horrible and Comstock is nice.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

But referencing the themes of B1 via Infinite by having the former exist in the latter and the story frameworks being similar is already meta, without the need for them to ACTUALLY be linked, surely?

It is, but by saying "you're doing the same experience/story/sequence" is even more interesting, especially if you start considering the two different timelines/possibilities for the ending of B1
  • Ah ok, I see that now.

Cool thing: the priest in the entrance to Columbia says 'is it someone new?' which is obviously cool due to infinite, but also the first thing a Splicer says in Bioshock.
  • Nothing anyone says will make me prefer the literal reading, I just don't like it that much. And the 50 years gap doesn't sit well, I can't see Booker/Comstock abandoning Columbia myself, it's never alluded to.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In nngg this game
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Nothing anyone says will make me prefer the literal reading, I just don't like it that much. And the 50 years gap doesn't sit well, I can't see Booker/Comstock abandoning Columbia myself, it's never alluded to.

Where is there anything about abandoning Columbia? In another timeline, Columbia was not a city in the sky, but a city underwater called Rapture.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Know what the worst thing is? Levine is just gonna sit back and let this all go on forever. INFINITELY if you will.
  • It's like Bladerunner, the question of 'is Deckard a replicant' is more interesting than the answer.

@regmcfly Booker is I'm his late 30s by 1912, I guess it depends on when Rapture is built.
  • I'm just going to say this, there is no fucking way Booker is Comstock is Andrew Ryan. Just... no.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Remember when Ridley Scott just went "Aye, he is."

Worradick.
  • When people say Comstock is Ryan I don't think its Comstock leaves Columbia (he's dead as dead man) to form rapture, more like there's always a guy who sets up a city and there's always a guy who goes to a light house. Its not a huge leap to to say that this always a guy guy is from the same place originally (say booker and ryan's parents in one universe child booker becomes booker and in another universe child booker becomes Ryan).
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fentonizer wrote:
    I'm just going to say this, there is no fucking way Booker is Comstock is Andrew Ryan. Just... no.

Why not? In a universe of INFINITE (yeah, I'm gonna flog dat horse) possibilities, there's far too many similarities between them, their past, their beliefs, and their acts to be a "coincidence".
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Remember when Ridley Scott just went "Aye, he is."

Worradick.

Harrison ford doesn't think he was a robot though.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mistercrayon is saying what I'm trying to say better. It's another version of the same story. It doesn't have to be the literal Comstock becomes Ryan.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Fentonizer wrote:
    I'm just going to say this, there is no fucking way Booker is Comstock is Andrew Ryan. Just... no.

Why not? In a universe of INFINITE (yeah, I'm gonna flog dat horse) possibilities, there's far too many similarities between them, their past, their beliefs, and their acts to be a "coincidence".

you cant flog the infinite line and then say coincidence isn't a possibility.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh yeah. Derp.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Although to retcon that, I kind of meant in terms of the constants, as in "the man"
  • There's always a man who wants to break away, there's always a city he builds to accomplish this, and there's always a lighthouse to get you there.

I don't see why you need to explain anything else. It's already as meta as fuck, tying the 2 stories together only for the benefit of the audience.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!