The spoiler tags are annoying bioshock thread!!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    i typed this on a phone. It was easy.
  • Didn't get on very well with this game. I liked the first couple of hours as the world was being set up, loved the opening lighthouse and the barbershop Beach Boys rendition. Then it settled into its routine and I got a bit bored, but mainly very frustrated. The only interesting bits were the little glimpses of story between the combat arenas. 

I didn't like the weapon options the game gives you. Anything reasonably powerful has a scandalously small capacity, so I found I was either plugging away at enemies with low powered stuff to the point of tedium or running around desperately trying to loot corpses mid battle, and generally getting shot up. It didn't help that this was the main source of challenge in the game - when the amount of enemies was high enough that to take them out required more ammo and salt than you can carry. 

I understand that limiting the ammo and through use of salts they're probably trying to encourage the player to be judicious with their shooting and creative with the vigours. I still found it too stingy to be enjoyable. And collecting ammo and stuff while in battle just wasn't fun. The enemies don't really have much variety. The skyline is a good idea but I thought it was too hard to shoot from while moving at normal pace, or track where you'd be going when you got on it, or face the right way at the right time when on it. The "Press x to receive whatever" from Elizabeth seemed to break as often as it helped. The item collection from bins and desks can fuck right off.  

Tempy's got the right idea about the story I think. The central redemption theme was really strong and well done. I liked the story itself. Look at any of the rest of it too closely and it doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. But as imaginative, sci-fi colouring it was good. I was rushing to the end though. I was having such a bad time playing the thing, I just wanted to get it done. It's a shame because (judging by what I've read) I missed quite a lot of interesting stuff, and missed a lot of the subtle stuff that was going on. I blame the game for this. It lets down the story and setting. 

Only in the final couple of hours did it come together, when I felt like I wanted to play it, the action actually felt like it was serving the main plot rather than killing time, filling stuff out, and the story and game became entwined. 

Really think this would have worked better as a first-person adventure game than a run of the mill FPS. I can absolutely understand why this would never happen.
  • That's a pretty well reasoned assessment of a lot of it. I disagree a bit about the combat, but I got on with it and can understand others didn't.
    monkey wrote:
    Really think this would have worked better as a first-person adventure game than a run of the mill FPS. I can absolutely understand why this would never happen.

The bold bit is important, and you're bang on there. It has to be first person something but as AAA flavour of the month is FPS it was never going to be anything else. Probably worth getting a hold of the voxophone transcripts if you fancy digging but not playing it again.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I thought i'd post a link to some of the Bioshock 1 enemy concept art again. Seeing as many people lament there not being more varied enemy types in that and Infinite. Particulary monstrous enemies considering the subject material. Lots of Resident Evil inspiration I think.

http://www.creativeuncut.com/art_bioshock_a.html

That said, I get that a big theme of the newer Shock games is the collapse of the society that you find yourself in. So having a twisted populace lends itself to that more than grumbling monsters.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Plus, you know, it's a sequel to two FPS Bioshock games.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I thought i'd post a link to some of the Bioshock 1 enemy concept art again. Seeing as many people lament there not being more varied enemy types in that and Infinite. Particulary monstrous enemies considering the subject material. Lots of Resident Evil inspiration I think. http://www.creativeuncut.com/art_bioshock_a.html That said, I get that a big theme of the newer Shock games is the collapse of the society that you find yourself in. So having a twisted populace lends itself to that more than grumbling monsters.

Lady Aggressor is fit!
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Just finished this, left with a vague sense of depression.

It was good but I think it's my least favourite BioShock, Columbia and the vigors didn't have as much of an impact as Rapture and the plasmids. The gunplay seemed alot more repetitive than BioShock 2 as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!