The spoiler tags are annoying bioshock thread!!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Remember when Ridley Scott just went "Aye, he is." Worradick.
    Harrison ford doesn't think he was a robot though.

He's obviously never watched any of his films.

ZING!
  • Yeah I think what the bioshocks are it seems likely they are linked but from quite far away. As a thing to happen in reality its as likely to be a coincidence as not, but as two things made by some guys its not there by sheer accident is it? ;-)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fentonizer wrote:
    There's always a man who wants to break away, there's always a city he builds to accomplish this, and there's always a lighthouse to get you there.

I don't see why you need to explain anything else. It's already as meta as fuck, tying the 2 stories together only for the benefit of the audience.

But that's the point I'm making. They're tied together because of those things. It's just that in another universe, it's rapture.
  • I get a feeling that Rapture is partly stuck in there for audience benefit, I can imagine the cries of 'derivative!' If it hasn't been explicitly referenced, because gamers are primarily an audience of idiots who like to call everything a clone or copy of something else. There is commentary here on that, as Reg mentioned back when we both first finished it.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Fentonizer wrote:
    There's always a man who wants to break away, there's always a city he builds to accomplish this, and there's always a lighthouse to get you there. I don't see why you need to explain anything else. It's already as meta as fuck, tying the 2 stories together only for the benefit of the audience.
    But that's the point I'm making. They're tied together because of those things. It's just that in another universe, it's rapture.

Yes, I see what you're saying.

Comstock is Ryan in the sense that they are both "the man" in the aforementioned trifecta of constants. I thought we were talking about Booker getting baptised and one variable being he calls himself Andrew Ryan and creates Rapture.
  • That's a thematic link isn't it?
  • Or is it scene? OR MEME?! Koj'd
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right. I'm gonna try a mega post. Gonna try and explain my thoughts.

Firstly, comstock "is" Ryan not in a literal sense. Comstock is dead. He did not leave Columbia. He "is Ryan" in the sense that Lutece male "is" Lutece female. They are alternate parallel versions of the same person. In one universe, an experience caused Comstock to create a city in the sky, Columbia. In another universe, a version of that person created a city underwater, Rapture.

There is (as I see it) an overarching commentary on the nature of games, as we know Levine loves to do. I believe it's an arching comment on the nature of sequelization, that everything is derivative of everything else. Levine is referencing that, although I don't think he necessarily sees it as a bad thing - after all, who doesn't want to see where those lighthouses lead to? I think he's saying in game design there have to be a series of "constants", but around that, the world can be whatever the designer makes it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Or perhaps the "constant" is the designer.
  • I just said that too, aww yiss
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is what happens when you type on phone
  • The commentary is an interesting angle. Bioshock 1, bioshock 2, bioshock Infinite.... Where next? Infinite+1?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bioshock Yamum
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    DLC into those lighthouses
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    For discussions about bioshock that don't read like this...

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers.
    Hooray for common sense.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    For discussions about bioshock that don't read like this...

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers.
    Hooray for common sense.

I've just finished this, and if this discussion had happened in the main thread without spoilers I would've been fucking pissed.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • So, as I said just finished it. I absolutely loved it, the end was amazing. I had an inkling about what to expect as I had all but 3 of the voxphones and explored a lot, but not the extent to which it was going to be taken.

• One thing that does confuse me is the fact that Liz isn't wearing her choker with the bird/cage on it in the drowning scene, even though she wears it up till that point.

Does that mean 'our' Liz isn't there? And if so, where is she?
    Dewitt says 'Who are you? You're not...'
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    For discussions about bioshock that don't read like this... Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers.
    Hooray for common sense.
    I've just finished this, and if this discussion had happened in the main thread without spoilers I would've been fucking pissed.
    If I record the F1 and then go on the BBC website after a race I don't fire off a letter to Points of View calling them cunts.

Horses for courses, I'm of the camp that if you don't want to hear or know about something you shouldn't be in a thread specifically talking about that very thing. I'm not having a dig just saying that I believe the person who doesn't want to know shouldn't go hunting and force that want to talk about something to do it behind a wall of spoilers.

Perhaps 2 threads is the way to go?
  • Moto70 wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    For discussions about bioshock that don't read like this... Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers.
    Hooray for common sense.
    If I record the F1 and then go on the BBC website after a race I don't fire off a letter to Points of View calling them cunts.

Horses for courses, I'm of the camp that if you don't want to hear or know about something you shouldn't be in a thread specifically talking about that very thing. I'm not having a dig just saying that I believe the person who doesn't want to know shouldn't go hunting and force that want to talk about something to do it behind a wall of spoilers.

Perhaps 2 threads is the way to go?

so where do I go to talk about elements of the game outside of the story? You would end up with a thread with no posts for days while people can't talk about the game until its finished.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Maybe if we had a sub forum totally for spoilers.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    so where do I go to talk about elements of the game outside of the story?
    You either wait until you've played it or have a thread whose posts are hidden behind a wall of spoilers.

I say that while we don't have to pay for any new threads it should be up to the individuals, I know that I would rather frequent the thread where I'm not having to click each post to read it and not have to worry about people giving me shit because I talk about the intro of game that had been out for 6 months and finished by most people in this forum.

Like I said, horses for courses, I'm not saying you should have to read spoilers hence the other option. I think that the fact this thread here exists shows I am not the only one that thinks like this...
  • Six months is different to two weeks; and even then things like the ending to this should be carefully talked about.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Six months is different to two weeks; and even then things like the ending to this should be carefully talked about.
    So there is a time limit to how long things should be spoilered for?

I got shit for mentioning the simplest thing in a The Walking Dead post despite me talking about an episode that had been released 5 months earlier.

Anyway like I said I'm not going to fall out with anybody but surely the onus on not finding out anything about a game should be on the person who doesn't want to know and not everybody else that wants to talk about it, for me though I am happy just to visit the Game X - No spoiler tags thread...
  • I still don't see how spoilers tags are inconvenient.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I realise the magnitude of hypocrisy I'm about to display could crack the Earth asunder, but this does seem like an argument over nothing.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I still don't see how spoilers tags are inconvenient.

They're not. This is madness.
  • No.

This.

IS.

SPOILERS.
  • They're an arse to fiddle about with on my phone. Mostly typing though.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    They're an arse to fiddle about with on my phone. Mostly typing though.
    Yeah they are a ballache on the phone...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!