Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Collection of the licence fee.

And some border towns might still get a signal but good luck getting it in Twat.
  • The people of Twat will, I'm sure, get it through Sky.  I'd see STV (unfortunately) being the only national station, but a greater requirement for public service broadcasting could significantly improve its content.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's not make or break in the slightest, but it is one of those meaningful changes that should be being discussed.

(which it might well be, I dunno)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Sure, I'm not saying they aren't. But whether they can still watch Strictly Come Dancing will be a concern for a lot of ordinary voters.
  • Surely the main focus should be on how quickly we can invade, get Scotland back and enslave the Scottish.
  • Yes.  Everyone watch Doomsday and report back.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    It's not make or break in the slightest, but it is one of those meaningful changes that should be being discussed.

(which it might well be, I dunno)

It sounds like the usual "ah but what about X" arguments from the No campaign, as if every little thing has to be settled now.

There are more important things like the armed forces for example.

• Er yeah, basically what Gonzo said.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'd argue whether they can still watch Strictly is going to a bigger deciding factor than what the armed forces look like for a lot of voters. But whatevs.

Can someone point me to what will happen to the armed forces, BBC, Oil etc if the proposal gets a yes?
  • I can point you to the rest of the thread, where it points out why there won't be anywhere else to point you until post-referendum.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Well that's retarded.

He's been pushing for a referendum and wants people to vote yes or no but won't tell them what it will actually mean? Is he having a laugh? People vote for this guy, are they genuinely stupid or simply blinded by a misplaced sense of victimhood?
  • It's not a laugh, he can't dictate now what policy will be.  That's not his decision, that's just how it works.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    He can say what the party plans and implications are and let people vote based upon them.

If he's not allowed to then there shouldn't be a vote. Otherwise, what are you voting on apart from emotion.

Oh. Now I get it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    This is not a make or break issue, guys, come on.

I don't think anyone said it was, but it's an interesting side-note.
  • No BBC is pretty obvious, the oil is probably Scotland's given the warnings of price volatility, defence will be done on the cheap with no nukes, although the SNP have been fairly two faced in campaigning to save bases and regiments that they'd never pay for post independence. EU membership, sticking with the pound and national debt would need to be negotiated and argued for and it's impossible to guarantee an outcome.

All of this could change as soon as their was an election post independence, the other major parties have pretty strong discipline about sticking to the unionist line, but none of them would drop out of politics if it came to pass. It's inconceivable that Scottish politics would continue along the same lines after independence, people and policies would undergo a huge shift.

Again, I've got to repeat, there's not much demand for independence, most people don't even need to think about all these details because they've got no intention of voting Yes. Conversely a lot of the people that have already decided to vote Yes would probably think that these things were trivial.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Who built the rigs? Would they need to be bought or otherwise dismantled?

It is all mental, but I too also think this will be a close call; from 16 and above are eligible to vote in this, yes?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • The rigs are privately owned. It's who gets the taxes and issues exploration licenses that's the issue.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Otherwise, what are you voting on apart from emotion. Oh. Now I get it.
    As I've said before, if each party talks about what they'd want, it confuses the 'yes' argument.  What people are voting for is the more mature notion that they would like Scotland to be fully in charge of its own affairs, as democratically agreed by its people, even if the direction it takes is in conflict with one's own, personal ideals.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I find the notion of voting on an idea without a plan of implementing it ridiculous.

I wouldn't expect our politicians to ask us to vote on staying in the EU without explaining the implications. They didn't ask us to vote on proportional representation without explaining the implications.

Not telling people what you plan to do in case it confuses them is the most condescending thing I've heard from politicians for a long time. They should tell people what they plan to do -if they even have a plan- and if that confuses people then that's because it's a massively complicated proposition. Something they should realise before being asked to vote Yes/No and worry about How later.
  • You're voting on the notion of independence, not the nuts and bolts implementation of it.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I find the notion of voting on an idea without a plan of implementing it ridiculous. I wouldn't expect our politicians to ask us to vote on staying in the EU without explaining the implications.

That's precisely what they'll do.
    Mod74 wrote:
    They didn't ask us to vote on proportional representation without explaining the implications.

That was a hell of a lot simpler.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    OK.

And then is there a second referendum asking if they still want it when the How has been explained? Or is that it, Salmond and Co are free to do whatever the fuck they want how they want.
  • WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • AFAIK the How depends on who gets power. And yes, governments are generally free to do what they want.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    AFAIK the How depends on who gets power. And yes, governments are generally free to do what they want.

Who? Salmond an Co hold half the seats in parliament. There's no "depends" here.

And yes, Government is usually free to do what they want. Until the next election of course. And if they change their mind about thedivorce it's a 5 minute job to reverse it.
  • There's no guarantee that the make-up of the new government will be identical to the current one.  Even if constituencies remain exactly the same, there would need to be a new general election.  People will not necessarily want the same government in an independant Scotland.  I would think that, should the result of the referendum be yes, a number of all-party groups will be set up to start working out the details of, well, everything.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Well we'll see. I still think it's absolutely barmy.

Vote YES* for INDEPENDENCE**

* response bias

** who doesn't like independence? Everyone wants to be independent. Like Beyonce said. Roll the tape. FREEDOM!
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I find the notion of voting on an idea without a plan of implementing it ridiculous.

Yep.
  • Alex Salmond doesn't have a clue what the fuck will happen anymore then anyone in this thread does. Anyway, this is all getting a bit silly. It'll be No.
  • Excuse me for a moment while I continue to find little value in your input.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!