Gigs
  • Yup i saw lcd soundsystem at the connect festival in inverary 2007. They blew the place away that night. Absolute belter of a gig
  • Boolitt wrote:
    Yup i saw lcd soundsystem at the connect festival in inverary 2007. They blew the place away that night. Absolute belter of a gig
    Fucking hell, another one - I was there too! Best festival I’ve ever been to.

Last night was absolutely superb - one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. Like Gav said, the whole vibe was amazing. Pleasure to meet Gav, Reg and 10p in person too - lovely gents. Getting a dirty breakfast now, my heads a bit fuzzy.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Just agreed to take the spare tix for tonight, so we’re following in your footsteps lads. Onwards!
  • You're in for a treat mate. Still can't wipe the smile off my stupid face.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm on another planet of tiredness, getting caught on roadworks to the m8 so getting home around 00:45 but who actually gives a solitary fuck when it was for that. Another level of awesomeness, and there was a moment where I caught myself just flat out dancing to All My Friends and turned and saw Tempy and Gav doing the same. Incredible.

Set list in spoilers
    Spoiler:
  • Pregaming in Kelvingrove Cafe. Pals en route from Edinburgh with our tix, so we’re gonna miss the start of Young Fathers. Getting a bit HYPE now though …
  • poprock wrote:
    Pregaming in Kelvingrove Cafe. Pals en route from Edinburgh with our tix, so we’re gonna miss the start of Young Fathers. Getting a bit HYPE now though …

Young Fathers we’re pretty poor last night tbh. Too much bass.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Boolitt wrote:
    Yup i saw lcd soundsystem at the connect festival in inverary 2007. They blew the place away that night. Absolute belter of a gig
    Fucking hell, another one - I was there tooo! Best festival I’ve ever been to.

Last night was absolutely superb - one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. Like Gav said, the whole vibe was amazing. Pleasure to meet Gav, Reg and 10p in person too - lovely gents. Getting a dirty breakfast now, my heads a bit fuzzy.
    Cool

Think my head is still a bit fuzzy from 2007 mind
  • YF are on point tonight. Harmonies and drums.
  • Okay, LCD are better. Feels like a festival.
  • I’m taking the daughter to see Swifty in about ten days. Whisper this next bit; I’m quite looking forward to it.

All 4 of us then for flight of the chonchords in Leeds a week or two after that then we’re all off to see George Ezra in Sheffield the week before I go see David Sedaris tell stories in york.
  • Gremill wrote:

You can never have too much bass.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That is one of the least true things I’ve ever read.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Gremill wrote:

You can never have too much bass.

I thought that too, but it turns out that you can.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As soon as the bass starts drowning out everything else, it’s too much bass.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    But someone once told it me it was all about the bass.
  • Once Basshunter retired, bass all over the world started cropping up and now we're at epidemic levels. Something needs to be done.
  • I’m taking the daughter to see Swifty in about ten days. Whisper this next bit; I’m quite looking forward to it.

I feel a bit daft for not going to see TayTay on the last tour. I’m retrospect, that was definitely her career high.
  • Beck was excellent last night. I have a very croaky voice this morning as I couldn’t help but sing along.
  • Orbital are playing in Glasgow’s George Square in August. Looks like £27.50 a ticket.
  • edit: misread that ticket price, seems decent!
  • That even includes Ticketmaster tax. Although they’ll add delivery. And card charges.
  • Currently on the train on the way home having been to All Points East last night.  Highlights...

Courtney Barnett - I first saw her live in a tiny room in Leeds, so it was kind of bizarre watching her on a massive stage in a field with thousands of people.  That first time round, she was clearly still pretty new to it all, burying her songs in Sonic Youth inspired white noise, and I was a little doubtful about how she would translate to a festival environment.  I needn’t have worried - she was on confident form, much poppier than before, and easily taking the huge crown along with her - to her obvious delight.

Patti Smith -  So, erm (whisper it), I’ve never really been that into Patti Smith.  I understood her place in the pantheon as it were, but never really took the time to listen to her.  As such it took me a while to warm to this slightly haggard old woman stood before me reciting Ginsberg.  Suffice to say, I got there.  (Much to the relief of my wife, who loves Patti Smith, and was lapping it up from the start.). By the finale - Gloria, inevitably - I was there with the rest, arms in the air communing with the spirit of creativity or whatever the Hell it was she was talking about, lost and delighted.

And then there was Nick Cave.

I’ve seen Cave many times before, and thought I knew what to expect.  He exceeded it, and then some.  It was a glorious melting pot of cathartic rage, love, grief and redemption.  By this point (thanks to an ill advised trip to the other stage to see a bit of poor St Vincent playing to practically no-one because her set clashed with both Smith and Cave) we were no longer nicely at the front of the heaving throng, stuck somewhere in the middle of a bloody great field, and still it felt intimate.  

It was heart rending, and beautiful, and ridiculous.  Kylie turned up, because of course she did, and an insane number of audience members got dragged up on stage, but none of it felt gimmicky or glitzy, but all oddly necessary and appropriate.  

The last two songs are ones I’m usually ambivalent about, but again, here they became something greater.  Stagger Lee, delivered from within that throng of drunken audience members transcends its macho murder fantasy to become weirdly celebratory, so that when the titular arsehole offs the devil himself, you feel like he’s doing it on your behalf.  Then Push The Sky away - oh my God - how I ever found that song dull is now beyond me. The bloke next to me was weeping on his girlfriends shoulder.  

If I have a criticism, it’s that it was all over way too soon.  Wonderful, miraculous stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have three colleagues who sit within about 3 metres of me who, completely independently of each other, all went to that as well. Seems to have been quite the hot ticket.
  • Once Basshunter retired, bass all over the world started cropping up and now we're at epidemic levels. Something needs to be done.

Underrated post.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Good description of Nick Cave there, Tin. Going by my own past experience about a third of his gigs are THAT fucking good. When you get him on a good night, you’re in for a properly transcendental treat.
  • The The tonight at the Royal Albert Hall. I last saw them 25 years ago. Feeling excited and old.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Oh wow, didn't even know they had reformed. I got into them quite late but would love to have seen them live. Let us know what you thought.

Edit: Not playing Manchester unfortunately. Just read that Matt lost his dad last week whilst enroute to Sweden. He couldn't cancel the tour due to the financial implications which is very sad.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • The band were really good and Matt's voice has lost nothing over the years but I wish I was going to see them at Brixton Academy tonight as the Royal Albert Hall really isn't suitable for rock/ pop concerts. The sound got a bit muddled at times with the drums and bass smothering everything else. I don't know if it would have sounded better if we were down in the stalls but being up high I felt a bit detached from it all at times. I don't like seated venues  much anyway and we were constantly having to get up to let people past to go to the bar and toilets plus there were some talkative wankers nearby. Back to the band... They stuck with the same line up (drummer, bassist, pianist, guitarist and Matt) throughout with no special guests or backing singers but seemed to pull off the full The The sound. Good mixture of songs from across all of the albums and a few tracks I hadn't heard. Uncertain Smile, complete with extended piano solo, was probably the highlight for me. It must have been difficult performing following the death of his dad and there were quite a few family photos and film clips included in the video collage showing behind the band. Despite my gripes about the venue it was a top gig and I hope they carry on beyond this tour.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!