Gigs
  • Its always worth remembering that Fat Mike is a cunt.
  • Yep. One of those guys you’re glad to meet but even more glad to walk away from.
  • poprock wrote:
    I hope they do The Devil Went Down To Georgia. Theirs is the best version.

Better than that washing machine?
  • They didn’t play it last night, so the washing machine wins.
  • poprock wrote:
    I was at NOFX’s last Scottish gig. Sometime in the early-mid 2000s at Gig on the Green. He was a massive dick to tech crew before the show, and you really didn’t do that back then – Mad Crew were all ex Hell’s Angels. He actually threatened one of the female crew members. They told him to shut up or get stabbed. He made light of it during their set. So two of the stage techs stood at the side of the stage waiting for him with large screwdrivers.

They were on the wind up, but Fat Mike took it as a serious threat and said he would never ever come back to play Scotland. And he’s stuck to that.

That’s what actually happened, you can read Mike’s version of it in the NOFX autobiography.

Wow, what a tool cheers Pops. I can imagine that both parties may have been trying to be funny but didn't quite get each others humour.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I’m seeing Mattiel in an hour or so. Deliberately avoided her Glastonbury set so that I get some surprises tonight, but I hear she was ace.
  • Mattiel was a lot better than I expected. Much more full-on retro in a live setting than she is on record/video. Even did an Amy Winehouse cover (which was her one mis-step, I think). Some surf guitar, some rockabilly, and a very ’60s vibe overall, but without any vintage dressing up of it – and Mattiel herself has strong stage presence. She’s confrontational, stalking the stage and daring you not to like her. Hot stuff.
  • Keep the Change is a corker.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It really is, but this one was the standout of the night for me. Not what I expected, but it really worked live. She was practically spitting the lyrics, genuine venom in her voice.

• Rammstein tomorrow.
    Where is that German phrase book?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Rammstein tomorrow. Where is that German phrase book?

Fuck sake dude :D

page 43:

Djornson wrote:
    Anybody going to Rammstein? I am :)

We could have met :) Maybe we did, i spoke to lots of people. It was amazing
  • poprock wrote:
    Mattiel was a lot better than I expected. Much more full-on retro in a live setting than she is on record/video. Even did an Amy Winehouse cover (which was her one mis-step, I think). Some surf guitar, some rockabilly, and a very ’60s vibe overall, but without any vintage dressing up of it – and Mattiel herself has strong stage presence. She’s confrontational, stalking the stage and daring you not to like her. Hot stuff.

I saw her at Glasto, she was great, only heard one song.

While we're on, best bands at Glasto:
    1) Fat White Family
    2) Idles
    3) The Cure
    4) Fontaines DC
    5) Interpol
  • On a train to Manchester atm for The National tonight. I know none of their music.
  • National were great, not so keen on the new stuff....anyhow my new indie darlings:

• I’m off to see The Gossip tonight. 

I have very little idea what to expect because the last time I saw them was in 2001 at a riot grrrl festival. Beth Ditto stripped naked near the start of that gig and was drunk as fuck by the end of it. She tried to get off with just about every girl at the club afterwards, despite being almost unable to stand or walk in a straight line. Musically, they were fucking glorious. Downright filthy blues with stomping drum lines and punk rock vocals.

I mean … The Gossip have come a long way since then. This is a reunion tour, for fuck’s sake. Will they be too polished? Will they still have the groove they used to have? Or will the edges be too smooth? Will Beth behave now that she’s a grown-up? Is there any chance at all that they’ll play (Take Back) The Revolution?
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    National were great, not so keen on the new stuff....anyhow my new indie darlings:

They're on tour in Dec/Jan - going to see them in January at the Academy in Newcastle.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The Gossip are still awesome and Beth just bought me a tequila. She said she owed me it from ’01. I am fully flabbergasted.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Obviously that happened, it’s you. Glad you had a good time.
  • There really is something about a Glasgow crowd. That was about 20% better than seeing them in any other city.
  • poprock wrote:
    The Gossip are still awesome and Beth just bought me a tequila. She said she owed me it from ’01. I am fully flabbergasted.

Quality.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Florence and the Machine wasnt my bag but what a fucking voice, chills.

Sigma.and Boys Noize however were incredible. Sigma doing a mix from.house through to jungle.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wowsers, proper spanning the divide there

As a bloke who doesn;t listen to enough dance music (post 98 anyway) that was obviously facetious, sorry

edit: that said, I can never get enough soulwax, my god those biys are genius
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You should come to Romania cocko, the women are next level, you'll be like a pig in shit
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dude the town's called Clunge, if it wasn't dripping in fanny I'd be phoning trading standards
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Jenny Lewis tonight, I quite like her now.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So, apparently I’m watching a Maraca Tu band which is basically samba with a vocalist and OMFG this shit is transcendent.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    One maraca wouldn't make anywhere as good a sound as tu

edit: Dammit, I was thinking of castanets
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So, I might be joining a second band.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    FM?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I just noticed that the Detroit Cobras are playing Glasgow again in October.

The Detroit fucking Cobras! One of the best live bands on the planet. Tickets bought.

The venue’s description is spot-on, if a little florid: “Blurring the lines between R&B and R&R and soul, The Detroit Cobras are the go-to party band for those in the know. Singer Rachel Nagy and guitarist Mary Ramirez are the bad girls by the exit doors at the school dance, all leather and heels, sneaking smokes and passing the flask. Surrounding themselves with a rotating cast of Motown’s finest rockers, The Detroit Cobras specialize in unearthing and reinvigorating the hits, near hits and sometimes total misses from the deep and groovy history of soul, and making them their own. The Detroit Cobras albums are like a secret decoder ring that helps lead the way to a better, more soulful forgotten world.”

October is starting to look like party month. So far I’m going to see The Detroit Cobras, The Slackers, Mixmaster Mike, and Lamb.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!