Recreational Drugs
  • Maybe I should change this thread again to the Townes Van Zandt Memorial thread? Or just start a new one, which would be much more sensible obviously.
  • I've considered starting a country thread a few times, but doubted enough people would chip in.  Anyway, back to the drugs.
  • Does anyone have a predilection for dissociative drugs? Ketamine is the classic example but methoxetamine, 3-MeO-PCP and 4-MeO-PCP were quite easy to procure before they were banned a few months ago. I thoroughly enjoy these drugs, which work by antagonizing the NMDA receptor which causes a very strange and dreamlike state utterly different from the kinds of consciousness shifts engendered by LSD and other psychedelics, which act on serotonin. Dissociation has marked psychical effects such as numbness and strange shifts in bodily perception, but what I find really interesting is that they encourage intense introspection while very much dulling the emotional reaction to what you are thinking about. You find that you can think very directly about painful things in your life which you might well avoid thinking about while being removed from the pain and anxiety the thoughts would otherwise cause, and it can be quite therapeutic.

That all sounds very serious, but I do find them fun too. That freedom from anxiety can make you feel very much happy and a peace with yourself and world, and this feeling often remains with you after the drug has worn off. Also, because the drugs are not very stimulating, you can usually get to sleep before having to wait till their out of your system, unlike most psychedelic drugs. They're an acquired taste, and not very enjoyable unless you really enjoy weirdness for it's own sake - above all the experience of dissociation is weird. Personally, having acquired a taste through repeated experience of methoxetamine (I had done quite a bit of ket years before, but lost my connect) it became very much my recreational drug of choice. I went through a fair bit of 3-MeO-PCP too, but never got a line on it's 4-methoxilated cousin. I was a bit distraught when these drugs (collectively known as arylcyclohexylamines) became illegal, but I think I was beginning to develop something of a psychological addiction to them (they're not psychically habit forming) so it's probably been a good thing for me health-wise.

I find it very difficult to say what it is about dissociation that so appeals to me (along with many, many other people - the bluelight thread on MXE has gone into it's twelfth iteration I think) and I find that in itself to be fascinating. Just what is it about that complex of emotional and perceptual changes that I find so compulsively appealing? Because on paper it sound at best neutral, at worst disturbing and unpleasant.

Any other silent rollers out there? Can you describe the appeal of these oddball drugs any better than me?
  • meta - do you not worry about the long- (and short-) term effects of messing with your brain so much (not to mention potential damage to other organs too)?
  • What the fuck is this thread then?

summary?

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Drug talk. Experiences, thoughts, that kind of stuff.
  • meta - do you not worry about the long- (and short-) term effects of messing with your brain so much (not to mention potential damage to other organs too)?

Perhaps it's some ignorance on my behalf, but i'd probably feel the same. Crushing up pills and extracting ingredients sits a little differently with me, although i'd admit to knowing very little about it, so perhaps that's why. 

I realise your concern could perhaps just as easily be directed at myself here. 

Isn't codeine really addictive? Aside from tobacco and alcohol, i save the addictive highs for special occasions.
  • I'm having to resist a pm to find out how it's done.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I believe Scrawl's working on pamphlets.
  • A well considered pamphlet can't be rushed though.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Drug talk. Experiences, thoughts, that kind of stuff.
    Taking drugs is never the great idea it appears to be in your youth.
    Some day in the future you will remember that g.man pointed this out to you and that he was correct.
    Sadly, this is a lesson that everyone has to learn for themselves, and I'm not about to try and convince anyone otherwise.

time will tell

g.man
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't think I'm likely to do many more drugs in my lifetime beyond weed and alcohol, but I'm pleased to have had the experiences I've had.
  • I don't say this argumentatively, but what do you say to the older people- and they do exist- who've managed to responsibly enjoy the occasional high through middle age and beyond? It's not all hedonism and excess, surely?
  • I'd say...lol.

seriously

g.man
  • Type it by all means, but please don't say it.
  • Indeed.
  • metascrawl wrote:
    What I find hard to understand is what on earth 16mg of codeine is supposed to achieve in terms of pain relief. Even with zero tolerance to opoids it can't have any real effect. 512mg only just about gets you high, so what can 16mg possibly do that a gram of paracetamol alone can't take care of?

Have you ever had toothache?

Paracetamol really isn't great for stronger pain relief. As an anti-inflammitory it's rubbish too, which is why people often take it in combination with ibuprofen. To be honest, if it's something paracetamol can take care of, I'd rather just suffer it for a while.

When I broke my collar bone, I was on Solpodol. For the most part I didn't take anything for it (which astounded my Dad), but when I did take it the pain dissapeared completely. Bear in mind here that I managed to snap the bone in two places, so I essentially had a floating bone sticking into me.

Yes I do, of course.
    Isn't codeine really addictive? Aside from tobacco and alcohol, i save the addictive highs for special occasions.

Yes, all opiates and opoids are addictive. You're more likely to do your self serious harm through being a long term fag smoker than becoming addicted to codeine. Codeine isn't toxic in any way, and as long as you do the extraction with a great deal of care and attention in order to remove all the APAP it's perfectly safe. I don't do it often enough to be psychically addicted. Not at the moment anyway. If it happens it happens, I'm not sure I care that much at the moment. But that's because I'm having a shitty time at the moment, I'll feel differently in due course.
    n0face wrote:
    I'm having to resist a pm to find out how it's done.

Plenty of methods online. Ignore any that tell you to start with hot or warm water (why?) and you're golden.
    g.man wrote:
    Taking drugs is never the great idea it appears to be in your youth. Some day in the future you will remember that g.man pointed this out to you and that he was correct.

Yes, because you're the very first person that's ever pointed out to me that drugs can be bad, and I'll never forget the moment that this new information was revealed to me. Thanks for that you wise, wise old man.
  • I'm perhaps fortunate enough to have never been into drugs when i was feeling shit about things. For me it's always been a recreational activity, rather than an escape.
  • I don't find them very consoling, in fact they tend to amplify things and make stuff seem worse. On the flip side when everything is going well a little toot here and there just seems to make the sun even shinier.
  • I'm perhaps fortunate enough to have never been into drugs when i was feeling shit about things. For me it's always been a recreational activity, rather than an escape.

I had fun last night, watching movies, listening to music, feeling good. So it was recreational. But it was also a bit of a break from the anxiety I'm feeling due to something very painful happening to me very recently which makes it very difficult to enjoy movies and music or anything else for the time being. So I don't see recreation and escape as mutually exclusive at the moment, quite the opposite in fact.
    n0face wrote:
    I don't find them very consoling, in fact they tend to amplify things and make stuff seem worse. On the flip side when everything is going well a little toot here and there just seems to make the sun even shinier.

Depends on the substance surely? I certainly wouldn't do anything stimulating or psychedelic in my current state of mind. I just wanna be sedated.
  • This thread is interesting. I've always wondered what it would be like to be a user, casual or heavy.

When I watch a film, at home or atcthe cinema, or when I play a game or watch TV, I have nothing. No food, no drink, no snacks or beers. I've always found it odd that people do. Not that I never take a drink to the cinema, but it's really rare.

Early talk if legal highs is true, at Reading one year my ex's connections failed to turn up any substances so we thought we'd try the legal alternative and it is the worst thing I've ever done, 20 minutes of stuff seeming weird and fun for 6 hours of crawling to and from the toilet vomiting bile and with a killer headache.

I always regret not trying more stuff, but with Uni looming the chances are still there, though I fear the halcyon days are gone and it'll all be pricks on eccies. The Internet age doesn't really suit the drug vibe.
  • n0face wrote:
    When I broke my collar bone, I was on Solpodol. For the most part I didn't take anything for it (which astounded my Dad), but when I did take it the pain dissapeared completely. Bear in mind here that I managed to snap the bone in two places, so I essentially had a floating bone sticking into me.

Solpodol is 30/500 so you were getting 60mg per dose rather than the 16mg you get in cocodemol. That I can believe would provide significant pain relief.
  • I have never broken my collar bone, however tramadol and general anesthetic gave me the most amazing lucid dreams I've ever experienced.
  • Last night i was in a really convincing dream that i was in a relationship with one of my least attractive friends. I woke up genuinely feeling more affection for her. Weird.
  • metascrawl wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Taking drugs is never the great idea it appears to be in your youth. Some day in the future you will remember that g.man pointed this out to you and that he was correct.
    Yes, because you're the very first person that's ever pointed out to me that drugs can be bad, and I'll never forget the moment that this new information was revealed to me. Thanks for that you wise, wise old man.

You're welcome

g.man
  • I don't like the term 'legal high'. Its a swizzy marketing technique by drug peddlers to push untested and unverified bullshit. As people have said E's and whatnot are at least a known quantity (unless of course its been cut with Ajax toilet cleaner or whatever).

I've never taken drugs, I quite like my mind as it is and the risk of damaging it is too much for me (even if the net effect could be better). I've never smoked as it seems a waste of money to me for little benefit (even though all the cool people in films used to smoke).
  • I regret the volume of drugs I did as a young lad, if not the experience. I let them get in the way of study and other things though, which was quite a big problem and has undoubtedly affected my path in life. Magic Mushrooms were a very weird one; one time was simply hilarious, and one time almost everything that could go wrong went wrong.

Had an amazing time recently with my first smoke in 3 years. Great company, a little bit to toke, and some cold beers. And cheese. I won't say who with 'cos it's not my place to, but it was great. And I'm fairly sure it made me amazing at Street Fighter, even if only for a very short while, haha!
  • The trouble with illegal drugs is the human cost of getting them delivered. Legalise the lot say I. 

Also, quantum mechanics and drugs aren't the best mix.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!