Gadgets, Tech, etc.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Vela's requirements have me intrigued.

1. Dont trust google or facebook or anything with their spyware installed on it
    2. I have 3 other internet capable devices in the house. I can do without one more, and a cheap plan for $10/mo exists with unlimited talk/text.

Nothing intriguing, I promise. Far too boring tbh.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • also thanks yoss for and cinty for some more ideas to research :)
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • A disclaimer: Yoss’ idea is probably better as you would imagine his phones will receive ongoing security updates. If you go down the custom firmware route you might need to stay on top of that yourself.
  • ...well, excluding the phones with a $13000 pricetag.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cheapskate.
  • Eh, Im being forced to sell the home for a large loss, so I'm allowed some limits.
  • A lazy $13k for a phone. Just what vela is looking for.

;)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Fucks sake.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • OK, so the following are out:
    Lightphone - not aus compatible
    noki 2720 - unremovable google

Now under consideration:
    efoundation OS install on an android device.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Probably already been posted, but...

cybertruck_tesla_memes.jpg
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/nov/24/tim-berners-lee-unveils-global-plan-to-save-the-internet

Sir Tim Berners-Lee has launched a global action plan to save the web from political manipulation, fake news, privacy violations and other malign forces that threaten to plunge the world into a “digital dystopia”.

The Contract for the Web requires endorsing governments, companies and individuals to make concrete commitments to protect the web from abuse and ensure it benefits humanity.

... sounds like a good pl..
    The document, published by Berners-Lee’s Web Foundation, has the backing of more than 150 organisations, from Microsoft, Google and Facebook to the digital rights group the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Oh.

Well, why fucking bother.
  • Should've just consulted us. We're expert web users.
  • Google and facebook are the ones responsible for ruining the internet.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    From the Xbox One thread...

For those with the LG Oled, do you have any issues when viewing dark scenes? Black is very black on mine, and anything bright and colourful looks awesome, but I see very noticable banding/pixelation in scenes of more subtle darkness.

eg. if i run this test video, the majority of it looks awesome. but the bits where it's mainly a blank screen with a bit of text and a sort of lensflare/halo around the text, it really noticeably breaks up into solid chunks of about 4 shades of grey

Do you get similar if you try it on yours?

Clearly banding on my OLED in the picture below, but it's a low res image despite what the stats say. Bloody awful if it's an original ATMOS demo. 

eObRJDw.jpg 

This vid below shows great detail, black level, natural motion, colour and greys. Shame about the music. 

OLED's can struggle trying to 'fill in the blanks' when presenting a less than 4k image, particularly in darker areas. Tweaking the brightness setting can help. Personally the inky blacks and bedazzling colours make up for any small rendering 
    foibles.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Cheers Hair, will check out that other video.
    i think the biggest disappointment with getting a great screen is realising that 99% of what goes in is now not good enough! ;)

Hair, is that diagnostic view thing something you can get on the standard TV or you got some electrickery going on?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Disappointment with getting a great screen is realising that 99% of what goes in is now not good enough! ;)

Yep. But the highs make up for it
  • oh yeah. the good stuff is almost too good. Put some nature doc stuff on, tried the iplayer UHD for the latest Attenborough and it was insanely good.
    then i took the dog for a walk and was looking at the trees and stuff and thinking "it looked better on the TV". :)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hair, is that diagnostic view thing something you can get on the standard TV or you got some electrickery going on?

Used the LG's YouTube App and clicked it's 'nerd' options (it's shaped like a bug).
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I spunked for the Netflix 4k account and their UHD HDR stuff is dang impressive for streaming. Nothing holds a candle to a well made UHD Bluray though.
  • I done the same too, though a bit disappointed that there aren't more films with it. Seems all netflix own content is on there, so the kids are happy watching weird american cake baking and kids shows...whereas I might have to watch 'Bad boys'! ;)
  • This vid below shows great detail, black level, natural motion, colour and greys. Shame about the music.   

Holly shitballs i love this TV
  • My new fibre broadband router is busted. Lasted all of 10 mins.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I impulse-bought a Sonos beam to go with the old telly in the playroom last week. I’ve got a couple of play:1s that don’t get used much, so set them up for surround sound. Really impressed with how good it sounds. It’s not a patch on my full 5.1 set-up in the lounge, but given the difference in price I’m pretty pleased with it. Got the pc hooked up to that telly too so might dive into something more immersive than slay the spire.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Is it allowed to discuss IPTV in here, or on the board at all? Specifically with respect to using it on an Apple TV app.

Apologies if it's not allowed.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Daddy add a sub when you can. Really makes the movies zing!!
  • Oh man, nearly folded and bought a sub last week, it’s so pricey though! No need really though with the size of room, the 1s seem to fire out a decent amount of low end.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Is it allowed to discuss IPTV in here, or on the board at all? Specifically with respect to using it on an Apple TV app.

Apologies if it's not allowed.

Don’t see why not, although maybe a topic most suited to the dark legend thread.
  • Aye, if it's legal, stick it anywhere mate. If it's dodgy, stick it in the Dark Legend thread in Forum Talk.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Thanks.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!