Gadgets, Tech, etc.
  • On the record player subject... I sent my mate a photo of 3 CDs last night, work the caption, "£3".

In turn, he sent me an image of 3 Vinyls, titled, "£118".

Yeah, fuck that.

I used to buy on vinyl because it was cheaper than CD. Now that it’s a niche, premium product I’m out. I don’t even have a hi-fi any more. I’m all digital for music.
  • Yeah.  I still buy CDs, but only to rip the FLAC from (and then I listen to them on Apple Music anyway!)
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    It’s barely the price of a pair of Trump trainers.

I wouldn’t buy those either, to be fair. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I still hold out hope that one day I’ll be able to afford a place where I can have a room filled with books, records, CDs, and the equipment to play the discs on. A nice chair and a lamp would round out the room.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I'm tempted to get into vinyl.  My brother in law gifts a lot of vinyl and absolutely hits the spot with recommending music, and there's something nice about getting something physical.  What I like about the ideal of vinyl is that there's an 'event' to it.  You pick an LP, you put it on, you set it going, and you get the artist's idea and vision from scratch, rather than shuffled tracks without any connection.
  • nice one Davy
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    I'm tempted to get into vinyl.  My brother in law gifts a lot of vinyl and absolutely hits the spot with recommending music, and there's something nice about getting something physical.  What I like about the ideal of vinyl is that there's an 'event' to it.  You pick an LP, you put it on, you set it going, and you get the artist's idea and vision from scratch, rather than shuffled tracks without any connection.

I still like listening to an album beginning to end. Doesn't have to be vinyl - CD does the job too (though older albums sequences must have been affected by the vinyl's limitations of playtime per side.

In particular listening to Wish You Were Here beginning to end is a real pleasure.

I've started buying certain albums again on vinyl but I'm being pretty selective.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    I'm tempted to get into vinyl.  My brother in law gifts a lot of vinyl and absolutely hits the spot with recommending music, and there's something nice about getting something physical.  What I like about the ideal of vinyl is that there's an 'event' to it.  You pick an LP, you put it on, you set it going, and you get the artist's idea and vision from scratch, rather than shuffled tracks without any connection.
    I still like listening to an album beginning to end. Doesn't have to be vinyl - CD does the job too (though older albums sequences must have been affected by the vinyl's limitations of playtime per side. In particular listening to Wish You Were Here beginning to end is a real pleasure. I've started buying certain albums again on vinyl but I'm being pretty selective.
    Yeah Dark Side of the Moon richly rewards a full play through as well

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pink Floyd were particularly good at building an album to be listened to as a single piece.  I have both Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here on vinyl.

The Johnny Cash San Quentin and Folsom Prison live albums are best listened to that way too.  Other obvious picks are Tubular Bells and the Brian Eno ambient stuff like Music for Airports and the Apollo album.
  • Damn it's like I've walked back onto the hmv shop floor here :)

I've got a cheapo 70 quid turntable but a nice 200 quid Sony speaker it goes through. Does the job for me but I am noticing maybe the belt is going on the turntable. Things feel that one or two bpm slower.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had to change the belt on mine.
  • davyK wrote:
    Pink Floyd were particularly good at building an album to be listened to as a single piece.  I have both Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here on vinyl. The Johnny Cash San Quentin and Folsom Prison live albums are best listened to that way too.  Other obvious picks are Tubular Bells and the Brian Eno ambient stuff like Music for Airports and the Apollo album.
    Wish you were here and dark side of the moon are one of those few occasions where artistic merit and mega popularity converge.  Not having the wall though

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Not as keen on The Wall - though when I last listened to that it was a bit better than I remembered.

I also have Animals and Piper at the Gates of Dawn on CD. But I found them harder to get into.

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew takes some effort but it's ultimately rewarding. It's best to just put it on and let it flow over you instead of actively listening. Your brain eventually kicks in.  A Kind of Blue is infinitely more accessible and a regular listen for me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!