Country Music
  • That is fucking amazing.

Just ordered the stubbie holder.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Not country exactly but it's nice to see the youth have heard of Chris Isaak.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Chris Isaac’s Wicked Game was one of those perfect versions. No cover matches up to it. It’s nice that people keep trying, but every cover version just makes me want to go back to the original.
  • Saw him on the Wicked Game tour at the Pavillion in weegieland back in the day. Amazing concert. Man could charm the pants off the entire audience.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I’ll bet he could. Male or female, straight or gay.
  • poprock wrote:
    Chris Isaac’s Wicked Game was one of those perfect versions. No cover matches up to it. It’s nice that people keep trying, but every cover version just makes me want to go back to the original.

This.  It's a perfect sounding song, any variation never ticks all the boxes at once.
  • The only one that I enjoyed was the one used in the announce trailer for Forza Horizon 3. Genuine goosebumps though my own personal hype surrounding that game played a big part.

• g.man wrote:
    Saw him on the Wicked Game tour at the Pavillion in weegieland back in the day. Amazing concert. Man could charm the pants off the entire audience.

Gibson made an experimental guitar that sounded so like Chis Isaak they gave it to him. The man is a legend.

"For my electric, I've got a one-off Gibson version of a Gretsch 6120, a sort of Chet Atkins thing. They made one of these things and gave it to me to see if I liked it, and I liked it so much I've been playing it ever since. People told me they thought it was a White Falcon, but it's not. It's just a white Gibson. I don't think they ever manufactured any of the things. They strung up this one prototype, scratched their heads, and said, 'Huh. Give it to Isaak."
  • Had the Isaak best of on at work through my big headphines today, lossless wanker etc. I'm not a fan of some of it, but I'm a huge fan of certain tracks. Blue Hotel s great, plus not many singers can pull off a successful Woy Orbison cover.
  • Yeah, some of it isn't great. I'd still shag him.
  • New Larkin Poe album today. Good news for me.
  • My friend Dominique has a new single out and it’s fucking ace. She’s been on a bit of a musical hiatus for a few years and it’s great to see her back. Excuse the slightly amateur video and just listen to the song – Dom’s the real thing.

If you like it, please consider buying it from whatever digital service you usually use. Every 79p helps, as does every Spotify stream.

• Strong chorus, good stuff. Bit of Lindi Ortega going on maybe.
  • Her earlier stuff had more of a general vintage pop feel, she really wanted to lean more into the country influence and eventually came up with this. Definitely still pop choruses, but more honest about her background. I like it.
  • That’s pretty bloody good!  See there’s also an older EP of hers on Google Play; will give that a listen over the weekend too.  Good shout out.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Deeply into the new Colter Wall album. Man has real talent, two top albums under his belt now.

Yeah I’ve been giving this one a fair hammering this week.  Top shelf, Saskatchewan In 1881 and Calgary Round Up especially are mint.

Didn’t realise Calgary Round Up was a Wilf Carter song - I remember Dad being a fan of his, though I don’t know much myself.  Just looked him up on Itunes and his Greatest Hits album is 183 songs deep.  Ease up brother you’re not Elvis!

Anyway:

Edit: can’t believe he’s only 23.  Voice does not match the man at all.
  • Had the two albums on heavy rotation for a month, need to buy the EP really. Bald Butte is his best track imo, stunning story song, but the recent album is all 7s and 8s, very solid. Calgary Round Up is my RDR2 theme, love the yodelling at the end, solid effort great track.
  • Was good mate, I mean I'm a fan so I was set to thoroughly enjoy regardless, I think, but the missus (who knew nothing about Blaze Foley) liked it as well, although only in a 2.5/5 kinda way.

The film contains a load of Townes Van Zandt too, so worth watching if you're into him also. They had Charlie Sexton playing TVZ and I was impressed with how much he looked like him, imo.

Overall it wasn't anything incredible or unexpected, although it did offer up the story in a non-linear fashion, which was good I thought.

Also had yer man Ethan Hawke come out and intro it, then do a Q&A after, which also was good (and unexpected). Would you believe the next day I also bumped into Spike Lee at a hotel in central? Was an A-list packed weekend, that.

The film hasn't been picked up for release over here, Ethan was saying (we're on first name terms now), but I'd recommend it for a lazy weekend afternoon / evening with your favourite whisky and a sweet doob.
  • I've give it 4/5 but as said, I like the man and his music.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I'd recommend it for a lazy weekend afternoon / evening with your favourite whisky and a sweet doob.

Ideal conditions for almost anything.  Add a wood fire and my brand new dressing gown.
  • Moot's toasty fireside doobie dram mix:

Isbell proving he could write stunning songs before he could record consistent albums:

Ever heard a song covered by Emmylou Harris where the vocals that pale into insignificance compared to the original female artist?  They do exist:

HERE HE COMES

• That's my Sunday eve sorted, cheers geez.
  • I just listened to my own playlist (for the second time today). So glad I found my genre, happy place would be an understatement. Drinking to Guy Clark, God tier if you look at his best work.

I'm also tobacco free since last Saturday so I'm a bit all over the place tonight as it's my drink day, don't get on it midweek. This us my big push for not smoking when I drink, so serious about it I've started now rather than on Jan 1.
  • I don't really smoke when I'm not drinking, I can take it or leave it midweek, but fuuck it's tough to get out the woods. I should be on the doorstep.
  • Aha, I was in here typing bollocks again I see.  Business as usual then.

• Well it's been well over a month now that I've had nothing but this song in my head, pretty much, with the odd flit to Life of Sin or Living the Dream, a smattering of Turtles too.

But this one, this the daddy for me atm, love this live version especially - the guitarist is sick:

• I'm a vaper now, hopefully my rig will arrive in time for my mid-afternoon pub trip tomorrow.  Then it's home half cut for muted football and more sad songs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!