Country Music
  • Suitable page turn for a country thread.
  • Here we go then.  My Prine top twelve, because ten was impossible.

The top tier absolutely rivals Dylan's best individual songs for me.

@XOMuggins, give 'em a go if you've got a free hour.
  • Gah I forgot Angel From Montgomery.  Gonna slip Bonnie Raitt's version in:

And this pic 'cos I love it:

21cedca9a4347ac0b5cfb3a6bcc50c47.jpg
  • I like to think Prine is the artist Dylan wishes he was. Surprised at no Fish and Whistle, although it's probably a cliché now. Will bump these at work tomorrow. I'll offer my 10(12) although I'm not as well versed in the catelogue.
  • Speed of the sound of loneliness and Souvenirs would be there for me, but again that just speaks to my lack of album knowledge.
  • Also that big old goofy world vid where he's peak 80s.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Speed of the sound of loneliness and Souvenirs would be there for me, but again that just speaks to my lack of album knowledge.

Speed of the Sound of Loneliness, Unwed Fathers and possibly Middleman were my nearest misses I reckon.  If you haven't heard it I bet you £5 you'd dig Middleman.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    not listened to in ages, popped up on twotter talking about a show, seems some new stuff too

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Oh man that's a shame about John Prine cancelling.  Was so looking forward to his Melbourne show. 

Best wishes to the great man.

When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Tidal chucking up a new feat.JP on me:

• Never heard of John Prine until this morning, reading this thread. Then Spotify gives me 'Pretty Good' at random.

Loved it. Time to do a dive into his music!

I think that one song is better than anything I've heard by Dylan. Sorry Muggins... Tastes, innit.
  • I like to think JP is an artist Dylan wishes he was (not in a sense of, he's better or anything, although I do prefer him these days, but in a sense of JP's music strikes me as exactly the kind of Americana stuff Dylan would do/like.)

This is all in my head ofc.
  • Bob Dylan said....
    Prine’s stuff is pure Proustian existentialism. Midwestern mindtrips to the nth degree. And he writes beautiful songs. I remember when Kris Kristofferson first brought him on the scene. All that stuff about “Sam Stone” the soldier junky daddy and “Donald and Lydia,” where people make love from ten miles away. Nobody but Prine could write like that. If I had to pick one song of his, it might be “Lake Marie.” I don’t remember what album that’s on.
    It's on Lost Dogs & Mixed Blessings btw.  Noob.
  • Aye that was the quote I had in the back of my mind, I'll take Johnny P over Bobby D these days, although perhaps that's just less exposure to the former :shrug:
  • Apparently Bright Eyes are touring. Got an email about it from Spotify. Would like to see them/him. Have really admired their music for a long time.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Never heard of John Prine until this morning, reading this thread. Then Spotify gives me 'Pretty Good' at random. Loved it. Time to do a dive into his music! I think that one song is better than anything I've heard by Dylan. Sorry Muggins... Tastes, innit.
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Apparently Bright Eyes are touring. Got an email about it from Spotify. Would like to see them/him. Have really admired their music for a long time.
    Aha, then I'll post this:

And quite possibly my favourite Prine cover ever:

Great title for the covers album too - Broken Hearts and Dirty Windows (full lines: broken hearts and dirty windows make life difficult to see/that's why last night and this morning always look the same to me).  Cracking album btw, also has the likes of Juston Vernon, My Morning Jacket (obvs, Jim James is always on these things), Josh Ritter, Old Crow Medicine Show, Lambchop and Driveby Truckers.
  • Good man, Moot! On the train, so perfect for listening to those links.
  • That's a great cover by Oberst. He looks like Trent Reznor's skaggy wee brother.*

*line borrowed from Afgav.
  • Gentlemen, have a gander. Bro sent this to me and I haven't watched it yet, but Sturgill and Prine? Got a be worth a look.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=AqnIWoaF6zU
  • They're straight up muckers these days. Prine co-wrote Good Luck on the latest Sturg album*

*info revealed by afgav.
  • Holy fuck, really?*

*afgav's quite the dude, though.
  • Fuck it. More Sturgill. Might have been linked a free pages back but who cares when it's this good.

Call to Arms on SNL.
    https://youtu.be/qsrsrOB0zNQ

Still sad I missed his gig.
  • Man this was a pretty depressing read:

https://uproxx.com/indie/sturgill-simpson-interview-sound-and-fury-tour/

Note the following re. the recent European dates;

Some nights, like the London show, the crowd was dead. They had a mezzanine with tables and silver spoons and shit. You just know 30 seconds into the first song this is going to be a long fucking night, because you get what you give, you know? And I kind of slagged the crowd a little bit too, because they weren’t giving us any energy. So, I just said what I knew would piss them off, which is like, “Germany was more fucking wild than you guys.” The Londoners hate that shit. It’s the other L.A. I think I’ll just play Glasgow and Dublin twice and skip London next time.

Agree with him that the crowd were shit at that gig.
  • I noticed the needle after the early Clappers cover, which he'd introduced as one of his favourite songs. "Oh right. Well, now we've got that shit out the way" *straight into next song*.
  • I don't think we'll get another country-styled album from him again, certainly not going by his comments in that interview. Still, tastes and moods ebb and flow right? Sounds like he himself can't say what musical place he'll be in 10 years time or so.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I saw a couple of the videos taken by someone who was clearly really enjoying themselves, and there was a definite lack of energy. Like he said you get what you give, looked like he gave up early
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's a pretty brutal interview in places. It's mostly g'wan lad stuff but some of the Elektra bashing gets a hmm from me. They funded a 1.3m Netflix special - which it seems he had some level of creative control over - then he refused to promote it. That's kinda out-there in terms of supporting your artist.
  • Anyone ever listened to much Maria McKee?  Show Me Heaven isn't even a guilty please, it's a straight up pleasure whenever I hear it, but other than that one track I don't think I know anything.  I've been meaning to give her a go for a while, and there's an album by album guide in this month's Uncut (inc. Lone Justice).  So I've already got pointers to get me started.  Any badger recs though?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!