Country Music
  • And whether you can stomach the song or not this is worth it for the first shot of the audience.  

HERlJsf54UdP.gif
  • I'm pissed so I'm just going to keep going, sorry.  Just realised I knew one of her other tracks from another great 90s compilation.  It's got yer man from dated Courtney Cox & Jennifer Aniston fame on backing vocals:

Some great tracks on there.  Never managed to get into Victoria Williams' own stuff really, might try again some time.  The second tribute was to Vic Chesnutt and had a pretty odd mix of artists:

SweetReliefII.png
  • I have that on CD. Kristin Hersh and Cracker being the highlights.
  • Revisiting this as she has a new one due this week:

Caroline%20Rose%20LONER.jpg

She supported Hayes Carll years ago, and the record above was already substantially different from her first.  From Americana to pop synth stuff in one fell swoop.  I got into her for the original sound, but she's probably better suited to the new direction.  

Haven't heard the brand new stuff yet, so I'll just stick one in and hope it's decent:

• Top album cover, will have a listen to that at work.
  • First track of first album down and it's a belter, very 60s Nancy Sinatra vibes.
  • Awesome!  Had no idea she had some new stuff just around the corner.  Will be purchasing for sure.

Loner in particular is such a cracking album, one of my favourite modern releases.

Think I might have mentioned this before but I bought her first CD from her website, and her mum wrote a lovely note because Caroline's sister went to my local uni.  Was pretty endearing!

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnYBuPmwXuc
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • You love to see it. Got sucked into her videos on YouTube last night, solid work. She mostly seems to go for quirky and disconcerting. Also checked out the new one up there. Could be playing with Janelle Monae's Make Me Feel, mayber? Great knockabout feel to the performance, she's quite likeable. I'm getting heavy Prince vibes, but my Prince radar is probably broken as I've never really listened to his stuff. Is that an approximation of a Prince era or have I developed this opinion based on guff (or just joined the dots because he helped with the Monae track)?
  • Can't really help with the Prince comparison - never gone any deeper than a Greatest Hits collection with him.  Think I get what you're saying though, with the uncluttered synthy... geez I have no idea how to talk about synthesiser music lol.  I like the sound of it though even if I don't know much about it.  Not too far removed from Loner anyway.

Yeah really like her videos too.  Reckon the music is top shelf but she doesn't seem to take herself too seriously and it looks like she has a lot of fun with them.
  • Oooh, a Tiny Desk.  Didn't spot that earlier.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    it is only little
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Makes sense. I've seen multiple dozens of performances, along with KEXP it's my favourite internet performance thing, but I couldn't describe the desk.
  • Listened to the new Caroline Rose.  Aside from the single, which I really like, nothing really stood out on first listen.  Will go again at some point. 

On the plus side, I'm big into I Will Not Be Afraid and Loner, and I've only just found out she IWNBA wasn't her first, so I've got something else to do anyway (America Religious, 2013).
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    New single from Caleb, album next month
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Liking that a lot. There's a great live version on YouTube too (#UnderTheAppleTree). His voice sounds a bit Ed Kowalczyk on it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah I preferred the live acoustic as well. Just seemed a better vocal performance, I do love his voice. Last albumn didn't hit me as hard as his first two, but this seems like it might. But "Miss You Like Crazy" and "Trade All The Lights" are really difficult songs to top
  • I've got Trade all the Lights on now. Gets better each time.
  • Ah, but now I've got Lydia on. That acoustic Keisha cover is ridiculous.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yes it does, bloody gorgeous tune, but that chorus from Miss You

"I don't know who said it first
    Supposed to make things better, only made them worse
    We'd fight like my grandfolks John and Rose
    But if the lord takes you first he'd better take us both"

It's a lump former that is
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow, I'd not heard that, and probably only heard the original in passing. Love the way she owns everything she covers, so in love with that little nutcase
  • Just did the Beiber one too (Sorry).  Good stuff.

There's a Paste Studios session I hadn't seen.  Sometimes I struggle with her in interviews.  Was a bit awkward between the first and second song, I can never quite tell what's real and what's forced, then I started to focus on her ultra squeaky guitar strings as she started the second song...then wow.  Stunning performance out of nowhere.

Edit: Absolutely worth waiting for her to finish tuning for the last song too.  Stripped back slowed down Longer is legit.
  • Wasn't expecting to find a Robbie Fulks & Loveless duet.  Inject it:

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Rabbit hole has been fun. Also I need to hear a lot more of this bloke

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    OK, maybe not every cover, hahaha

• Heh, but back on the flipside:

I'm down the rabbit hole at work now.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Oooh, wow, she's gonna be big, and this has loads more views than I expected it to

• Ooh yeah.  If that gets used for the right scene in the right film that'll take off.  

ZZ_Top_-_Deg%C3%BCello.jpg

Why the fuck have I never deep dived on ZZ Top?  Had Eliminator for years and I'm all for it in moderation, but this was an absolute belter (listened to that and Tres Hombres this morning).  Cracking album.  Course we do, it's not all beards beards beards.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Listened to the new Caroline Rose.  Aside from the single, which I really like, nothing really stood out on first listen.  Will go again at some point.  On the plus side, I'm big into I Will Not Be Afraid and Loner, and I've only just found out she IWNBA wasn't her first, so I've got something else to do anyway (America Religious, 2013).

Yeah... only listened to it for the first time yesterday.  It seemed fine but hasn't left much of an impression.  Hopefully it's a grower.

Is America Religious only available on Spotify as far as you can see?  Can't find it for sale anywhere.  I saw it listen on her Wiki a while ago and assumed it was an EP single or something.
  • Doesn't look like there are many discs knocking about. There's one on Amazon.com for $100. Spotify it is.
  • My all-time top ten always seems to have about fifteen albums in it whenever I put the effort into jotting them all down, but every time I listen to this is seems to go up one slot:

R-1485882-1260218429.jpeg.jpg

Highly recommended, the guy's a genius.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!