Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't spent any time on Sonic games beyond 2 despite owning a couple of compilations - have the Saturn and Gamecube collections.

Messing about with Silent Scope on Dreamcast this week. Fun game but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it!
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'd really recommend finding the time for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I'm something of a fanboy but I just think it's an incredible game. The soundtrack is staggeringly good.

So happy Flying Battery Zone has been announced for Sonic Mania.
  • I've played through it so many times I thought I'd devote my evening to something retrofresh, so inspired by a brief fiddle with S&K I decided to tackle Streets of Rage 3 on the RetroPie.  I'd only played it briefly before this evening, I don't think I even rented it at the time as I only recognised the first level.  It's such an odd sequel, a couple of steps forward from no.2 in certain areas, but certainly a step back in others (not least in terms of visuals and wow, the music is phoned in from a smashed telephone box).  I made the mistake of switching to Skate/Sammy after breezing through 4 stages with Axel, then promptly lost 3 more lives on that stage and continued with Zan, who appears to be The Man.  Didn't quite make it though, the countdown ran out on level 6 and I got gassed to Game Over.  It's good, and it's bizarre playing a game that was already presumably faster than SOR2 at an extra 17.5% on top; it's nippy.  Definitely the weakest in the series imo, but still a solid 84% from me.
  • I think I'll treat myself to a Switch for Sonic Mania.
  • Yeah. SoR3 is weird. Certainly takes a step back in some areas.

Still solid though.
  • Play Bare Knuckle 3 instead, not sure what youtube video comparison it was I watched but it's much better apparently.

Same goes for the Japanese version of Super Double Dragon on SNES, called Return of Double Dragon on SFC.

Then theres the Rushing Beat Trilogy on SFC, butchered in the West and released as Rival Turf, Brawl Brothers and The Peace Keepers.

It actually happened a lot but most examples are just cut violence like in the Castlevanias.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It was the Bare Knuckle 3 ROM I played, complete with the green tight-wearing leather-clad chap that cries when you beat him up.

Just played 4 levels of Vice: Project Doom on NES.  It's a good 'un.
  • Cool.

Never heard of that. We gotta get back on the retro club thread and get the most out of our Pi's.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Awesome. Thanks!

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is so damn good.

Best Sonic game ever.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Yeah I am always a bit confused as to why Sonic 2 sits so high above them in people's estimations.
  • Because it was such an improvement over Sonic 1, but similar.

Sonic 3 was different.

If that makes any sense. Probably not, lol.
  • Maybe the fact it was sold as two separate full price games and sold a lot less.

Together they're great but individually they're short and genuinely feel like two halves of one game.

Expansion pack/DLC before they were common terms.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Cool. Never heard of that. We gotta get back on the retro club thread and get the most out of our Pi's.

Was thinking that.  It's shocking how little I play it considering how much I enjoy myself when I do.  Managed to fix that ratio problem on my telly too, so I've finally got it in full 4:3.
  • Sonic 2 was Sonic[font=arial, sans-serif]².  [/font]Sonic 3/& Knuckles is probably the only occasion where the formula was successfully enhanced; it's comparatively deep, far more varied and adds occasional control twists that work.   Plus it's far less 3,2,1 Go! than no.2.  It's also an excellent platformer, genuinely a 16-bit classic as the full lock-on experience (imoetc).  Perhaps Sonic 2 is remembered with more fondness because a) more people played it, as Retro says, b) dat music and c) after Green Hill Zone, it's the definitive example of The Sonic Experience.  Even Sonic ran out of speedy boots at Marble Zone.
  • So that's what happens when you paste in the squared symbol.
  • I wish M2 would port Sonic 3 & Knuckles to 3DS.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I suspect the fact that it is a bit deeper is what put me off. The fuzzy controls and platform edges don't help either. It isn't as much as an issue with the first two games with their cleaner, simpler layouts. I much prefer the Mario games' crisper feel.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Tempted to get Sonic CD, I'd forgotten that was on 360/Bone.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • My opinion of Sonic CD is that it is total fucking trash.
    If you can find it for a few quid then give it a go for yourself but don't spend over a fiver on it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh. My general impression was "forgotten classic" due to low sales of host hardware. Not true, then?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I like Sonic CD, there's plenty of exploration if you want to finish it properly, and the music is fantastic.

It's more Sonic 1 than Sonic 2 though.
  • Could just be my impression of it.
    It has a future/past dynamic to the levels which I went in thinking meant I had to complete one to change the other or something but apparently not. Levels are meh.
    The one impressive thing at the time was the animated intro, which of course now is meaningless.
  • Live is right, it's pretty shit.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Didn't enjoy Sonic 3D I'm afraid. It looked very nice with its isometric design but it was a bit long winded - the lack of any save (Saturn version) didn't help.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looking to JP get copies of Outrun and Christmas Nights. Have PAL versions but PAL Outrun is borked. Want JP Christmas Nights just because it comes in rather nice packaging.

JP Outrun comes in 2 revisions - the 1st only plays on model 1 consoles so it's a pain finding a 2nd revision to work on my white Saturn.

There's a also a white 3D controller I'm trying to talk myself out of getting.
  • davyK wrote:
    Looking to JP get copies of Outrun and Christmas Nights. Have PAL versions but PAL Outrun is borked. Want JP Christmas Nights just because it comes in rather nice packaging.

JP Outrun comes in 2 revisions - the 1st only plays on model 1 consoles so it's a pain finding a 2nd revision to work on my white Saturn.

]There's a also a white 3D controller I'm trying to talk myself out of getting.

I have one of those, it's rather lovely (sorry ;). )
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have 2 PAL black ones (no idea why I have two) but the white one looks the business.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Didn't enjoy Sonic 3D I'm afraid. It looked very nice with its isometric design but it was a bit long winded - the lack of any save (Saturn version) didn't help.

Sonic CD is a different game, though, right? CD is standard 2D fare, no isometric stuff iirc.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    davyK wrote:

Sonic CD is a different game, though, right? CD is standard 2D fare, no isometric stuff iirc.

Standard 2D with Mode 7 style bonus stages.
  • Sonic 3D was guff.  Technically impressive in places (the MD version), but I can't imagine 20-odd years have been kind to something that was, at best, a passable diversion in the first place.  I've still not played Sonic CD.

I'd suggest the Master System port/version of the first game is the best non Megadrive Sonic effort.  It does the speed thing reasonably well and the platforming thing surprisingly well.  I also think Sonic Adventure gets a bad rap.

This is Vice: Project Doom @Retroking1981.  I'm not far in, but it's a sort of Shatterhand/Batman/Action Fighter:

Hidden gem - calling it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!