Retro Gaming
  • I liked Sonic 3D.
    It is Travellers Tales developed and absolutely nothing to do with Sonic bar the skin.
    Reskined as something else I think it would be remembered more favourably.

No save feature was a pain though. Me and a mate completed it once but it took the best part of a day. The final boss was pretty good from what I remember, good use of the isometric landscape.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I probably posted a while ago about this but I've put a request in to a US company who supply reconditioned original arcade games. They rebuild it from scratch , change capacitors, recondition the CRT, fit a new power supply , rebuild or replace the control panel, touch up the paintwork by hand, the  full Monty as it were. They sell a lot overseas so have the experience of doing that.

I've asked them to "do" me an Asteroids Deluxe.

This will cost North of £2,000 esp with Brexit sterling. That will include shipping and import tax. (maybe the import tax will get sorted if May and Trump get it on?)

So I'm playing a waiting game. I offered to pay a deposit but the supplier has said no need, just wait until one comes in and they will check I still want one.

Wifey has agreed re funding this and even sighting it in the house,bless her. There's a good spot for it in the hall. I forwent any celebrations or presents last year which was my 50th. I also put the funds I raised last year liquidating a chunk of my collection into supplementing our hefty home improvement project.

The practical side of me thinks I should instead get a nice JAMMA cab and stick it in my game room. I'd be happy to do that and would probably sell most of what I have to get a nice tight PCB collection, but a real life genuine dedicated cabinet is the dream.

But until the supplier contacts me I can mull this over.

If you had to pick one classic dedicated cabinet what would it be?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That's difficult. When I was a kid, things like Gauntlet and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles were hugely attractive to me, but grown up me would probably find them unattractive. Likewise, a full size Outrun or Afterburner would be amazing, but are obviously ridiculously large for a house. So I'm drawn to something like Hard Drivin', which I spent hours on at home and only got to play once in an arcade, Chase HQ (likewise) or Paperboy, which I never got to play in an arcade.

So, Pole Position it is...
  • An Electrocoin Duet

14725659_1185977444824377_5680920437919424345_n.jpg

Running a CPS2 board with Street Fighter Alpha 2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Asteroids Deluxe attracts me for a number of reasons.

There is little in the way of pattern play - while every wave is essentially the same thing,  the fact that there is a level of randomisation in how the rocks break up to create a wide range of scenarios means that the game can be challenging even from the start. It's firmly in that collection of games that induces that in-the-zone or zen trance.

The deluxe version replaces the hyperspace function which is essentially a panic button with a finite shield, so removing the element of luck from the game.

The killer satellites which break up into homing missiles (and unless I'm mistaken a source of inspiration for geometry wars) introduces another bit of variety over and above the saucers.

The beautiful implementation of inertia in the game's control.

The increased accuracy of the ufo , along with the killer satellite, fixes the hole in the game that the lurking strategy took advantage of.

Vector graphics and the Deluxe version's, "floating" display.

The fact I played the 2600 version in the 80s to point where the cartridge was in danger of being worn out - and yet I still enjoy playing the game via MAME, XBL etc. - it's simply a game I never tire of.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    If you had to pick one classic dedicated cabinet what would it be?

Metal Slug. Or Marvel Vs Capcom 2. Or House of the Dead. Or Street Fighter III Third Strike. Or Time Splitters. Or Silent Scope. Or Alien 3: The Gun. Or Pac-Man.

I CAN'T PICK ONE THIS IS LIKE SOPHIE'S CHOICE
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Nice idea Davy, very jealous! From pure a festival of nostalgia I'd go with the full Sega Afterburner cab that we had at my local sports centre. In motion it was an incredible spectacle back then with all your mates leaning in to grab a glipse.
    I'd also love Scud Racer too but throwing any nostalgic fancies out the window, it would be F-zero AX

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I need to mull this over.
  • I always wanted a Space Invaders cocktail table. Partly down to it being such an iconic game but also more practical to fit into the house as a piece of furniture than an upright cabinet. I eventually got an original 1979 one off eBay about seven years ago. I was lucky enough to be the only bidder and got it for £250. I only had to pick it up locally too so saved on any shipping. It all works fine but I don't have the keys to the coin box so I have to lift the lid to press a button to add credits. Can't beat the sound its crackly mono speaker makes.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • roadblasters
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I'd probably go for Virtua Cop or Monkey Ball, although I never played the latter with the banana controller.  In all honesty I expect I'd get bored with the novelty of a dedicated cabinet (unless it was a novelty cab).
  • Fuck I didn't even know there was a Monkey Ball cab.
  • Time Crisis 2 comes to mind first.
    Bishi Bashi would be great to have but I'm not sure how much use it would get.

In the end I think I would go for a pinball table instead.
  • Daytona USA for me.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • nick_md wrote:
    Fuck I didn't even know there was a Monkey Ball cab.

HELLO NICK

IMAG0010.JPG
  • Mate I googled it instantly on reading your first post! I'd waggle that.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    In all honesty I expect I'd get bored with the novelty of a dedicated cabinet (unless it was a novelty cab).

I've come to this conclusion.

That's why the answer is always Sonic Blast Man.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If I'm allowed a pinball table it'd be either The Twilight Zone or Addams Family.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You're allowed a pin.
  • I've been playing a bit of Sonic Pinball Party and Pinball of the Dead on GBA this week.  I've barely scratched the surface of the latter (meaning I still haven't got a clue what I'm doing in terms of tactics), but the NiGHTS table isn't bad on the Sonic Team one.

I'm tempted to start The Minish Cap soon, to get me back in a Zelda mood.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Dayyyytoooooonaaaaaaa USA for me.

FTFY.

Good call, too. I'll have to add that, and SEGA Rally, to the list.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Go on Escape why not. I've got a PS2 slim but I output via component so it doesn't play my PS1 games. I'll PM you
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • A broswer thing with games.

Not sure if it works, it's blocked in my office.
  • Random sf geek trivia: Guile theme origins
    Do you love the sf2 ost? Do you think Guile's theme goes with anything? Than this relaxing pop jazz video is for you....

Original srk article here
    http://shoryuken.com/2017/03/25/travelers-goes-with-everything-the-inspiration-behind-guiles-iconic-street-fighter-ii-theme/
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    This chap is in this month's Retro Gamer, thought it might be of interest to folks around here. He's an electronic engineer in Canada, and he's made a few mods for retro machines. For example, there's a replacement for the internal memory on a Mega-CD, upping the number of saves you can have by a factor of four. Some pretty neat stuff for those who like their hardware original. (Or, at least, original as possible.)

http://db-electronics.ca/
  • I've been on a GBA kick recently.  Dabbled with Pinball of the Dead, Monkey Ball Jr (probably the best Monkey Ball game outside the originals), Namco Museum (mmm, Galaxian), Sega Ages Collection and the excellent Moto Racer.  

Game & Watch Gallery is the one though.  I used to enjoy my LCD games, and in fairness most of this collection is straight bobbins, but oh my, Fire is gold.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a high tolerance for retro sights and sounds but that sounds fucking dreadful.
  • You need the sound up for that one too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!