Retro Gaming
  • Seems to me there are about a billion FE games and I've no clue which ones I've played and which ones I haven't. Not that it matters since they are all essentially the same game anyway.
  • the latest one has quite a few gimmicks
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Seems to me there are about a billion FE games...

Which is ironic, because I remember the first DS (3DS?) one getting quite a lot of publicity just off the fact that it had been the first FE in freaking ages. Now you can't move for SRPGs.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The first 3DS one was gonna be the last due to weak sales afaik.

It's was a mega hit Final Fantasy style so they're now keeping it going.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • They've gone down the two games at once (two flavours) ie the Pokemodel haven't they? That adds to my confusion.
  • I sort of wish I hadn't played Fates as it put me off X-Com 2, I'm still not ready for it (got 5 or 6hrs in, drifted away - it deserves better).  Fates was too much of a good thing and easily the longest I've ever spent on a story-based game, 15-20hrs of which was probably wasted on the pointless castle/base sections.  It took me so long to finish, and so many months worth of my commute that there's a slightly nightmarish tinge to the memories.
  • Think the GBA GTA was China Town Stories, or something like that. I had it, it was fun like the original GTA, but the screen was just too small for that type of game.

Fire Emblem on GBA is the best of the series for me. The one that starts with the Lyn tutorial.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Righto it's recommending time. This year's Japan trip will see purchases of Dreamcast and ps1. Expect the classics to be bought for DC, which I'm fairly aware of, but I'm looking for some good ps1, preferably Japanese only games. I'll obviously grab parappa and vib and all that but any thing I might skip?
  • DC recommendations, because I didn't properly read your post. Sorry.

Cosmic Smash is the obvious one, a wonderful game with some incredibly stylish packaging.

Cool Cool Toon.
    Ikaruga
    Sports Jam
    Space Channel 5 part 2
    L.O.L.
    Segagaga.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Segagaga was on the list before. I've heard about cosmic smash - will it cost me ¥¥¥¥¥¥?
  • Think the GBA GTA was China Town Stories, or something like that. I had it, it was fun like the original GTA, but the screen was just too small for that type of game. Fire Emblem on GBA is the best of the series for me. The one that starts with the Lyn tutorial.

That was the DS one, I think.  Chinatown Wars.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cosmic Smash should be reasonable. There's a couple of different versions. I have the one in the DVD style case which is opaque and uses the disc inside as part of the cover art.  Nice.

Under Defeat for DC - but no idea how affordable that would be in Japan.

PS1 - a few shmups worth looking out for and all exclusive:

Gradius Garden is still regarded by many as the best in the series. It's gorgeous in that souped up 16bit graphical style.

Xevious 3DG+ if you like that game - has the original, Super, Arrange and a polygoney-fake-3D-ey version which is really rather good.

Raiden DX - lot of modes and highly regarded. Not to be confused with Raiden Project with is just OK. I don't have this yet but am on the lookout for it.

Harmful Park - a cute em up which looks glorious and gets solid reviews on youtube.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Looks more and more likely the SNES mini might be a thing.

XBox E3 survey

original.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think I'm around halfway through Metroid Fusion, died a couple of times on a large spider boss.  I'm enjoying it a lot more than Super, although obviously that was phenomenal design for '94.

This year I have mostly been playing (and mostly enjoying) open world games, now I'm getting on with a 2D Metroidvania for the second time in two years, two genres I've tended to give a wide berth.  At this rate I'll be hitting the tower defence, 3D stealth or falling block puzzle games next.
  • [font=Proxima, sans-serif]It's a long one but some interesting memories of how Mean Machines came about and the methods they used to get screen shots (photos of the screen!) and artwork lifted straight from Famitsu:[/font]

[font=Proxima, sans-serif]http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-04-the-story-of-mean-machines-magazine[/font]

[font=Proxima, sans-serif]'I think the official circulation peaked at somewhere around 130,000 copies a month, just before it got split into Mean Machines Sega and Nintendo Magazine System." Purely for reference, Edge magazine sells less than 20,000 copies a month today.'[/font]
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • FFS 

(I thought pasting as plain text got around that issue!)
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Good read, I'd love to have seen Dexter Fletcher get kicked out the SFII launch party, I wonder what he did?

For those interested there's a 2 hour interview with Jaz on episode 49 of the maximum power up podcast.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Good read, I'd love to have seen Dexter Fletcher get kicked out the SFII launch party, I wonder what he did?

For those interested there's a 2 hour interview with Jaz on episode 49 of the maximum power up podcast.

Thanks for the heads up :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • So unfortunately my wait for a new retron with N64 compatibility continues but we now have this.

atariretron77_1800-ed.jpg
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/13/atari-2600-retron-77/

Will be nice to have a HDMI setup for this, bit of a shame it wasn't a new retron6 with all the supported consoles in one though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I want it just to flick the switches on the front :D
  • There's also been a teaser reveal of a new console from Atari themselves.

It's called Ataribox.

https://www.ataribox.com/
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Would imagine that will be a NES Mini type thing, to be fair they would be silly not to.
  • I was thinking that but there's been about 3 or 4 of them.

Is this just an in house one as oppose to 3rd party licensed?

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Possibly. Maybe they decided to do it well like Nintendo did.
    A lot of those plug and play consoles are quite poor in their execution. I would love a proper Mega Drive one with decent sound and HDMI.
  • I'm interested to see what it is, I'm not usually interested in the plug and plays as it's impossible/highly unlikely to have every game you'd personally want on there.

A 2600 one would have the best chance though as they published most of the games themselves. I have 20 games for my Atari and only 3 are 3rd party published.

Will be interesting to see if there's any other consoles incorporated onto it. 5200, 7800, Jaguar, maybe even Lynx?

Regarding the retron, I'm dissapointed there's still no N64 news. Hyperkin hinted at it about two years ago now.

I love my retron5, would be great to have PC Engine, N64 and even the 2600 incorporated into one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I bought a book called 'A Gremlin in the Works', about developer/publisher Gremlin. It arrived yesterday, and it's rather lovely; two heavy hardbacks in a slip case, full of interviews, screenshots and promo art.

Back in my childhood, seeing Gremlin's logo on a game case was enough to get me excited, so I'm looking forward to having a read.
  • Would dig some photos of the sleeve at least.
  • The official website would probably be best for that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!