Retro Gaming
  • A few more details on the upcoming Ataribox:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/141325-ataribox-console-is-real-great-pics-show-atari-s-rival-to-the-snes-classic-mini

No news still on exactly what it will be but at least we have a few pics.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks lush. New content will be most welcome. The problem with reproducing older content, particularly their arcade output, is the inability to recreate the control schemes. Atari's cabinets had trak-balls, spinners, rollers, yokes etc. It was very much part of the experience, and a modern traditional pad is a very poor substitute.

If there was the option to get the old 2600,5200 and 7800 content with HDMI then that alone would interest me and most of it would be fine with a bog standard pad (though a nice USB joystick would be very welcome) but I would want to have USB paddle controllers to use with it.

It looks at least to be supporting 4 players out of the box at any rate - so local multiplayer might be part and parcel of the content. Would be nice to have it backed up with good online to attract more mainstream.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm very interested.

Just thinking the Retron 77 might be enough for me, really depends on what this brings to the table.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Been giving this a bit of thought...

If it has CoD, Ass Creed etc what's the point? There's already Steam and two consoles that appeal to that crowd.

If it's a box that allows you to download all the arcade classics, again what's the point? Aren't these games all available elsewhere?

That's leaves a NES mini style 2600, 5200, 7800 box. This already exists, admittedly only in the 2600 vein with the Atari Flashbacks.

I'm fascinated by this, I really like the idea of having a box under my TV with Atari on it for all those classics as they're so synonymous with each other, but even I don't think I can justify it, although I probably won't be able to resist.

Basically I just can't see who is realistically gonna buy this in mass numbers.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The design is stellar. But until we know more about what it actually does...
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • When they say 'classic gaming content', maybe they mean wellgood new games. 

classic.png
  • Wasn't that bestowed upon 'old games' MM hadn't yet reviewed? Basically fleshing out their content on barron months?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Serious question as I can't remember what the difference was between 'Classic Game' and 'Mega Game'.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You may be right.  I thought Mega Game was 90-95 and Classic Game was 95+, but reviewing old games and slapping a Classic rating on it makes more sense.
  • I thought Mega was 90+ I really have no idea now and have no way of finding out. First world problems.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yep, you're right.  26 years on and I've only just realised they were old games rather than the MM crew declaring a future classic.
  • Thank god for that, I can relax again ;-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Check the Matt blurb, and the score:

C-_YEZvXYAEKkWi.jpg

Received a Classic Game award on the previous page.
  • Yep makes sense, spoken of in a past tense and Release Date listed as Out Now.

Phew!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Meant to ask this ages ago, but it slipped out of my mind - I saw a bloke speed running Mario 64 via an emulator, but he was using a pair of Joycons as his controller.

I had no idea that was feasible.

Are Joycons just generic Bluetooth controllers, then? Or would using them with, say, your Steam library require some trickery? (I.e., custom drivers, etc.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh superb.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Continuing with the clear out, I looked at what Etrian Odyssey Untold is going for on fleabay - around the £50 mark. Holy shit.
  • Does anyone know if you can transfer a save file for a rom emulated on PC to a retron5 and then get it onto a cart?

E.g. get a Chrono Trigger save state from PC, use it as a save state on the retro, then when loaded up make a proper save on the cart?

@Eric your a fellow retron5 owner, any ideas?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Hmm, you can definitely get it on a SD card then onto the Retron Retro, not sure about then getting it onto the cart. I think not as it rips the data one way but I'll have a look as it's an interesting thought.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • You can do it apparently!
    So, suppose you play an hour of Chrono Trigger on the SNES. Then you switch to the Retron 5. Your save is imported and you continue playing on the R5 and beat the game. If you switch back to a SNES you will still have your original one-hour save, not the R5 save - unless you elect to dump your R5 save data back into your cart, which you totally can do.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=42077&sid=b6cbfaef70720134de9cdb9c997a57ee&start=2160

Doesn't explain how so I'll ask once I remember my login credentials.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I'm blaming Reg for me buying the DVD case Segagaga from eBay!
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Eric wrote:
    You can do it apparently!
    So, suppose you play an hour of Chrono Trigger on the SNES. Then you switch to the Retron 5. Your save is imported and you continue playing on the R5 and beat the game. If you switch back to a SNES you will still have your original one-hour save, not the R5 save - unless you elect to dump your R5 save data back into your cart, which you totally can do.
    http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=42077&sid=b6cbfaef70720134de9cdb9c997a57ee&start=2160 Doesn't explain how so I'll ask once I remember my login credentials.

....Gonna see what them racket boys can do.  Now there's trouble busin' in another state....
  • Eric wrote:
    Hmm, you can definitely get it on a SD card then onto the Retron Retro, not sure about then getting it onto the cart. I think not as it rips the data one way but I'll have a look as it's an interesting thought.

If you can get it on the the retron then it should work shouldn't it?

Lets say you do a save state on Super Mario World just before being prompted to 'Save and Continue', surely if you load that up on the retron then select 'Save and Continue' it will do the normal battery back up save? Then upon putting it in a normal SNES you could continue from that point in the tradtional sense?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Hang on a bloody minute...

You can use patches on the retron5?

So I can get lets say a Super Famicom version of Final Fantasy V put the patch on the SD card and play it in English!!!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I believe so. There's a English language patch rfor the JPN version of Cybernator (Assault Suits Valken) which is supposed to be the definitive way to play if you want to follow the story.
  • Fucking top game that, Valken.
  • davyK wrote:
    I believe so. There's a English language patch rfor the JPN version of Cybernator (Assault Suits Valken) which is supposed to be the definitive way to play if you want to follow the story.

Out of interest, could you apply the patch to the PAL version?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Out of interest, could you apply the patch to the PAL version?

No idea. The PAL version has missing dialogue so it would depend on how that was done by the devs. If they just padded bytes out with spaces then you might be able to apply that patch to it as all the data and code bytes would still line up OK.

Worth a try I suppose.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!