Retro Gaming
  • Escape wrote:
    What's all this about Moot winning?! I had a day-one 32X and a day-one Mega-CD! I also had a Commodore Plus/4. And almost a Saturn, but Tekken turned my Virtua Fighter-loving head just before that Christmas. That and DOOM. I nominate one of my mates for buying a Nokia 3300.

Hey hey hey, we've all had a drink, but owning a Saturn would be the opposite of winning.  

Wait.
  • Mega CD wasn't great but to be fair it had some gems.

The 32X is at the bottom of the early/mid 90s barrel along with the CD-i, Amiga CD32, Jaguar, 3DO and Virtual Boy.

Anyone who ever got one of those back in the day has nothing but my deepest sympathies.

Tbf I knew someone with a 3DO and it was bloody amazing, felt like the future in 1994, might have even been 93. A year later I couldn't give a shit about it though, despite not playing anything other than 16-Bit. I guess Bad Influence and Gamesmaster restored my faith in the status quo and built that PS hype.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm enjoying Mario Tennis: Power Tour on GBA at the moment.  Having played the golf one earlier in the year, I can see why they're so well loved.  It's a great game of [tennis/golf] slapped onto a lite RPG with loads of enjoyable mini games.  6hrs done, just reached a new area.  Very polished, plays a good game, dialogue isn't disastrous.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I had a 3DO and thought I was winning, I also got a Jaguar but realised pretty quick that I'd made amistake with that one and eventually traded it and a mountain bike for a playstation
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Maybe but you ultimately lost with it and it definitely wasn't the future like I thought.

To be fair to the 3DO, out of that list of turds, it was the closest to actually being decent.

It's insane price was its biggest issue. No doubt caused by its manufacturers leasing(?) the HW and selling it for a profit.

In a way it could have been the PS.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Need for Speed, a good SSF2 port (if you did something to the pad, apparently), Road Rash, Return Fire....I'm out.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The best EA sports games as well. FIFA had a full cheat menu with giant golden platyers and laser ball shots, was a right laugh
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • All great games tbf.

That pad was a dog for SF though unfortunately.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Road Rash was my fav, still my favourite entry in the series. I wish EA would bring it back along with the Strike games.

I was so happy when it was ported to the PS.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Space Hulk was another decent one.

There was also a horror FMV game on it but I can't remember what it was called, definitely wasn't Night Trap.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Out of curiosity, then, what's the biggest flop anyone's bought into?
    Gizmondo.
    Oh man, we could have someone topple moot from his throne.
    I still rate it over the Dreamcast. ;) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Not really.

Cheeky grey text saved you from a ban request, you little monkey, you.
    Escape wrote:
    What's all this about Moot winning?! I had a day-one 32X and a day-one Mega-CD!

Hmm, now we have to a have a fight: day one 32X/MegaCD vs. Gizmondo. WHICH WAS FLOPPIEST? PLACE BETS NOW.
    Mega CD wasn't great but to be fair it had some gems. The 32X is at the bottom of the early/mid 90s barrel along with the CD-i, Amiga CD32, Jaguar, 3DO and Virtual Boy. (...) Tbf I knew someone with a 3DO and it was bloody amazing...

The 32X had some top stuff on it, too, IIRC. The best console versions of Doom and Virtua Racing until the 'proper' 32bit machines hit the shelves, Knuckles Chaotix, and Metal Head. TBF I've never actually played a 32X, I'm just going off what Lord Karnage on YouTube says, and he seems trustworthy.

I remember seeing 3DOs and CD-is in the shops at the time and being really excited - until I tried playing them and thought "WTF is this bollocks". Don't remember ever being impressed by either of those machines. I do remember vague feelings of excitement about the CD32/32X/MegaCD/Virtual Boy, but not enough to actually plonk cash down/ask parents for them.

Just as a quick exercise, I'd have the following scale for rating the size of a flop.

Should never have left the drawing board
    Phantom (arguably never did leave the drawing board, chortle etc.)
    Tiger game.com
    Virtual Boy

Dead on arrival
    Gizmondo
    CD-i
    3DO
    Jaguar

The brightest stars burn half as long
    32X
    Mega CD
    Amiga CD32

Underdog/cult classics
    Dreamcast
    GameCube
    Saturn
    PlayStation Vita

A silver medal is still a medal
    OG Xbox
    PlayStation 3
    PlayStation Portable
    Nintendo 64

Top dog
    PlayStation
    Nintendo 3DS
    Xbox 360
    Super NES/Mega Drive (but which was toppest? PLAYGROUND FIGHT GO)

Set the world on fire
    PlayStation 2
    NES/Famicom
    Nintendo DS
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • 32x and Amiga CD32 relegated to the bottom imo.

Wii U to join the cult classics, and Wii set the world on fire.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • PS3 outsold the 360 so surely both deserve top dog status like the 16-Bits?

edit: sod it, I'll do mine a little later.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Depends how you quantify success.
  • I get the whole market share swing side of it but both selling 85M+ puts them in the success bracket for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    32x and Amiga CD32 relegated to the bottom imo. Wii U to join the cult classics, and Wii set the world on fire.
    PS3 outsold the 360 so surely both deserve top dog status like the 16-Bits? edit: sod it, I'll do mine a little later.

I just bashed it out as a stream of consciousness - definitely doesn't take into account sales figures or anything concrete. So yeah, you're right - things could probably move around, and there's definitely other systems that could go into each category. I didn't realise PS3 had outsold 360, but I'd still rate 360 as a (slightly) bigger success than PS3 - my gut feeling is that 360 was a success from the start (RRoD aside), while the PS3 was a success eventually. And it really did feel at times like Sony didn't want the PS3 to take off.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Thinking about it, I can't believe I missed Wii and Wii U in the categories that retroking mentioned.
  • Set the world on fire
    Atari 2600
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Nintendo Game Boy/Color
    PlayStation
    PlayStation 2
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo Wii

Top dog's
    Sega Mega Drive
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    XBox 360
    PlayStation 3

Solid but not quite greatness
    Sega Master System
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo Game Boy Advance
    Nintendo GameCube
    XBox
    PlayStation Portable

Underdog/cult classics
    PC Engine
    Neo-Geo/CD
    Sega Game Gear
    Sega Saturn
    Sega Dreamcast
    Wonderswan
    Neo-Geo Pocket
    Nintendo Wii U

A bit of a stinker
    Atari 7800
    Atari Lynx
    Sega Mega CD
    3DO
    Atari Jaguar
    Amiga CD32

Atari 5200
    Amstrad GX4000
    Commodore 64GS
    Phillips CD-i
    Nintendo Virtual Boy
    Sega 32X
    Nintendo 64DD
    Atari Jaguar CD

Nice idea btw Swirl

Anyway to answer this question...
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Out of curiosity, then, what's the biggest flop anyone's bought into? I have a history of picking the losing horse (Dreamcast over PS2, Neo Geo Pocket over GBC), and was even meant to get a Saturn for Christmas until my parents saw the PlayStation was cheaper. But I've never taken the plunge on something that really tanked, like a Jaguar or 3DO.

For me its Dreamcast and Wii U.

I think anything in that underdog or below category definitely qualifies and a bit of a flop. Plenty of people love those machines but if they were the only consoles you owned that gen you were definitely missing out.

And if you bought into something that shouldn't have left the drawing board you have my deepest sympathies, hence my moot wins statement, although escape had a stinker to boot.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ooh, good list. I reckon we need an even lower category for Amstrad GX4000, though. It'd go in the same level as Konix Multisystem and Mattel HyperScan.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I loved my 32X for its DOOM port until I had the PlayStation version (which is still my favourite). The GX4000 depends on whether you could finish the first level of Navy SEALs. Hardcore machine, that.

The 3DO suffered in the same way as the Neo Geo, where it was only really impressive for a couple of years, and didn't have the breadth of other consoles by a long shot. If I'd been a rich kid it would've been a complementary, secondary console at best. The SNES might've lacked its muscle, but it gave the Geo a hiding. Even in its own fightmen yard, the later versions of Street Fighter II outclassed it.

I never saw the hype, really. I felt the same way about the PC Engine, and JAMMA boards were always of dated, average games.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    The 32X had some top stuff on it, too, IIRC. The best console versions of Doom and Virtua Racing until the 'proper' 32bit machines hit the shelves, Knuckles Chaotix, and Metal Head. TBF I've never actually played a 32X, I'm just going off what Lord Karnage on YouTube says, and he seems trustworthy.

My take on the games mentioned:

Doom was pared back but smooth, and a genuine leap from anything I'd been playing at the time.  I can't think of a better home version on Virtua Racing on any console.  Chaotix didn't work, I only played it recently but it's not particularly good.  Metal Head was a huge technical leap for a MD gamer and I gladly suffered its shortcomings, but it's almost unplayable today.

Star Wars Arcade was the only other game I owned.  It's another one that's probably aged terribly but I toughed it out for the polygons.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Mentioning Neo Geo and 3DO in the same breath is a crime worthy of death. Just fyi. ;)

I see what you mean, but I'd argue the Neo Geo produced stellar titles for a long time. It may have lacked the 3D hardware to stay relevant after the advent of PlayStation, but the pixel art was always top work - and you can see it getting better. Compare Samurai Spirits V to the launch games. Its night and day.
  • Neo Geo was too late and too expensive.

In the late 80s, having arcade games in the home seemed like the Holy Grail. But the MD and SNES showed that dedicated console gaming could offer so much more and they delivered solid arcade ports.
  • The SNK vs Capcom 90's rivalry produced some of the finest 2d arcade games ever produced. Streetfighter2, KoF, SF3, Metal Slug, SFAlpha, Darkstalkers, LastBlade, Samurai Shodown. The list goes on and on.

Cult classics indeed.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Going back to PS3/360, the 360 was more interesting to me at the time. They’re both still hooked up, but the 360is in the bedroom, while the PS3 is under the telly in the living room, and gets more use.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Set the world on fire
    Atari 2600
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Nintendo Game Boy/Color
    PlayStation
    PlayStation 2
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo Wii

Top dog's
    Sega Mega Drive
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    XBox 360
    PlayStation 3

Solid but not quite greatness
    Sega Master System
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo Game Boy Advance
    Nintendo GameCube
    XBox
    PlayStation Portable

Underdog/cult classics
    PC Engine
    Neo-Geo/CD
    Sega Game Gear
    Sega Saturn
    Sega Dreamcast
    Wonderswan
    Neo-Geo Pocket
    Nintendo Wii U

A bit of a stinker
    Atari 7800
    Atari Lynx
    Sega Mega CD
    3DO
    Atari Jaguar
    Amiga CD32

Atari 5200
    Amstrad GX4000
    Commodore 64GS
    Phillips CD-i
    Nintendo Virtual Boy
    Sega 32X
    Nintendo 64DD
    Atari Jaguar CD

Nice idea btw Swirl

Anyway to answer this question...
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Out of curiosity, then, what's the biggest flop anyone's bought into? I have a history of picking the losing horse (Dreamcast over PS2, Neo Geo Pocket over GBC), and was even meant to get a Saturn for Christmas until my parents saw the PlayStation was cheaper. But I've never taken the plunge on something that really tanked, like a Jaguar or 3DO.

For me its Dreamcast and Wii U.

I think anything in that underdog or below category definitely qualifies and a bit of a flop. Plenty of people love those machines but if they were the only consoles you owned that gen you were definitely missing out.

And if you bought into something that shouldn't have left the drawing board you have my deepest sympathies, hence my moot wins statement, although escape had a stinker to boot.

GBA was a huge success, definately a top dog and shouldnt be in the same catergory as the PSP.
  • The PSP sold more though, I also played it much more.

To each their own but for me they're about on par with each other.

A lot of the ones I listed as solid could be promoted/relegated quite easily tbf, it's quite a subjective bunch.

If anything I should probably put them both in with the top dogs.

edit: They really should be top dogs thinking about it. If I did it's the consoles left in that group that are most commonly debated as being a success or not. There's not much debate outside of those as to what succeed or flopped, from a sales perspective that is.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Most lists have the GBA above the PSP sales wise though fair play, it sold a lot more than I realised.

Interesting that in NA GBA sold double that of PSP.

I'd still rank it way above the PSP, I remember the clamour over here for the GBA was huge. It was hard to buy games on eBay as there were so many fakes, people went nuts for it. I don't remember any real hype for PSP at all.

Still, as above, genuinely surprised at the PSP numbers, would never have thought that at all. Makes the Vita's performance even more baffling.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Swap 3DO with either 32x, drop CD32 to the bottom and push Mega CD into Cult imo and all that

edit: @swirly, didn't see retro list when typing
  • The PSP was an amazing piece of kit. Probably the most impressed I’ve ever been by a piece of hardware. I ended up completely hooked on the Wipeout ports for it though, and hardly bought any other games.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!