• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re @retroking1981 and his lists.

Can't see anyone disagreeing with the top and bottom categories.

It's always in the middle you will get variance but I'm in agreement. Neo Geo CD though- was that not hobbled by truly horrendous loadtimes?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Edge always used to bang on about how amazing the FM Towns was. Did anyone ever try importing one of those? The FM Towns Marty, maybe?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It was a piece of shit as far I'm aware.
  • davyK wrote:
    Re @retroking1981 and his lists.

Can't see anyone disagreeing with the top and bottom categories.

It's always in the middle you will get variance but I'm in agreement. Neo Geo CD though- was that not hobbled by truly horrendous loadtimes?

It was. I just couple it with the OG HW as it was just the same thing but more affordable because of the CD format. Had a pad too, instead of the stick. Other than that I know sod all about it tbh.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Neo Geo was too late and too expensive. In the late 80s, having arcade games in the home seemed like the Holy Grail. But the MD and SNES showed that dedicated console gaming could offer so much more and they delivered solid arcade ports.

I'd agree with too expensive, but I wouldn't concur with too late. It wasn't just about arcade perfect ports, the Neo Geo was 2D hardware turned up to 11. It had the second longest officially supported life span of any machine, after the Atari 2600.
    Andy wrote:
    Going back to PS3/360, the 360 was more interesting to me at the time. They’re both still hooked up, but the 360is in the bedroom, while the PS3 is under the telly in the living room, and gets more use.

The PS3 definitely got better end of life care than the 360.
    poprock wrote:
    The PSP was an amazing piece of kit. Probably the most impressed I’ve ever been by a piece of hardware. I ended up completely hooked on the Wipeout ports for it though, and hardly bought any other games.

The PSP is the only machine I've bought twice and traded in twice. I got it for Patapon and... I can't remember what the second title was. Nothing I tried for it grabbed me for long. Outrun 2006 was probably my most played title and total number of hours was probably in the low tens.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Brought the smini back with me for Xmas, seems like the perfect festive gaming solution tbh, no lugging a big console, nostalgia right in the feels, 2p goodness for me and me bro. We got out Snes one Xmas with starwing so it's a real throwback to our childhood.

Loving Kirby dream golf thing atm, great laid back fun with ample pauses for beer and bud.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Latest Retro Gamer has interesting tidbit - the original Rayman was initially planned for SNES CD, before being moved to SNES when the CD add-on was cancelled. Working prototypes were made (ROMs are available online) but this versions was also cancelled when the Atari Jaguar was announced. I had no idea, but the first Rayman came out on PlayStation, Saturn, and Jaguar. Jaguar! You can get OG Rayman on a cart. Blimey.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    tidbit

To 101s with you!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Buh?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tidbit's commonly thought to be (or actually is) an American puritanism for titbit.

JonB wrote:
    Neo Geo was too late and too expensive. In the late 80s, having arcade games in the home seemed like the Holy Grail. But the MD and SNES showed that dedicated console gaming could offer so much more and they delivered solid arcade ports.

That's what it was. I still loved going to the arcades for their powerhouse cabs, but Street Fighter II was almost as good on the consoles, and there was nothing like A Link to the Past or multiplayer Mario Kart in the arcades.

The MD and SNES were the first generation where gameplay won over graphics. For me, at least. Because the majority of arcade games were short by nature, while their graphics were no longer a decade ahead.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Huh, I always thought it was tidbit. Titbit it is, then.
  • You may now leave the 101s thread, thank you for your cooperation :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone know of a good way of getting price stickers off jewel cases? I picked up a few second hand Dreamcast titles today and the shop's stickers are on there like limpets.
  • Steam it with a kettle. Works a treat just make sure you've removed the inlay !

What did you get? Anything exciting?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • White spirit.
    Get on old t shirt, wrap it round your index finger, slight dip into spirit, rub sticker off. Clean off spirit with diluted washing up liquid and a cloth.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Thanks guys, I'll try Eric's method first then dive's if there's residue left.
    Eric wrote:
    What did you get? Anything exciting?

Not terribly. UEFA Dream Soccer, 90 Minutes: Sega Championship Football, and KISS Psycho Circus. £22 the lot. Just a nice number of ticks on the complete Dreamcast release list.
  • I think UEFA was that one that was a continuation of the Olympic Soccer/World League Soccer games where you held back for lift on the shot.  Not a bad game of footie at the time.
  • Good haul Swirl especially with Kiss in there too.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Kiss was the highlight.
  • Just came across this on Polygon:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/12/15958318/the-5000-decision-to-get-rid-of-my-past

It's a great read about game collecting attachment. Love the final sentence.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bittersweet.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Random question, just wondering what you guys think.

My brother went to Japan recently, and sent me a picture of a games console he couldn't identify. Turns out it was a Sharp Twin Famicom, specifically the red variant. It got me thinking - what happened to licensed clones? Up to the 32 bit generation it seems it was still "a thing", as the Saturn saw machines produced by Hitachi and JVC. I think the last one was probably the Panasonic Q.

So, what happened? Why isn't there a, I dunno, Samsung Xbox One? Or a Toshiba PlayStation 4? Video killed the radio star - what killed the licensed clone?
  • It is a shame there aren't licensed consoles now, it would be nice to have a variety of outer casings beyond colour variants. Or even versions with better (more expensive) audio out options etc.

There is a lot more cross over in tech these days so I don't know if that is an issue, it is difficult to not end up sleeping with the enemy.
  • I think it was a rare thing to begin with, you've probably cited more than 50% of them in that list at a guess.

They are all to do with partnerships of the time as well afaik.

Panasonic helped develop the GCN discs.
    Sharp manufactured the GB screens and made TVs with built in FCs and SFCs.

Not sure on the Saturn ones tbh.

These days I guess the partners of the respective console manufacturers are just makers of parts instead of electronics giants who could make their own versions.

nvidia For example don't make products in the vein of JVC or Panasonic in the 90s.

Sorry for the shocking use of better terminology there, I'm a tad drunk.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I have said for ages I would love it if someone like B&O did an Xbox.

Also been thinking for a while that there is a gap in the market for high end design PC towers as well.
  • The reason they don't exist is also the reason why the 3DO was a failure.

Manufacturers need to make a profit per unit, hence the exorbitant prices of such items.

Consoles for the most part are famously sold at a loss with the company raking in the profits via the software.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah, that is a fair point.
    Also why pay all that money when you can put sticky back leather on a normal one.
  • Speaking of the 3DO there's a decent little retrospective here:

https://youtu.be/BzKF3h1Uc70

I always found the 3DO one of the more interesting consoles of that early/mid 90s boom. I think it came quite close to changing the face of gaming and was well ahead of its time in many respects.

He also does one on the Jaguar that's quite interesting.

I think those two could have fared better than they did with a few changes, it was a fascinating period in gaming.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Manufacturers need to make a profit per unit, hence the exorbitant prices of such items. Consoles for the most part are famously sold at a loss with the company raking in the profits via the software.

Yeah, my brother pointed that out - but if that's true, why did licensed clones exist in the past? Surely the loss-leader argument would have applied then, too?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Manufacturers need to make a profit per unit, hence the exorbitant prices of such items. Consoles for the most part are famously sold at a loss with the company raking in the profits via the software.

Yeah, my brother pointed that out - but if that's true, why did licensed clones exist in the past? Surely the loss-leader argument would have applied then, too?

Like I said, they were all partners of Nintendo/Sega at the time, so they probably had the rights to release their own versions in the contracts. If they're not sold at a loss there's no risk for them, they were all premium products which were probably produced in small quantities.

They probably made little to no money and thus the licensed clone died.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!