• Jealous.  See you next Tuesday etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have landscapers in so need to check the driveway isn't being laid that day!!!!

Will see him in the morning.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • There best fucking be pictures, Davy. Mark my words.
  • We're all living vicariously through you, I hope you realise that.
  • I echo Nicks words...
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yikes.  No pressure then.

There will be pics aplenty - worry not.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have been whetting my appetite for asteroids today by playing the Atari 7800 version.

It's a splendid version of the game. It doesn't try to emulate the original and creates a raster graphics version with colour and rotating rocks. Similar to the old 2600 port but a great deal better.  The old 7800 can certainly shift a lot of sprites. The screen can get chock-full of rocks with no flicker or slowdown - this console could have been a contender had it been properly backed.

Of course the main limitation with any version of Asteroids that isn't HD is the limited angles you can shoot at (original arcade vector monitor Asteroids has the equivalent of HD res) but it's very playable. Extremely tough too. The 7800 controller is a shambles though - hand cramps set in after about 30 mins of play.

It's really only ever been the one version that scratches my asteroids itch to any degree. The XBL version is horrific. The emulation is shoddy and the modernised version is unplayable due to a surfeit of effects rendering bullets and rocks impossible to see with every explosion. Madness. And earlier attempts on PS1 with unnecessary additions were piss poor. MAME does a pretty good rendition of it but the sound isn't right and it just isn't the same playing it on a PC.

I've tried many online versions and indie/freeware versions but they just don't reach the parts that an Atari coded version does. Even the old 2600 port with its limited rock angles is more playable than many flash attempts. You would think this would be an easy game to put together but there is magic in that old Atari code that no-one seems to be able to recreate.

Notched up over 54K on intermediate level. The port has 4 difficulty levels. Tried expert and couldn't hit 30K. I'd play more of this version but my current setup for my 7800 and CRT isn't ideal. The 7800 RF hook-up isn't of the lightest quality either - it has good days and bad days.  Roll on Tuesday!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually - I found the Titan levels in Geometry Wars 3 and GW Galaxies very satisfying too - because you break large enemies up into smaller ones.  Very asteroids-ey
  • My 5 year old daughter was playing Castle of Illusion today and said “I need to take care of these ghost willies”

I managed to stay calm and explain they’re “glowing mushrooms”, but to no avail. They are ghost willies, and nothing was going to convince her otherwise.

Vtix158.jpg
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Parenting win.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Points off for stretched image.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Stretched willies fnar fnar.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Questor wrote:
    Parenting win.

She didn’t hear the phrase “ghost willies “ from me, I assure you. Lol.
  • davyK wrote:

Santa brought my eldest daughter (Imogen, who’s 8), one of those Mega Drives with 80+ games built in.

The emulation isn’t great, and the sound is terrible, but both girls have been loving 2 player Sonic 2, so I’m happy enough with that.
  • Questor wrote:
    Parenting win.
    She didn’t hear the phrase “ghost willies “ from me, I assure you. Lol.

Ghosts give me the willies?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Santa brought my eldest daughter (Imogen, who’s 8), one of those Mega Drives with 80+ games built in. The emulation isn’t great, and the sound is terrible, but both girls have been loving 2 player Sonic 2, so I’m happy enough with that.

Nice.
  • I have been dumping collections of SNES and MD games onto my pie.
    In between the tedious job of scraping metadata I have dipped into a fair few at random, I really need a notepad to jot down the obscure games of note I have played.

One I do remember that was really fun was Pieces on the SNES.
    It is a vs puzzle game, 1 on 1 vs cpu or a friend.
    Each round starts by showing you a picture for a few seconds, you are then given jigsaw puzzle pieces, three at a time and have to recreate the picture. First to 3 wins the round. 
    A really simple concept but the powerups add a level of tactics on complexity.
    Powerups are earnt by placing pieces which fill a powerbar, each time you fill the bar you go to the next level of powerup but using them resets them (think Killstreaks in CoD).

So you need to balance going for a simple powerup like ones that highlight where to place your current 3 pieces or hold out and go for the broom which clears your opponent's placed pieces. Timing is also key, using the broom just as your opponent is about to complete a puzzle is ideal.

A really simple concept but it works really well.
    Oh and your opponents are suitably mental Japanese things. Including Rice Bowl Crab.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't heard of that one. Sounds good - just the sort of thing I like.

Very similar to a Sega Saturn game called Body special - except the subject matter is Japanese models in swimsuits and it is a short looping video not a still image.

Procured purely for reference and research purposes you understand.

It has a 2 player versus mode but understandably haven't tried it yet

• I did think you might like it Davy.
    Probably a lot less embarrassing to play than Body Special.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Body Special is actually a really nice game - it's a pity it didn't have more neutral subject matter.

Wonder if that SNES game supports the mouse (have only watched a bit of the video with no sound - does the reviewer mention mouse control?)
  • I dont think it was mentioned.

Pieces does appear on this list though so it should do.
    https://www.giantbomb.com/snes-mouse-support/3015-3659/games/

It would definitely make the game easier, the difficulty against CPU ramps up quite quickly after the first few rounds.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a couple of mouse controllers - works with Arkanoid and the On The Ball game I posted about in the Retro Game Club.

It's the old ball style (remember those?) but they work OK.

Pieces would be good in 2 player. I play a few tile matching games in 2 player with Wifey and one of the daughters and they can be competitive (Shanghai Triple Threat's Golden Tile mode and another one called Daitoride)
  • I remember people nicking the balls out of the school mouses.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    heh. Remember having to clean the ball once in a while.
  • Thinking about Pieces it would be a great concept to bring over to Switch.
    Skin it with Nintendo characters, maybe add a few more power ups and mix up the piece count and shape of the puzzles. Maybe even animated pictures like Body Special (just not that content)
    The one fault I found with Pieces is unfortunately due to the hardware limitations the pictures aren't really high enough definition, which obviously would be sorted on modern hardware.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye.  There were some WiiWare games that were similar that worked well.

Neves Plus on wii is based on the old Tangram puzzle. Up to 4 people race to complete puzzles - it's really well done.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Asteroids Deluxe has arrived.

Fucking Hell - it's big.

More to follow.
  • Oh my, this is going to be cool. Hopefully you won't have to remove any windows!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Come on, you must have unpacked it by now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!