Retro Gaming
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Rooting for you mate.
  • It's a horrible situation, I'm gutted for you Davy :(

Not sure what else to type now.  Good luck.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I know. TNT reckon replacing that chip will do the job. If replacing this chip doesn't work I'm afraid I'll have to think about cutting my losses. I just don't have the skills for troubleshooting PCBs so maybe this was an ill judged move to make.  :(

Anyhow - will see. If replacing this chip does the job maybe it will be OK.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Hope it works out mate. Given the refurb and what it is you may not lose out too much if TNT wont take back, their highly desirable. I still thibk a visit to Jamma+ may help.

If the worst comes to the worst, maybe a candy cab JAMMA with the funds? I can put you in touch with a few peeps etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hope it works out mate. Given the refurb and what it is you may not lose out too much if TNT wont take back, their highly desirable. I still thibk a visit to Jamma+ may help. If the worst comes to the worst, maybe a candy cab JAMMA with the funds? I can put you in touch with a few peeps etc.

Yeah - have often thought of a JAMMA cab. It would be a great 2nd choice.

Even if TNT did take it back (which I think they would do), returning it to the US while possible would be a logistically complex (more customs, expensive shipping etc) - if worse come to worse getting a UK buyer who has the skills to maintain it would be far more practical.  I'd even consider turning it unto a road trip.

I'm dropping the cartridge PCB I have with the replacement POKEY off at a repair shop at lunchtime - if he can unsolder that then I'll try it in the cabinet. Depending on the outcome (and what happens in the days that follow) I'll need to consider my options.  I'll register on the JAMMA forum as you suggest anyhow.

Many thanks..  :)
  • Hope the replacement POKEY does the job.

Asteroids Deluxe is such a good game, and to have your own cabinet, do everything it takes to get it working.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I will!  My head is all over the place with it. The expense is one thing - and I'm afraid of throwing good money after bad.  The plain disappointment is probably worse. I'm starting wonder if the chip went because of another problem - getting paranoid. Maybe I'm just not built to own one of these things but it's definitely something you need to deal with. Anyhow - hoping the POKEY does the trick.

That JAMMA+ forum @wonderbanana linked to to looks to be a great community. Plenty of UK representation which is a comfort.

I've already found someone else from Belfast who is trying to set up a small arcade!

So maybe that will be a source of help - or in the worst case scenario - someone who can take it off my hands.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Yeah J+ is a great place - need to get my arse back over there though I stay away more as it depresses me I no longer have a cab!

Arcade Otaku is good too but thats much more focused on Candy Cabs rather than the whole scene.

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com

That said, Otaku loves its shmups and the sale section often has console stuff etc so may be if interest.
  • Reminds me of my Dad and my brother with their various kit cars, classics and hot rods over the years.
    Heart breaking and frustrating when things go wrong but worth it when they are running.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Reminds me of my Dad and my brother with their various kit cars, classics and hot rods over the years.

Off topic, I know, but... Pics?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Will have to find some.
    Posted my brother's VW rod before and his latest sled in the car thread.
    My Dad has a Cobra kit and a 30s Vauxhall which he is starting to turn into a rod this summer now he has retired.
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    an amusing comparison is being the best kid in your school during the 90s at Street Fighter II, then getting your arse handed to you online years later. The only comfort is telling yourself 12 year old you would wipe the floor against modern you, somehow convincing yourself you could have held your own online in 1993.
    I still reckon, if the internet had progressed faster, me and my mate from school would have been pro GoldenEye players.
    davyK wrote:
    After experiencing PCE game on he Wii's VC I quickly came to the conclusion that it was a great console and to have owned one when it was contemporary would have been quite something.
    I imagine it's similar to the Neo Geo AES - had you been able to afford one at the time, it must have been mind-blowing.

I was playing Gradius on mine the other day and it is quite something. Also, the CD version of Rtype, the soundtrack is outstanding, even today!
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Will have to find some.

Schweet.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Guess what lads?????

It fucking worked.....

My Asteroids Deluxe is back!
  • Fucking made up for you, Davy. Enjoy.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Fucking awesome!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm now a bit paranoid though.

I've switched it off and let TNT know.  I'll play it an hour or so a day to build up my confidence!!!!

I was wondering in case it overheated - have asked TNT if that was a possibility. This happened after I moved it to a corner and had it running for a couple hours straight. I'm going to keep the back off it for a few days anyway just in case! 

I did have it running the evening of the day it came for a few hours too but I was messing about with the back off and looking at dip switches etc.

Just a wee bit worried in case there is something else wrong that caused the chip to fail. However the chip that was in it originally looks like it's been in the wars - quite beat up looking while the rest of the chips on the board look nice and clean.
  • 200.gif
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • That's brilliant Davy, what are the chances!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Made up for you Davy, I was coming in here to post a 'don't give up dude!' post but seems there's no need.

I should probably add that there will undoubtedly be times as a cabinet owner where you have to roll your sleeves up, but I'm sure after the first few problems to troubleshoot you'll start to become an expert. Super fucking happy that it's fixed mate; if it ever breaks again, know that you can and will fix it. It's a beautiful thing to own.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Have also located some Belfast people into the hobby - nothing like local help. Would like a spell of trouble-free ownership though to settle me down!

Just ran it for an hour there and played a few games and all seems fine. If anything the display is now super crisp though that has nothing to do with the replaced chip (don't think so anyhow).

Probably more to do with the lighting where it's sitting now. It is now in its home location. Pics

hall1small.jpg

hall2small.jpg
  • Delighted.

Enjoy your all time classic.
  • Such a perfect spot for it.  Got any pinball table sized nooks or crannies anywhere?
  • On a side note your house looks fucking huge.

I'm imagine Davy as the Tony Soprano of N.I. now.

You got a home cinema too mate?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Better change Toby to Tony m8.  INTERNET.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Better change Toby to Tony m8.  INTERNET.

Done, phew!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If only.  No room for a pinball sadly...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!