Retro Gaming
  • Btw... 5.51 what’s to do what?
  • mk64 wrote:
    the billy mitchell (I met him btw) thing is a bit weird. 

He's basically saying that the tape proves he did it but the tape doesn't and the tapes lost.

Did what?

Hasn't that record from the film been broken like a half dozen times now?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • yes but a) he has other records and b) if he's found to be a cheat then they should remove him as past champion. 

The dragster thing from what i've watched and read is simply that they've got the game and can't beat 5.57 or whatever is the human best, with an emulator now, so 51 would've been impossible then.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Playing through the Wonderboy: the dragon's trap remake. It's done by the team behind the meka master system emulator and it's quite a solid remaster despite an Nvidia Optimus bug forcing me to play windowed. Gorgeous artwork and redone audio really makes this title stand out. Gameplay while simple stands the test of time.
    Great for fans of the ms/GG original.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I've got this still shrink wrapped at home, I will play it one day!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Btw... 5.51 what’s to do what?
    One of the shortest games ever - it's a time trial (1p) or race (2ps) to the end of a straight in dragster cars. You have to work up through the gears throttling as you go without blowing the engine.

At first you think the game is shit. Then you get it and then it is very addictive.

Dragster is the 1st 2 player split screen game I can think of.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My Asteroids Dx replacement power supply is on the test bench in TNT.
  • What Pop said.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I ended up playing Donkey Kong Country for an hour last night.

I've been watching a series on youtube about them all and its really put me in a DK mood. I hope it doesn't pass before Tropical Freeze drops on the Switch.

I know its become a bit popular to rag on it now but I still think its a very good game.

What do you all thing of the series? Good memories? Good games? Aged bad?

I'd rate the OG and 8 and the second a very high 9. It really was a great sequel imo, only second to the Mario games on the SNES imo.

Funny thing is, I've never played 3 past the opening level or two. Every time I get in a DKC mood I end up playing one of the first two again. I really should just play 3.

Returns and TF were both excellent imo, especially the latter.

For me its a toss up between 2 and TF for first then Returns then the OG.

DK64 never appealed for some reason. I was never a fan of Banjo's collectathon approach and I remember reading DK64 was that ten fold, fuck that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I played the original - picked it up in Woolworth's bargain bin complete with the CD.

I really enjoyed it. It was no Yoshi's Island but then what is?

It's a really solid game and I still like how it looks. It's one of the few platformers that Wifey and I played together (we usually played versus puzzle games). I liked the fact that there's 2 player co-op and competitive modes.  I remember completing it but not having a feeling of wanting to play it again - some sort of score attack feature would have been nice.

The only downside about it is the mini games are a bit humdrum and the rewards aren't particularly worthwhile either. It's a pity they didn't make the banana count quest more obvious (you either lose or gain an exclamation mark after each level's name when you collect them all - forget which way round it is).

The only other game in the series I've played is DKC returns on Wii which I love because it's got a pile or replay value with TT mode etc. Still haven't completed it though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    A series I'd love to love but end up rage quitting. Last one I played was Returns on Wii. Looking forward to TF on Switch just for the Funky Kong easy mode.

If I see Returns for 3DS at a reasonable price I'm tempted to try that: IIRC that has a mode for crap DKC players, too.

I did finish and thoroughly enjoy DK64 on Wii U VC, though.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Returns is tough. The original had a handful of tricky sections but it wasn't too hard overall.
  • I was playing the first one the other day and found it frustrating.
    Main difficulties seemed to be around the games want for me to be accurate but the graphics and animation making that difficult.
    It is hard to know exactly what the hit boxes are for platforms and Diddy's cart wheel is vague.
  • Yeah, the graphical style took away some of the precision. The 'physics' of it always felt a bit off to me as well.

Overall I always found them solid but uninspired platformers. Pleasant enough for an hour here and there. The SNES ones that is, I've not played any since.
  • I played DKC on GBA as a retro title (must've been in 2009ish).  Solid platforming and a far better game than I was expecting.  I like stuff like timing when to fire barrels, and the more difficult levels are better than the easier ones, which 8-16-bit platformers can fudge sometimes.  I bought a cart no box copy of 2 when I was collecting GBA games, but it was a snide one with no battery back up (same as my copy of Kirby's Dreamland).  Still haven't played it, but intend to on the Pi at some point. 

DKCR and DKCTF I did in co-op with retroking.  Returns was fun, the Retro Studios efforts are far better than most platformers that offer co-op for actually playing in co-op (>Rayman, Yarn Kirby, Wool Yoshi), but Tropical Freeze was next level.  I'd buy a whole game based around the minecart sections right now, imo the best ones are better than anything in something like Bit.Trip Runner 2.  It's a [9] from me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I prefer the original Bit.Trip Runner on Wii to the sequel (I got it for 360) -not sure why as #2 has an awful lot more going for it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I know its become a bit popular to rag on it now but I still think its a very good game.

I played it in the same month as Mario World in the summer and preferred it. I was a bit surprised by how repetitive World's levels are, because I only remembered it having a couple of Ghost Houses and not nearly as much green. Country has its water music, I've always loved its graphics, and it has a nice variety of levels.

JonB wrote:
    The 'physics' of it always felt a bit off to me as well.

People criticise it for that, but I think that's largely only true in comparison to the sharpest platformers that predate it. Next to most of the platformers that followed its controls were fine. And its collision detection was pretty good for the time.

Also, I hate the cape controls in Mario World more than anything in DKC.
  • davyK wrote:
    I prefer the original Bit.Trip Runner on Wii to the sequel (I got it for 360) -not sure why as #2 has an awful lot more going for it.

I've got a collection on 3DS and no.2 was one of the few EShop games I bought on Wii U.  I like them, but drifted away from both after a few hours.  Another sequel is on its way, but it looks a bit messier than I'd like - bells & whistles drawing the eye away from the purity of the gameplay, perhaps.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I've got a collection on 3DS and no.2 was one of the few EShop games I bought on Wii U.  I like them, but drifted away from both after a few hours.  Another sequel is on its way, but it looks a bit messier than I'd like - bells & whistles drawing the eye away from the purity of the gameplay, perhaps.

Aye. I suspect even 2's additions put me off.
  • davyK wrote:
      I remember completing it but not having a feeling of wanting to play it again - some sort of score attack feature would have been nice.

The SNES games could have benefited with a bit of tracking regarding collectibles like the Wii/U games.

What levels have I got the KONG letters in, X/X secrets found etc.

As they are there's a % completion but absolutely no clue as to where or what you've missed.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The final level in Returns, the one you unlock after the KONG hunt iirc, is superb.  It does the 'gradually learn this' super-tough thing perfectly (Shovel Knight campaign mode and Volgarr are built around that kind of memory based progression).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
      I remember completing it but not having a feeling of wanting to play it again - some sort of score attack feature would have been nice.
    The SNES games could have benefited with a bit of tracking regarding collectibles like the Wii/U games. What levels have I got the KONG letters in, X/X secrets found etc. As they are there's a % completion but absolutely no clue as to where or what you've missed.

Aye. Would have made a big difference for me that.
  • I really liked DKC on the snes, got 101% completion on it I think, then my brother's mate deleted my save on purpose because when we borrowed his Super Metroid the save got deleted through no fault of our own (just got wiped through some cart error). What a cunt.
  • FU dude, I thought you were cool.
  • A mate's little brother deleted my big Landstalker save, when there were four slots available.  When I got it back 'Ace' had apparently embarked on an adventure that lasted around 11 minutes.
  • I absolutely did not delete his SM save, the cart just fucked up. He then purposely deleted my 101% DKC save. I'm holding you personally responsible for this, Moot.
  • On the plus side at least it wasn't a 100% clear file.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!