PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Random shite I found on YouTube time.

Company 8bitdo makes Nintendo "inspired" items. Probably of the most interest are the two SN30 pads. The SN30 2.4 is a wireless pad that works with the (Super) NES Mini, and presumably the Wii/Wii U via Wiimotes. It uses a dongle to connect to Nintendo's proprietary ports that we first saw on the bottom ends of our Wiimotes.

10400755.jpg

The pad is charged via USB (what isn't these days?), and using it that way also lets you connect it to your PC. It's also available in a Euro/Jap colour scheme. (I.e., the correct colour scheme.)

The SN30 Pro adds extra shoulder buttons and twin analogue sticks. It's also wireless, though it can still be used with the Minis (and Wii/Wii U, I presume) via a dongle. Unlike the SN30 2.4, it uses bluetooth, so it'll also work with PS4, PC, and Switch (and even features a screen shot button for the latter). I assume it'll work with the Xbox One, but don't quote me on that.

sfc30-pro.png
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I have the pro, it is fantastic.
    Went for the pro so I could play psx and N64 games as well as 16bit era on my retropie. The shoulder buttons wouldn't be any good for anything modern mind, they are quite close together so suit having only one finger on each shoulder (I know some play with two on each shoulder).

The d-pad and buttons are great, really responsive with no squishiness.
    The small, light grey buttons sit flush with the pad so no chance of accidently pressing them. I have save states mapped to them.

It's two thumbs up from me. Worth the price tag which does seem high initially.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Went for the pro so I could play psx and N64 games as well as 16bit era on my retropie.

For ultra mega bonus points, did you get the NESPi case?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I did not. I have a fairly standard case but planning a DIY storage box for my Pi, Steam link and HDD.

I have the box, it's a solid wood, red velvet lined cutlery set case.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Velvet, you say? I'll let you off then.

In the mean time, more random shite off the interwebs. Here's a ridiculous N64DD listing - keyboard, mouse, F-Zero Expansion Kit, what I think is Sim City, etc. I don't think I'd ever heard of an N64 keyboard before, but it makes sense with the online service that the N64DD had access to.

Linky link.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I also had no idea that the N64DD software came on pseudo-CD cases.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The pro is the Bluetooth one isn't it?

Have you tried it on mobile? I was thinking of getting one at some point, they even have an add on that you clip your phone and controller in and it's close to a handheld. Was wondering how good the Bluetooth would hold up, if there's any delay.

I like that I could use it with my phone, pc and switch.
  • Yeah pro is blue tooth. Sorry, only tried it on the pi so far.
  • Isn't the non-pro pad bluetooth? It says so right on the front.

Or am I missing something?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tell you what, Retro, you might be right about Secret of Mana. I'd forgotten how much its combat stinks.

Which is a real shame, because it moves so well and could easily be better than A Link to the Past's and LandStalker's. Its here-have-a-balloon randomness is rubbish. Ditto having to wait for 100% attacks. Realtime or bust.
  • Thor for combat.  Dytto has a magic gauge, but can supplement your attacks whenever you like.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Absolute you-am-now-frozen-lol absurdity! I remembered not liking its combat, but not that it gives you zero warning to avoid stuff.
  • Escape wrote:
    Tell you what, Retro, you might be right about Secret of Mana. I'd forgotten how much its combat stinks.

Even back then I thought it was a bit rough around the edges.

Tbf there's a good digital foundry on the remake at the moment that also talks about the SNES version. It started development as a launch title for the SNES CD and the development struggled when they had scale it back for cart.

It's worth a watch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That N64 bulky drive is nice. Why didn't the VC version of F-Zero X include the expansion pack.  :(

I believe the tech was based on zip drives - remember those ? With the big fat disks?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • was costly.. very very expensive to make.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Another Nintendo product that should never have progressed past R&D.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It was madness.
    It solved none of the issues N64 was suffering with.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Asteroids Deluxe update.

Power supply arrived today.

Have tested it without the game board connected up - getting 5.57v on the 5v test point.

Waiting to see if TNT are happy with me to proceed......
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Isn't the non-pro pad bluetooth? It says so right on the front. Or am I missing something?

I think the non-pro is wireless, and probably uses bluetooth, but it's not a true bluetooth device per se. You have to physically connect it to a device with a dongle. The pro is "proper" wireless and should work with anything that has bluetooth functionality.

I think.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I believe the tech was based on zip drives - remember those ? With the big fat disks?

I do - my Dad got an external drive for his 486 PC (!). Later on he even sprung for an internal one. I thought they were the future, like something out of Star Trek.

Talking of Zip disks, anyone else seen the prototype drive for Dreamcast? Never saw the light of day, predictably enough.

sega-dreamcast-zip-drive-1.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had a zip drive for my PC - used it to back stuff up.  They got to be reasonably priced after a while.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Asteroids Deluxe working again but the explosion sounds are a bit scratchy. The display is flickering a bit too.

Have the power supply adjusted to just a shade over 5v (5.02-5.03).  

Hmmmm....
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    They got to be reasonably priced after a while.

They had some at my college in '97, so I guess they must've been quite affordable by then. I do remember their prices falling dramatically fairly soon after.

Did they test that cab properly?! Given its price, it sounds like a bit more than a few shipping wobbles.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Asteroids Deluxe update

I've been directed to twiddle the brightness and contrast pots which seems to have sorted out the flicker.  The flicker was a minor issue before it failed - it seemed to happen more when just powered up. Had to search around for the controls but it turned out they were clearly labelled once I looked in the right place (which was through the coin door) - hopeful that issue is sorted.

Some arcade forums have said that after delivery you should really leave a machine 24hrs before powering up to let it adjust to the ambient temperature and let any condensation clear up etc. - That would explain the adjustment pots causing issues. Some other guys I've spoken too don't seem all that surprised after it sitting in a container for a month - and it was bloody cold when it arrived.

The power supplies are rebuilt - the components look brand new - and they did send me a complete new one under warranty. They said sometimes they just fail. It was easy to swap out.

Main thing is the game is operating fine now and the test mode says all the ROMs are OK. I was worried in case the power supply had damaged them. I'll probably keep checking the voltage over the next few days to make sure it stays steady.

All seems fine now apart from some of the sounds being different - namely the deeper thrust and explosion sounds. Actually just the explosions I think. The volume control is a bit twitchy so it might be that. I've raised a query with them anyhow - I might check out the speaker connections - it's behind the marque so is easy to find.

The changed power supply is also the amplifier and it is a different revision so it could just be that too.

The sound difference isn't a massive issue as long as everything else remains OK.....it will normally be played pretty low and it isn't really noticeable that way. It's a bit of shame if it can't be resolved though because the game sounded SO good before.

it's just taken the edge off the pleasure of owning one of these things.  For now, I just want this thing to work hassle free so I can enjoy it. It really is a wonderful game to play.

I might get my old power supply repaired. Will be good to have a spare and would be interesting to swap out and see if the sound is different.
  • Sounding promising Davy :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I owned one of these once:

Break.jpg

Answering questions from the '80s as a teenager in the '90s wasn't the easiest. (Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? format.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember those in the pubs. You picked the difficulty of the questions based on the colour of the balls. It was a Radio 1 quiz as well.
  • davyK wrote:
    I had a zip drive for my PC - used it to back stuff up.  They got to be reasonably priced after a while.

Zip drives were a de facto standard for us Mac-using designers. Took over from big Syquest drives. Only faded from use as writable CDs became so cheap as to be disposable. Nowadays it’s all USB sticks and transferring stuff via the power of the clod.

Good news on Asteroids! It’s a rollercoaster you’re taking us all on.
  • Reposting from a less popular thread:

Evening all. Without even trying to read five years of posts, does anyone have a cracked Vita for emulator purposes? Or good advice for anyone (me) that may wish to?

Cheers x

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!