Retro Gaming
  • Are Reg's pics not resizing for anyone else?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here he comes
  • When the Micro was released I thought it was ridiculous, and its existence irritated me in a similar way to the New 3DS.  A few years later it's probably my favourite hardware.  The screen is so crisp, and I've always preferred smaller handhelds, maybe something to do with all the LCD games I had as a kid.  I played it loads last year, and obviously it's hard going with some games due to throwback save systems, but some software has a sleep mode.  Minish Cap, Mario Golf, Medal of Honor Infiltrator, Wario Land 4, Monkey Ball Jr., Metroid Fusion, Klonoa, Mario + Donkey Kong, Ninja Cop, Wade Hixton's Counterpunch, Mario Tennis, Spiderman: Mysterio's Menace - played through them all last year.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Metroid double header on GBA is one of my favourites ever. Spent £120 on CIB copies and the fusion japanese version is even in English. Droooolll
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Night of Wii was really good,plan on finishing the old Disaster today, it's a terrible game with hilarious voice acting but the virtua cop bits are okay
  • Anyone copping the Dreamcast Collected Works book pre-order that went live today? Mighty tempted but it's a bit outta my range for just now.

Also Reg, S&P 2 is the boy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah I nearly finished s&p2 and i dunno why not
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyone copping the Dreamcast Collected Works book pre-order that went live today? Mighty tempted but it's a bit outta my range for just now......

I wants it.

Must. resist.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I think I backed it on Kickstarter last year.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • I've a friend going to Japan at Easter.

How much do Saturns with a ram pack/pro action replay go for?

Don't care if it's boxed or not.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If it isn't boxed it and you don't want a collectors edition of the console then it should be cheap enough.

Might be an idea to get a backup save cart which may be easier to get there. Far more capacity than the on-board backup save area. Factor in a step down transformer though - and make sure the Saturn comes with the JP power cable to use with the transformer. Cables - composite will get you started but you may want to get an RGB SCART cable for it - the PAL RGB SCART cables are wired differently. Easily obtained on the web though.

Re carts it depends what games are being played - if only playing JPN games then you won't need anything - maybe a 4MB RAM pack which might be cheap on its own and then make it easier to pay for Capcom 4MB versus games.

If playing imports then the Action Replay can be picked up off the web easily enough.

1st party PAL games were optimised so if you want to play those you would need to rebuy the JP versions. Sega Rally, VF2, Nights etc are dirt cheap though no matter what the region.
  • I've a friend going to Japan at Easter. How much do Saturns with a ram pack/pro action replay go for? Don't care if it's boxed or not.

Rough estimates but Saturns probably go for £15-25 and action replay maybe £15-25 based on eBay.
  • Davy, is there anything I should know about the save carts before getting one? I have the Action Replay but after getting a modded Saturn I'm getting fed up by the AR start up screen and I've read that few games have so big saves that AR wouldn't really be convenient as you can't directly save to it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've heard people complaining about save carts becoming corrupted but it hasn't happened to me - it's probably more to do with the infamous Saturn cart slot connector.

I have two official Sega cartridges and I'd stick with those if you can. I keep one perma-plugged in and only take it out if playing a 4MB versus game that needs the 4MB cart which isn't that often unless I have people over who are into that type of game.

I have found a small number of games that won't save to the cart at all and only work with the system memory - DoDonPachi is one of those for example. I think Digital Pinball is the same. So I just copy those to the cartridge once in a while as a measure against losing high scores when the system battery runs out. I like to keep my high scores :)

There are other games that only save to the system memory but if you subsequently move the file to the cartridge it will then work off the cartridge - a bit weird but you only have to do that once with each game that works that way.

Other games let you select system or cart - there doesn't appear to be any standardisation of this.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Anyone copping the Dreamcast Collected Works book pre-order that went live today? Mighty tempted but it's a bit outta my range for just now.

The what?

• I backed that. Regret not getting a limited edition JSR cover mind as that is ghastly. Looks like someone's forgot to constrain proportions.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Capcom Fighters would be a large part of my intended collection.

Does a JP Saturn play US discs natively or does it need to be modded?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Capcom Fighters would be a large part of my intended collection.

Does a JP Saturn play US discs natively or does it need to be modded?

Unfortunately not you need to mod it or get the 5 in one Action Replay cart Chopper.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Capcom Fighters would be a large part of my intended collection. Does a JP Saturn play US discs natively or does it need to be modded?
    Unfortunately not you need to mod it or get the 5 in one Action Replay cart Chopper.

Yup. You will need a mod or the AR cartridge. The AR cart is a fine way to do it as it has the 4MB RAM expansion built in. The cartridge isn't expensive. £25 from here:
    http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

I've used this guy for different things. His website is low tech but he's a very good seller.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've bought so many Saturn fighting games now my house is chocka of 4mb ram cards. Every KoF and (the daddy) SF Vs Xmen have them if you get them CIB
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually - most - if not all - of the 4MB fighting games are JP only anyhow! So no need for an AR for those games provided you get a 4MB RAM cart which won't be difficult.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Failed power supply posted off to TNT. With 10 days each way to US it will probably be near the end of the month before I get it back. Will be interesting to see if the explosion sound I'm currently experiencing improves with it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone know if this is legit? It's currently being sold on eBay, but it's not something I've ever heard of.

wPhW3HQ.png

eBay listing.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have heard of Saturn system discs which are more valuable because of their usefulness. Haven't heard of a Dreamcast one and given the ease with which discs can be burned for them I'm not sure what it's purpose is beyond being a collectable.  It could be used for playing genuine beta discs I suppose.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • Anyone copping the Dreamcast Collected Works book pre-order that went live today? Mighty tempted but it's a bit outta my range for just now.

Of course! ;)

I backed the Kickstarter for the Mizuguchi signed version.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I'm not sure what it's purpose is beyond being a collectable.

Pretty much that, yes. Thanks for the video, I'll check it out later.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!