Retro Gaming
  • davyK wrote:
    There's a video that shows him picking up hundreds of old big box PC games from someone's house for $75. Think it was a craiglists thing. Nuts.

Proper steal that was.

You know you've found a good youtuber when your watching videos on collections you have no personal interest in.

A few of his regular guests have decent channels that are worth checking out.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • He seems good, I enjoyed his tone and delivery, terrible name mind.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • He has a pick ups video where he describes going to a place to pick up PC games.

It was a Craigslist ad, he got there and he was unsure, it was a bit trailer trash but he went in and found somes games he wanted and agreed a price.
    He then asks if she has anything else gaming that she was wanting rid of.
    She shows him a stack of SNES games, she thought they were worthless like VHS tapes. They were previously all CIB but she had been burning the boxes for firewood!

Metal Jesus picks what he wants out of the pile, gives her a fair price then explains that they are worth something. He gave her contact details of a couple of retro game stores that would be willing to come out and bulk buy them off her.

Whadda guy, I don't think I could have resisted buying the lot up for a low price.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I always think he's called Metal Gear Jesus, confuses me.

Like his channel too, he is someone that hasn't forgotten handhelds, and recommends games most people wouldn't even look at. I like his open mind.
  • Was just browsing YouTube, when I came across this.... ‘F-Zero’ on Mega Drive. It’s homebrew, and actually pretty impressive.

https://youtu.be/mqT9gKsxGSg
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • That's pretty nifty for a homebrew thing, but the most notable part of the video for me is how impressive the SNES version looks.  I've never really played it past a track or two, even the Gamecube version.  Might dig out the GBA cart when I'm done with Darkest Dungeon.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I might fire up my SNES f zero after staunching the huns
  • It’s a brilliant game. F-Zero, I mean, not the Old Firm match which I expect Celtic to win comfortably.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Errrrr
  • F-Zero X is where it's at.

SNES game is solid, GX just didn't feel right imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    X > GX > original.

All great.

GX is just too hard.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Eric wrote:
    Good news all round then. Cheers Reg & Davy. That video where 'Metal Jesus' swings his GC round the table is hilarious!

Mal0wner do you have a link? I'm guessing your paying less than $150?

This is the guy's website
    https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home

They are $100. I had to put my name down on a waiting list months ago. Don't know how long the wait would be now.

Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    X > GX > original.

All great.

GX is just too hard.

Agreed that GX was nails.

But it'd be AX > GX > original > X > GBA entries for me. But, as mentioned, all top banana. F-Zero games are like oral sex and pizza. Even when it's bad it's still pretty good.

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • F-Zero games are like oral sex and pizza. If it's too hard it's just not enjoyable.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    X > GX > original. All great. GX is just too hard.
    Agreed that GX was nails. But it'd be AX > GX > original > X > GBA entries for me. But, as mentioned, all top banana. F-Zero games are like oral sex and pizza. Even when it's bad it's still pretty good.

Only played AX once in an airport. Was brief so had no real chance to evaluate it but it made the Gamecube title feel all the more impressive technically as at first glance at least, they looked quite similar.
  • hi, i'm trying to remember the name of the mail order company which was in the back of all the gaming mags in the 80's and 90's?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Special reserve?

Probably. Early ads had a knight or similar character? Based in Sawbridgeworth. Been there many times, both before they had the shop and when they did.

• I remember you had to be a member back then, but the prices were significantly cheaper. 

Had a friend who used to get PC stuff from them, and ended up using his membership to get some MD games.
  • yeah special reserve, thanks. Was bugging me
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Only played AX once in an airport. Was brief so had no real chance to evaluate it but it made the Gamecube title feel all the more impressive technically as at first glance at least, they looked quite similar.

I found a sit-down cab when I lived in Canada for a year as part of my undergrad. It was a two hour bus ride away but bus schedule was regular enough I could do there and back on a Saturday. I'd drop $20 in each time. It had a GameCube memory card slot, so I unlocked a few bits and pieces for GX. My favourite, iirc, was a Taxi cab ship piloted by a stereotypical grey alien.

I think an AX cab would top my list of arcade machines to get should I win £PhatStax.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Another "iirc" but I think AX ran on the TriForce board, which was a GameCube with turbo chargers and a racing stripe. So the two *X titles would look quite similar.
  • GX can be hacked and contains the entire AX game on the retail disc.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, an early example of on-the-disc DLC.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Had chance to do a quick Google, AX was indeed on TriForce. And it also confirmed a suspicion I had - the TriForce was one of a number of arcade boards that used the GD-ROM format.
  • Someone mentioned it a few months ago and I went through old magazines trying to jog my memory, without success.  Good work.

Edit: Special Reserve.  Hadn't refreshed the tab since this morning.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    GX can be hacked and contains the entire AX game on the retail disc.

Think it needs a certain version of the AR disc which went up in value when news of it broke.

Imagine if it had worked with the BB adaptor for LAN/linkup play.....sigh. Was a pity GX didn't use it either.
  • Ah, didnt realise that.

There are isos available for Dolphin so there is that option, not sure if it would work on Wii Homebrew.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wii Homebrew is probably the easiest way if the files are available - think I remember seeing a video of it running that way.

The AR disc you need allowed the entry of custom codes - a feature that was dropped in later releases; probably to secure further sales.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Talking of hidden files, this month's Retro Gamer did mention that there's a Spectrum emulator in GoldenEye. If you run the game in an emulator with the right patch installed, you can get at it.

The rest of the article was a bit pants. Tried to cover too much and ended up not providing much detail. Fun fact: The chap who did the motion capture did the gun shot reactions blind folded, and was then slapped and pushed. The blind fold ensured he didn't know when the blows were coming and hence the mocap wouldn't pick up him bracing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!