Retro Gaming
  • I love how the controls are so unique that it's an acquired skill, you have to learn it, you develop muscle memory. It's one of the reasons I love IIDX so much, there's a point where you don't have to think about what your fingers need to do, they just do it, and I imagine it's the same with Asteroids?
  • nick_md wrote:
    I would fucking love to play Asteroids on a genuine cab. Can't say I've played it ever other than on an emu or clone, and even then I could see the brilliance in the design.

PT innit
  • Check out the Four Quarters in Peck'nam Nick, they've got one in there.
  • I've been meaning to go there for a while, I should get off my arse. And avoid walking into the door while I'm at it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I love how the controls are so unique that it's an acquired skill, you have to learn it, you develop muscle memory. It's one of the reasons I love IIDX so much, there's a point where you don't have to think about what your fingers need to do, they just do it, and I imagine it's the same with Asteroids?

Pretty much yeah - I can rotate and thrust with a fair degree of confidence - I always was able to do that - it's probably why I like gravity shooters like Thrust.
    The vector display allows for razor sharp collision detection so the game has lot of scope for getting really good at nudging around between rocks.

Reaching the shield button when you need it requires muscle memory. Mastery of its use and dealing with the 4 shots on screen limit are key skills. 

The ufos in deluxe are brutal - they were upgraded to stop you lurking and it's highly effective - you really don't want to be going one-on-one against the tiny saucer too often. They take out any stray rocks pretty quickly too. And they always hit the snowflake satellite that breaks up into homing missiles - so dealing with those while a saucer is on the screen gets really tough early on in the game.

The shield is finite - it wears out with use - you can tell how much of it you have left by its brightness. It's only renewed when you lose a life and start with a new ship. It's a brilliant update to the original's hyperspace which is really just a panic button.

It's proper shooting too - you need to lead your shots - something that the shooting genre left behind quite early on.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    I can rotate and thrust with a fair degree of confidence - I always was able to do that
    I think this deserves quoting out of context.
  • Ha ha ha ha!!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Splendid.

If only.
  • The only version of Asteroids I've ever played extensively is the 2600 version, and I loved it.
  • Same here.

The Atari was home to all those arcade classics for me. They might be gimped but they're what I know and love.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • nick_md wrote:
    I've been meaning to go there for a while, I should get off my arse. And avoid walking into the door while I'm at it.

You'd have to be a right wally, they've got a sign up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The 2600 version is , for all its shortcomings, an extremely good port. It doesn't look like the original very much and compromises are made - but what's important is that it felt like playing the original.  Most of the first party 2600 ports achieved that alchemy with extremely limited resources - Dig Dug and Berserk spring to mind as great examples, but Asteroids is close to being top of the pile.

I played a lot of the 2600 port in the 80s and playing the arcade game brings back some of the feelings of playing the 2600 game. Those Atari developers really were something special. Even the cabinet code is running on a 6502 with 8K or something. Sure it's helped with extra hardware for sight and sounds, but it's damn impressive.

Best home port of Asteroids is the 7800 version. It's quite brilliant. Atari built it into the PAL console - it plays when there is no cartridge in the slot. It benefits from the extra oomph the 7800 has (it's a great sprite shifter) and it also has unique 2 player co-op and versus modes.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Buyer beware I guess.

Shocking that you could buy a Twilight Princess for £45 and not know its fake!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HF4dO1HorVk
  • Aye I've seen these vids pop up. As a former employee, it's common practice for them if a game gets traded in without a cover (and is over £8 in value). It'll then get shipped off to the cex labelling centre, they'll google the box art and print it and send it back to the shop.

Sucks, but that's business. Just be on the look out for telltale signs of toner.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Thats fucking disgusting, especially on retro stuff.

• It's a double rob as they'll dock the person trading it in on its value for not having a box, typically by quite a bit. There's generic "no label" barcodes for each console. Doesn't matter what game it is for that console that's not got a box, you get the same unboxed value. They then spend a couple of quid sending it back and forth for a relabel, then put it back out at max value.
  • EDIT
    *needless waffle*

It's all up there.
  • That's shocking.

https://www.pomelopictures.com/home/2018/3/3/investigation-into-cex-printing-fake-game-cases

In words there if you can't spend 15 minutes listening to him blather on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't think people would mind if they knew it was a repro and it was cheaper than genuine packaging. This seems to be misleading though?
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I don't think people would mind if they knew it was a repro and it was cheaper than genuine packaging. This seems to be misleading though?

Thing is its not cheaper. Also not stated obviously either. And as Gav said, they'll pay the person trading in less for unbozwd then charge full whack for a printed cover without disclosure.

• Seems like false advertising to me but too niche for trading standards to get their head around.
  • Aye cex operate in a grey area re trading standards. We'd be told to laugh it off. Once you sign that receipt trading stuff in, it's a contract. You lose.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I haven't bought much from them but that's it - won't catch me back there - not to buy anything of high value at any rate. I'm a collector and this sort of thing matters.

I got Metroid Trilogy from there but that was a few years ago now. Apart from that I haven't bought anything from there of any value.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Duly noted. I've bought a few things from CEX but I always make 'em open up the boxes to make sure it's all there and legit (as far as I can tell). I've told 'em to put a couple of games back on the shelves after finding out that the disc was destroyed or the manual missing/shredded.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I inspected Metroid Trilogy before paying. It was £50 but everything was pristine and I knew it would go up in value.
  • How much does it go for these days?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yikes Davy, I'd say that's a bit steep. You can get one on eBay for around £35-45. Wii prices have generally dropped across the board.
  • Might be time to pick Silent Hill up then.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You can get it for like £10-15 now

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!