Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have opened up the control panel. It comes apart really easy - just two wingnuts underneath the control panel that you access via the coin door.  You undo those and the panel is hinged at the front so it tips over to reveal the contacts and cabling.

It's industrial strength. The contacts beneath each button are enormous. A button press is registered when two bendy metal tabs touch; each tab being larger than your thumb. It isn't a part of it I'd be all that concerned about.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I wish Davy was my dad.  If mine was listening to Springstten on vinyl I would've got shouted at just for walking about because of THE NEEDLE.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I encourage use - but I can be touchy about games and CDs not being put back in the correct cases.

And liquid near "the cabinet" would be frowned upon.....
  • DVD chase was one of the more regular games in the Moot house after the missus moved in.  I'll be the first to admit I'm incredibly messy, but she was an absolute nightmare for it.  I had to consider it a win if a disc made its way back into any box, let alone the correct one.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    How to organise CDs: Right disc in the right box, with the disc orientated correctly. On the shelf, its alphabetical by band name (ignoring "the"), then chronological by release date. Band names starting with numbers go before A. Compilations go after Z.

ANYTHING ELSE IS HERESY.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • How to organise CDs:

Half of them in a single stack. The rest in the wrong cases, in no particular order. Look for CD. Listen to it on Spotify instead.
  • I store them in the charity shop because physical media is dead.
  • How to update a retro title: Wonderboy III.  I'd forgotten how good this was.  In fact, I may not have realised as a kid, as I always preferred Monster Land.  This is great though.  Hawkman is mine, loving it.  Has a beautiful rotating/parallax thing going on with the updated backdrops, real nice.  Retro mode at the touch of a button too.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    How to organise CDs: Right disc in the right box, with the disc orientated correctly. On the shelf, its alphabetical by band name (ignoring "the"), then chronological by release date. Band names starting with numbers go before A. Compilations go after Z.

ANYTHING ELSE IS HERESY.

Also rare band names that start with "A", the A gets ignored.

Also names of people go by the first letter of their second name.

The HMV way.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Afgav gets it. When I am king, his death will be quick and painless.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I usually put games of the same series in release order too.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Mc before the rest of the M section?

So McCartney then the Manic Street Preachers?
  • I store them in the charity shop because physical media is dead.

My man.

But I get Swirls point and it's exactly why organising your games digitally needs these options.

Ordered by last played can do one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • WorKid wrote:
    Mc before the rest of the M section?

So McCartney then the Manic Street Preachers?

No, that's treated as MC. Manics as MA so they come first.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Manics always come first.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Librarians sort Mc as "Mac".
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't read this yet so might not be much cop but there should be interest here.

The story of the infamous 2600 port of Pacman.

http://www.lazzeri.online/pics/Pacman.pdf
  • My library did Mc and Mac together, ie treated them as the same, but all came before the rest of the Ms, so McCartney then Manics. If they'd written books anyway, no idea if they were consistent with their CDs but I bet they were.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Let me ask my wife who is an actual university librarian
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pretty sure she will say Mac and Mc are together unless libraries have changed. 

I used to design, develop and support public library management software (being in that team was my first "proper" job actually). Was quite a big system - ran what would be called a mainframe then. It managed the circulation (issues/returns/reservations, etc), cataloguing (including British Marc interface and classification etc) and acquisition (orders, budgets etc - we even had electronic order generation just around the time the web was taking off - meant the library boards got discounts from the big booksellers).

Our system used to calculate the PLR too - the public lending rate is a payment made to authors of books based on loan stats. Not sure if that is still in place?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Haven't read this yet so might not be much cop but there should be interest here. The story of the infamous 2600 port of Pacman. http://www.lazzeri.online/pics/Pacman.pdf

Also in this month's Retro Gamer. Geezer who programmed it defends it quite well - basically "no one had done a port before, the 2600 was a severely limited machine, I made some judgement calls which turned out to be wrong in hindsight".

It also earned him millions overnight, as Atari had started treating their programmers with a smidgen of respect (to stop another Activision forming). He got 10c per cart.
  • I've got a day off, no wife, no kids.
    I've got Nana's fully loaded Wii.

What don't I have? Any fucking AA batteries.

Back to the PC.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Pretty sure she will say Mac and Mc are together unless libraries have changed. 

I used to design, develop and support public library management software (being in that team was my first "proper" job actually). Was quite a big system - ran what would be called a mainframe then. It managed the circulation (issues/returns/reservations, etc), cataloguing (including British Marc interface and classification etc) and acquisition (orders, budgets etc - we even had electronic order generation just around the time the web was taking off - meant the library boards got discounts from the big booksellers).

Our system used to calculate the PLR too - the public lending rate is a payment made to authors of books based on loan stats. Not sure if that is still in place?

She has said NO and goes by the letter of the alphabet law. But Edinburgh university's library is Edinburgh university's library and not anywhere else. So YMMV
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Pretty sure she will say Mac and Mc are together unless libraries have changed.  I used to design, develop and support public library management software (being in that team was my first "proper" job actually). Was quite a big system - ran what would be called a mainframe then. It managed the circulation (issues/returns/reservations, etc), cataloguing (including British Marc interface and classification etc) and acquisition (orders, budgets etc - we even had electronic order generation just around the time the web was taking off - meant the library boards got discounts from the big booksellers). Our system used to calculate the PLR too - the public lending rate is a payment made to authors of books based on loan stats. Not sure if that is still in place?
    She has said NO and goes by the letter of the alphabet law. But Edinburgh university's library is Edinburgh university's library and not anywhere else. So YMMV

:(
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    I've got a day off, no wife, no kids.
    I've got Nana's fully loaded Wii.

What don't I have? Any fucking AA batteries.

Back to the PC.

Lol, made me chuckle!

You tried Mario Kart GP yet?

• That was going to be today's treat. I even raided the Sky remote but not enough power. It'll have to be tomorrow. :(
  • Got some batteries. Loving it. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More evidence of early Atari greatness should it be needed. If this is to be believed it is highly impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=TvYLCsmNKfE
  • That's not far off Star Wars Arcade or Stellar Assault on 32X.  Crazy.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Got some batteries. Loving it. :)

Glad to hear, awesome little machine and the Mario GP's are a treasure. I always kinda like playing stuff at home you're not supposed to, its an added buzz.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!