Retro Gaming
  • Found one on amazon.de that comes with all cables and a transformer.

Sent a not so subtle message to my wife reminding her that my birthday is coming up.
  • Same method I always use, lol. Good luck :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Now to find a good CRT...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Consoles themselves won't be that expensive though. Rob Webb / consolegoods.co.uk might be worth a look. His site is distinctly low tech but he's a very good seller.

*Adds consolegoods.co.uk to bookmarks*
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Now to find a good CRT...

I got lucky on ebay a few years back and got one of the last B&O CRT's ever made. Frikking amazing TV. £40.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Now to find a good CRT...
    I got lucky on ebay a few years back and got one of the last B&O CRT's ever made. Frikking amazing TV. £40.

Living in N.Ireland I find it tougher to source one. There are currently several B&Os available on eBay but they are all in GB and require collection.  A road trip would be fun but also a bit of a time & money sink. I'm happy with my current CRT but every so often I get some minor interference on it which goes away after a few minutes after warming up but I'd be a lot happier if I had a backup.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I've been on the lookout for a preview (PVM) or broadcast (BVM) monitor for an age now and none pop up near me and due to their weight they are impractical to post. I've got some friends who work behind the scenes at media city on the scav for me but so far no luck.

Just won a Gunbird 2 auction for the Dreamcast, it's not cheap anymore but was willing to pay £40 which is what I ended up paying. Gets good reviews so looking forward to having a blast.

Now only missing PAL big hitters of Rez and Cannon Spike which seem now to be north of £100 but still need a lot of dross if I want the full collection.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PVMs/BVMs are usually small which puts me off somewhat. The image is supposed to be superb though. There are supposed to larger ones but they are rare. Not sure how you connect to one either - it appears to be component or some other method.

I've had DC Gunbird 2 for ages and it's one of my favourites. Excellent game but it's pretty tough. There are 3 display options - the best being TATE in which it looks gorgeous. I rotate my CRT for it. Unfortunately it is one game that doesn't work with VGA (at least that's the case with the PAL version). I have a rotatable monitor and thought it would be prefect using the VGA - but not to be. Using a boot disc forces it work in VGA but it glitches :(

Anyhow - it looks great in RGB SCART so no great loss.

The DC port has an exclusive extra character (accessible at the character select screen easily - think you just move the character highlight beyond the last character). It also has a very nice single player 2 character mode that lets you play with 2 characters that tag team with each life loss. It gives you 4 lives - 2 for each character and is fun to play. It also lets you see the 2 player story (as nonsensical as it is). It's a really tough game as I say but the options let you tame that. I've been able to 1CC the game but at the lower levels.

There's a 2nd loop but I can't remember how it is activated - hard to do - and the 2nd loop itself is legendary in shmup circles as to its difficulty.

The different characters play very differently and really adds to the play value. There's 4 different attacks (inc. bombs) with each too , some of which are linked to a power up meter - so lots of fun experimenting with those.  As is usual with Psikyo games The order of the first 3 or 4 levels varies at random - so adding more to replay value.

Great game for score chasing too - there's gold coin pickup chaining which is really tough to get right - you have to touch the coin JUST has it glints for bigger scores -  and each level has a hidden "gem head" to find.

Lucky enough to have picked this up at a sensible price in early 00's along with Cannon Spike and Rez.  But £40 is a good price - if you like shmups you will love it. At first I admit that I found it a bit humdrum - but spend any time with it and its charms soon reveal themselves. It has a very nice 3D pixel art look to it and an enjoyable soundtrack.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can't make that out - what's the game?
  • It's the VF Remix he bought pre Saturn.  I never played that one, I can't even remember when it turned up off the top of my head, can't have been long before the VFII port.  Looked like a nice update in mags, albeit maybe something that should have been the initial product, rather than the slight bodge of VF1.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had that (PAL version) for a while before my clearout. It looked quite nice as far as I remember but I got rid of it since I have PAL and JPN versions of VF2 (!)

the version I had came in a double disc case - the 2nd disc had some sort of gallery on it.  I think the JP version doesn't have a gallery disc but there's a separate gallery disc for each character sold individually. Real collector fodder right there!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Just won a Gunbird 2 auction for the Dreamcast, it's not cheap anymore but was willing to pay £40 which is what I ended up paying. Now only missing PAL big hitters of Rez and Cannon Spike which seem now to be north of £100 but still need a lot of dross if I want the full collection.

That's a bargain for Gunbird 2. I've seen Rez in places like CEX for £70, so if you're willing to wait, you can avoid the scalpers.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah I have that vf remix. A good place to start
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LabG5Bv_d.jpg It begins.

That an AR cart with the game?  You can be clever with that by looking at regional price variation when checking out games. For example Saturn Bomberman is expensive in US and PAL but reasonable in JPN. Might sound obvious but Saturn game proces vary quite a bit across regions. Speaking of which check out the Saturn Bomberman themed muti-tap for Saturn. Lovely item. On my wish list.
  • I'll be getting an NTSC-J Saturn, and most of the games will be NTSC-J.

Most fighting games have English menus anyway.

Any text heavy games will be NTSC-U.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.

If you are into fighting games you'll enjoy the Saturn that's for sure.

I have these:

VF2 (JP & PAL)
    Fighters Megamix (JP & PAL)
    Xmen v Streetfighter (JP only - needs 4MB or AR)
    Marvel Super Heroes v Streetfighter (ditto)
    Nightwarriors : Darkstalkers Revenge (US)

These are all splendid - but Xmen V SF is probably the pick of the bunch for me - but if you are into the genre then you will probably think differently.

I used to have SFA2 (PAL) which was gorgeous - and might go for a JP version

Used to have Marvel Super Heroes and Xman : COTA - both PAL - nice games but I'm not into the genre enough to hold onto them - sold them

Used to have VF Kids which looked lovely but I never really spent any time with it. A bit of a curio.

I'd like SFA3 (JP only, 4MB/AR) but it is expensive. I have SFA Anthology for PS2 so hard to justify even if the Saturn version is still considered definitive.

I'd also like Vampire Saviour (JP only 4MB/AR) followup to Nightwarriors and seems to be a affordable

Last Bronx looks great too.

There's a pile of others that you might be aware of if you are into the genre.

Re controllers - there are 2 different pads. The smaller version is superior as far as I'm concerned.

There this one which you don't see as often - I think it was released in the West first but was replaced with the better JP release one:
    standard.JPG

This is the better one imo They will come in different colours but they all have this same shape:
    saturn-control-pad-2nd-gen-2kpy-800.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If sticks are your thing there are a few options. There's the PAL and US version of the Virtua Stick which has a pretty bad rep. It's cheap but if you are into sticks you probably won't like it.  It comes in an all black trim or in grey and blue.

The one to look out for is the JP only HSS-0136 stick - also called the Virtua stick but is very different looking. You will probably be a lot happier with this one. The one I have has an ascii stick but some have a better sanwa one - think it's pot luck. If you are hardcore you could probably mod it.  Not cheap though sometimes you will find it reasonably priced. I got mine for less than £40 but the stick felt pretty grotty. I few spots of 3in1 oil sorted that though - it's silky now! :)
    d1683e4f36dc67a9144e5e0475e0e902.jpg

If you want to spend more money there's the awesome looking Astro City 2 player stick.
    2c1bXDm.jpg
  • I'll be modding an old HRAP with an MC-CUTHULU.

Though fuck me that Astro City is a thing of beauty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I have a weird selection of Saturn games that I grabbed in Japan, some that were like 1¥ (srsly) so it's a hotchpotch, but I did also try to grab some goodun.
    DC6zcyV.jpg

Of that chaos, here are the ones from my collection that I would actually recommend. Bear in mind I am a fightman fan tho.

milndkk.jpg
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    No shmups on the 2nd best shmup system ever. Oh the shame.
  • The Virtual On port is under appreciated imo.  The drop off from the arcade is more than understandable, and it works very well with a pad once you get the hang of it.  Quite a tactical two player game too with things like bomb blasts that can't be fired though, full kudos for the workable split screen mode.  

Not in Reg's pic, but Last Bronx was another port that looked wonderful.  High res characters and a couple of stages with 3D walls.  Pick the right characters and it's a good game too.

I was massively into my Saturn, probably my most obsessive period, full Segaboi.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

Recommend me some
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can't believe I forgot about these two bangers

PyUqpAx.jpg
  • Bummer about Gunbird not being VGA compatible I'll have to get behind my set up and get my wires out which is a massive bummer. I was hoping my projector could flip the screen through 90 too but a play last night confirms 180 or mirrored.

CEX is a good shout swirl. I may trade in my old Sony Z5 phone and see what I get in-store credit.

Can recommend Sunsofts Galaxy fight and it's sort of sequel waku waku 7 for decent alternative fightmans on the Saturn. Galaxy fight has decent mechanics and eternally scrolling arenas. Waku waku 7 though is a beut, one of the best visually on the system and its great fun, huge sprites and fancy dan moves all over the shop.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Recommend me some

A lot of Saturn shmups are every expensive now (like Batsugun) but DonPachi & DoDonPachi are still affordable and the latter is an all time great.

For something quirky and very Japanese, The Game Paradise is both fun and suitably mental.

For something unique, try Kingdom Grand Prix, a combination of a shmup and a racer that is pretty cool.

Fairly good guide here: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega-saturn-shmups-2d-shooters
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Virtual On port is under appreciated imo.  The drop off from the arcade is more than understandable, and it works very well with a pad once you get the hang of it.  Quite a tactical two player game too with things like bomb blasts that can't be fired though, full kudos for the workable split screen mode.  

Not in Reg's pic, but Last Bronx was another port that looked wonderful.  High res characters and a couple of stages with 3D walls.  Pick the right characters and it's a good game too.

I was massively into my Saturn, probably my most obsessive period, full Segaboi.

The Japanese version of Last Bronx is a lovely 2 disc edition.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I second banana's recommendations.

Other Saturn shmups that might not cost too much:

Layer Section - best old school shooter around. Still makes shmups.com top 25 poll every year. Looks spectacular in TATE mode.

Darius Gaiden - only Darius game worth playing - glorious looking thing with a full on Zuntata soundtrack which has opera singing at one point!

Fantasy Zone (Sega Ages series) - beautiful, arcade perfect port. Some nice extras inc. a version of the soundtrack with Japanese lyrics (and a karaoke option!).

Pay a bit more for :
    Soukyugarentai - quite superb game that I haven't spent anywhere near enough time with. Your ship has a web that is used to seek out craft for your homing missiles - different ships having different webs. Go for the re-release which fixes a bug if your JP console is set to English. It also has the 1st level of Battle Garegga as a bonus item.

The Parodius series got released on Saturn - each one is great - the first one (Deluxe Pack) has 2 games on it so is better value but Oshaberi and Sexy are both superb games. Oshaberi in particular is stoked with extra content such as an arrange mode and hidden fairy side quests.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Bummer about Gunbird not being VGA compatible I'll have to get behind my set up and get my wires out which is a massive bummer. I was hoping my projector could flip the screen through 90 too but a play last night confirms 180 or mirrored.

That is a bummer - what alternative DC cable have you for that will work with the project? It will still look pretty good I reckon. Maybe try for s-video? It's a bigger deal not being able to rotate the image - surprised the projector doesn't let you do that as I thought that was a standard feature - has been in every one I've tinkered with and I've messed about with some old ones. :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!