Retro Gaming
  • Is hakchi the best way to put Megadrive games on a SNES mini?

That's what I hear, though I've only read little about it.

Does anyone know what good choices for a GBA flash cart are, at the moment? I've been looking at the EZFlash Reform (here) which seems to cover all the basis, but I've only looked into this a little.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Finally got my wireless SNES pad working with my SNES mini via the 8bitdo retro receiver. A quick [insert search engine of choice here]ing and trawling through Reddit threads, I discovered that you need to update the receiver's firmware and start the pad in Android mode.

Simplicity itself.  :P
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Cool, least you got it working now.

I've been thinking of getting one myself for the Wii/U/Switch/PS3/4.

Does it work for original SNES HW?

Also, how's the build quality.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • They are very very nice. Solid.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, pretty damn good all told. I'd describe it as "top tier third party", but you can tell 8bitdo don't have the resources of a Sony or Nintendo. Think of it as Hori stuff, but without the platform owner's permission.

You can definitely get pads that work with the OG SNES via a dedicated dongle. 8bitdo worked with Analogue to make wireless pads for the Super Nt, so they must work with original hardware.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Didn't know there was such a thing for GBA.  Can you keep us updated with your findings please, would be interested in one myself.
  • Was replying to AJ, somehow missed all the other posts.
  • I wouldn't mind picking something like that up too. I did buy a similar thing years ago to use in the GBA slot on my DS but could never get it to work properly. Think it would boot games but couldn't save or something.
  • My long awaited Gamecube HDMI adapter (this one) has turned up. Seems to work fine so far. I was using an RGB scart cable before and the difference is noticeable but not huge, everything is a bit sharper and brighter. I've not tested out the Gameboy Player with it yet which is where the change is supposed to be more noticeable. I also need to find a compatible tv remote control to get the on screen settings menu working.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mal0wner wrote:
    My long awaited Gamecube HDMI adapter (this one) has turned up. Seems to work fine so far. I was using an RGB scart cable before and the difference is noticeable but not huge, everything is a bit sharper and brighter. I've not tested out the Gameboy Player with it yet which is where the change is supposed to be more noticeable. I also need to find a compatible tv remote control to get the on screen settings menu working.

Colour me interested. I currently either play GC games on the Wii via component or via RGB SCART and a nice CRT. The CRT setup is especially pleasing but the Wii does a pretty good job too especially on those import games like US-NTSC Ikaruga that support 480p.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • If I had the space for a decent CRT I would still be happily using that for the Gamecube. I'm not sure if the adapter is worth the $99 + shipping considering I also have a Wii and component cable connected up.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Didn't know there was such a thing for GBA.  Can you keep us updated with your findings please, would be interested in one myself.
    weadre wrote:
    I wouldn't mind picking something like that up too. I did buy a similar thing years ago to use in the GBA slot on my DS but could never get it to work properly. Think it would boot games but couldn't save or something.

Should I buy one, I shall post my findings here. Currently trying to stave off a £350 purchase of either a phone or PSVR, so I may end up buying the flash cart purely for that reason.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mal0wner wrote:
    If I had the space for a decent CRT I would still be happily using that for the Gamecube. I'm not sure if the adapter is worth the $99 + shipping considering I also have a Wii and component cable connected up.

Yeah. Having a CRT is nice but its upstairs in my little man cave. Sometimes I'd like to sit on the sofa downstairs and play some retro. The OSSC is probably better value as it's multi-console but there are compromises with it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyone know any US-N64 import sellers?  I have a strong urge to get Dr Mario 64 for my NTSC-RGB SCART console. Trouble is it seems it was a US exclusive and it's damn expensive complete on eBay. I'd be happy going cart only and then getting repro box and getting the manual separately.

Genkivideogames and videogameimports are my usual suppliers but they haven't got much N64 wise at the minute. They tend to be JPN anyhow.
  • Talking of Super Smash TV (other thread I think), it's going to be on at SGDQ, 2 player mode.
  • Ventured into the loft and found my original Gameboy.

Found a few rechargable batteries and fired it up.  The tunes from Super Mario Land came flooding back but that screen is shocking.  I spent many happy hours on it when I was younger.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It's like trying to play multiplayer GoldenEye now. How the fuck did we cope?
  • The Game Boy Pocket had a really good screen, still possibly the best for actual outdoor use in the sun.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I progressed to a Gameboy Colour.  That's very good outside (or by a window inside).
  • Never had a Color.

Found the OG Advance to be a step back in screen quality, this was obviously fixed with the SP.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • GBA was a stupid design decision.  Practically unusable most of the time.
  • I seem to remember it working extremely well in bright sunlight, but nowhere else. Still love the design, though.
  • Minkys back lit after market GBA was a thing of beauty, does any one remember the company that did them? Was it something Rose ( that may have been the colour he chose coming to think of it!)
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Rose Colored Gaming. They don't do them anymore IIRC.

Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese GBA's with a 101 screen on eBay? I've been tempted by one for some time but concerned that they are crap.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Pretty sure Metal Jesus did a video about a pimped gba not too long ago. Better screen, speakers, battery etc. It's pretty expensive but looks great.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    GBA was a stupid design decision.  Practically unusable most of the time.
    Was a complete joke. Should've been more of a scandal really. instead i just put up with it then bought the SP as well when it came out. Sucker.

(SP was great though.)
  • zonipoi wrote:
    Rose Colored Gaming. They don't do them anymore IIRC.

That's them, cheers zonipoi, their website certificate is coming up as dodgy so it won't let me on!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • JonB wrote:
    GBA was a stupid design decision.  Practically unusable most of the time.
    Was a complete joke. Should've been more of a scandal really. instead i just put up with it then bought the SP as well when it came out. Sucker. (SP was great though.)

An angle poise lamp did me, never bothered with an SP (though I now regret that a little as I can't find a good quality one for cheap to put in my collection).
  • The SP was probably the most painful for prolonged grid tactics sessions.  It was nice to have the backlight, but the screen was poor.  The Micro is king for me, but I suppose the Minky Rose one is the ultimate form.
  • SP had the front light - don't think we got the backlight ones in the UK.  Micro had the backlight.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!