Retro Gaming
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'll put this here because of the Kururin love:

Might be a half decent spin on the basic premise.  I want it for my Vita, but probably not at £8.

Played that. It's okay, but not a patch on KKK; far less thinky. Oh, that's a poor abbreviation.
  • Okay will probably do me on the train tbh, I'm almost out of Vita games.
  • While I kinda like the Neo Geo mini MVS I do feel SNK should've gone for the AES mini. Missed opportunity as that is by far the sexiest console design ever.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Picked this up in the week:

Foy2zw6.jpg

Should come in handy for 2D games on the Wii/U, Switch and PS3/4. 

Nice bonus of working on an actual SNES too!

edit: Maybe even the Pi as well.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah, you can use it on your Pi. Also, any Android devices you have. I use mine to play SNES games on my TV.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Asteroids Deluxe mini-update.

Still loving this game. Still waiting on my original power supply & amp to be returned though. TNT are working on another Deluxe and will test it in that before returning it to me.

So I still have some sound distortion on the explosion sounds which according to some is explained as my replacement isn't 100% compatible. I usually have the volume turned down quite a bit so it isn't that big a deal - but I'd like it sorted. Had a few mates over the few weeks back and it was a hit with a couple of them - memories flooding back for them. :)  We were a bit drunk though so games didn't last (they don't last when sober either - still only 1 game over 40K).

The display vertical size started twitching a bit and I twiddled the height pot and it fixed it - but it has returned a couple of times since. Bit of a niggle. Maybe that's just the way it is with this old tech.  :/

I still have the back off - so maybe I should refit that which will cut down on dust (though it is on a tiled floor) and maintain a more steady temperature which can mess with adjustable pots (it is in my hall).

I'm also wondering if the chip I swapped out is actually OK - toying with swapping it back in again. It being an earlier version of the chip it may have been more sensitive to the low voltage the dodgy power supply was feeding it.

I'm still glad I have this - but I can see me maybe offloading it in a few years if I can. It depends on how temperamental it will be as I'm not one for tinkering - I just want something I can rely on. 

The main issue though is the size of the thing and the fact I only really have one spot for it. I think if I could have it somewhere not quite as visible it would be more agreeable. It's still a splendid looking thing though in my abode. I consider it a privilege to own a vector game and this is still one of my all time favourite games - it really is quite superb and it's a pity that this seems to be the only way to experience it properly.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Asteroids Dx update - supplemental:

Original power supply & amp repaired, tested & now in the post.

:)

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I bet that costs a pretty penny.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Postage has been cheap - about £18 each way. TNT repaired it for free under warranty so not too bad.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Horizon Chase Turbo is out on PS4 today, a spiritual homage to Outrun apparently.

Would love to try it but Ive seen someone on Instagram with a physical copy, just cant figure out where from.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I don't think so. A quick google suggests it was released on disc through Sony in Brazil, but nowhere else.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Balls. Don’t know anyone in Brazil.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Pick an address off Google Earth. Send them a letter. What's the worst that could happen?
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Just saw one pop up on eBay, £59 inc postage. Fuck that!
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Pick an address off Google Earth. Send them a letter. What's the worst that could happen?

This has potential.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Asteroids Dx update.

Repaired board arrived today. Switched it in and......perfect!

That gorgeous deep bass of the explosions and ship thrust is back! Delighted!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Will run it for a week and then I'm thinking of doing a detailed write up of this if all is well. Will submit it to Retro Gamer or similar.

Hats off to TNT for sorting me out. You only really get to gauge the quality of someone when things go wrong and you see how they respond.
  • Must be extra satisfying after making do/becoming accustomed to the not-quite-right version. Hopefully you can just enjoy the game now, the unfortunate series of events would've driven me mad.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Too right.....

It sounds so much better it really does make a difference. I was starting to doubt myself - thinking that I was perhaps imagining a difference - but I'm glad I hung in there.

As you say - here's hoping to a hassle free spell with it now!

The replacement isn't my original board repaired - it's a different one - but it has the same layout and components as the original (I took pictures). So maybe that one was a right off (or they just repaired it and put in the Dx they were working on - who knows?).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Shooting asteroids creates different sounds depending on their size...the bigger they are the deeper the tone.

Little touches like that are just tremendous.
  • A console modder is taking broken DS units and making them into a new form of GBA.
    I like this a lot, certainly beats adding to landfill.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/05/21/broken-nintendo-handhelds-turned-into-beautiful-game-boys
  • One man's ugly is another's beautiful, I guess.
  • I just like the ingenuity of it, rather than binning them he has repurposed them.
    Also seems like the most comfortable way to play GBA.
  • I guess it's good that they're not being binned. I really don't think a neon light above the screen is going to be comfortable and, even without that, a modded OG GBA is going to be a superior option; the DS was notoriously painful to hold.
  • Yeah, modded OG GBA is prob better, I just mentally write them off because the stock screen is so bad.
  • If they are modding lites then keep away. Dpad on those is shocking.

Original ds was supposed to be good but I’ve never used one.
  • Stick a lava lamp on one and I'm in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My daughters have the first revision DSes which are a bit slimmer than the original. I found it a pleasing thing to use.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!