Retro Gaming
  • Anyone looking to mod old sticks so that they can work on just about every retro console, the MC Cthulhu is back in stock finally.

https://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/home/electrical/control-pcbs/fgc-console-joystick/1828_toodles-mc-cthulhu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice. I've a few sticks now. One for Ps1&2, one for Saturn, one for DC and one for 360.
    Have also the Tatsunoko stick for the Wii. 

Have a classic linker that lets me use PS stick with Gamecube too.

I can use the 360 stick with MAME but it's joysticks a-go-go at my house.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Just ordered a game I've been mulling over for ages. JPN version of Sega Ages : Outrun for Saturn. I've taken my time because there are 2 versions of this - I need the one that runs on the Mk2 (white) console. It's the later revision. Couldn't find a seller who knew what I was talking about up until now. it was usually a language barrier with questions in the main - at least going by the answers I was getting. This buyer is a Brit in Japan so comms are good. 
    So Outrun arrived today and it doesn't bloody work. The guy sent me the wrong version. I specifically asked for the revised version that works on mk2 consoles. I asked him to check the code on the inner ring of the disc. He obviously didn't bother. What a unnecessary pain in the arse.

Guy has offered me a mk1 Saturn for price of postage only $40. Might do that.

Sod it - ordered the mk1 saturn. WIll be nice to have a backup for my white. And for £30 delivered it's a great price. Will take a while to arrive though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    As pick up lines go, "I bought a MK1 Saturn to back up my white one" is a stonker. If she reacts positively to that, propose. There and then.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

Turns out I can get one from a UK seller with no cables or pads for about the same price and will have it within a week so spoke to the guy and he is OK with me doing that instead. It's less hassle for him and I just keep the game he sold me.

It also means I can have it setup with the AR permanently for playing 4MB, US or PAL games at 60Hz without switching cartridges which I don't like doing.

My wife is a keeper. She tolerates an arcade cabinet in the house so this isn't that much of a stretch.
  • The Britannia pub in Monument has SF2 on freeplay. If you download an app called Drinki you can get a free pint every day. (log in with FB). 

SF2 on freeplay and it's not set to level 7 either. More like 4-5 so it's do able.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I should probably have put this in here really. Copy/pasting from the Ask thread:
    poprock wrote:
    Are OG Gameboys worth anything nowadays? Unearthed a mint one in full working order from my Dad’s attic. All the original accessories (link cable, Nintendo earbuds) and a hard plastic carry case. Bunch o’ games too.

Tetris (obviously) and Race Drivin’ (Hard Drivin’ 2) unboxed, plus Pinball Dreams, Othello, and Krusty’s Fun House boxed with instructions etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is it boxed? A guy in work recently sold an original GB box - nothing in it - for £60.
  • Damn. Not boxed, no. Three of the games are.

The Gameboy does have Nintendo UK’s import sticker on the back though, with their office address. Bit faded, but still there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The boxed games may be worth more than everything else - depends on which ones they are. I reckon GB game boxes are least as rare as NES and SNES ones - probably more so.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like the look of this.

http://retroelectronik.com/en/supergun/145-supergun-progamer-arcade-jamma-autofirevoltmeter-included-5674864654514.html

Starting to think about a self made JAMMA cabinet for my man cave to supplement by dedicated classic downstairs. Cabinets are Ikea style self assembly now.

Might need to wise up and think of going MAME instead. I should really just wipe my ageing PC and put a old build of Windows 7 on it as a dedicated MAME machine  and stick it in a self assembly cabinet. My poor old PC is getting wrecked by Windows 10.
  • I would love to do this and whilst I have no doubt I could probably get one knocked up, I know my detailing would let me down and I would always be disappointed with myself.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Anything i would build would look like crap. If there was a self assembly solution with a finish already on it I'd be more inclined.

What actually would be more feasible , and arguably better, would be to put it in a small format casing of some description and build it like a console.
  • Davy might appreciate this. Stumbled on a cool wee arcade bar while in Toronto, the kind full of cabs and pinball machines where you pay a couple of dollars to get in and everything's free to play.

One of these old-school arcade savants was in there too, 40-something years old and just racking up high scores on all the pinball games. After a while I noticed a crowd of about 30 folk had stopped playing just to watch his seemingly endless run on a physical ball game called Ice Cold Beer, which I wasn't familiar with.

9Hcyvt0.jpg

It was a bit like those labyrinth marble games where you have to balance a ball into particular holes in each round. Had a go myself once he'd finally smashed the high score and gotten bored, and I could barely get past the first couple.

No real story here, just thought it was a cool thing to see!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ice Cold Beer is pretty popular in arcade collecting circles. Have never played it sadly.

Lools like a Baby Pacman beside it which is a video game / pinball hybrid. That arcade owner must be quite the collector.
  • Found the place again, goes by the name of Tilt. Had forgotten thanks to the strength of their tap beer selection. Great fun, and a nice wee collection of machines. Even had some sofas and old consoles hooked up: managed to cane a couple of guys at OG Smash Bros.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.   A bar-cade setup sounds great. Probably the only way you could keep any sort of video game arcade going now.

None in Belfast so far - though there's a small indie game shop owner who has some machines and is trying to get a small arcade going on the side.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Barcades popping up everywhere. Salt Lake had 3 when I was over in February, Vegas is swimming in them,and Glasgow has the mighty Super Bario which has an outstanding collection.
  • There are a couple in Glasgow now, but all about a tenth of the size of that Toronto one, barely a handful of machines to play so difficult to get a shot on anything. Would love to see them grow a bit though.

@Reg let's hit up Super Bario when you're next in town buddy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My dude I am literally on holiday for the next 6 weeks. Pick a time
  • I have still never been to Super Bario. I should remedy that.
  • regmcfly wrote:

I can do this weekend or the following Friday, then I'm off to sunny French Canada for the week and afterwards Edinburgh festivals start biting at my heels.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'd not heard about Super Bario, but now it's above Tokyo on my list of places to visit.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

I can do this weekend or the following Friday, then I'm off to sunny French Canada for the week and afterwards Edinburgh festivals start biting at my heels.

Eeeeekkk could see about tomorrow afternoon? When u away I'm in Rome
  • Reg, if you do make it through here tomorrow give me a shout. I’ve a copy of AssCreed for you.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Waiting on a Kazzy day
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Like that Springsteen song
  • Argh, missed this my dude, just out of a family lunch. Sorry.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We got it. 4pee em
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Me elm and Kaz are all descending on arcade town now

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!