Retro Gaming
  • Picked this up in the week: Foy2zw6.jpg

Should come in handy for 2D games on the Wii/U, Switch and PS3/4. 

Nice bonus of working on an actual SNES too!

edit: Maybe even the Pi as well.

So I finally got around to setting this up.

Piece of piss with the Switch, haven't tried it on the SNES or Wii yet.

But how the fuck do you get it to work with the PS3/4?

I think you need an adaptor.
  • FFS

amazon advertised that lot as the complete package, and I know I got ripped of in a moment of drunken weakness.

Does anyone know what I need?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Apparently there's a thing called Titan Two that'll do it, but that's £50. Might be other stuff available, but 8Bitdo certainly don't do anything.
  • Well balls.

The main reason I got it was for Street Fighter V, everything else was a bonus.

Oh well.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Being Amazon, you could always return it, if you don't want it now you've realised.
  • Tbh I'm quite happy to have it as a secondary/retro pad to compliment the Pro for my Switch.

Kinda regret the additonal adapters though. Wires have never bothered me so I doubt I'll ever use it for the SNES/Wii.

Like i said it was purchased in a drunken state of weakness, the bastard is they came in blister packaging.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So I can't get it to work on the Wii U via the Wiimote.

I've followed the instructions and paired them to the point where they both go solid blue but still nothing.

Anyone tried this? Its the same adapter to use it with the NES/SNES mini consoles.

Gonna have to get the SNES out at the weekend and test that one now.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Does anyone know what I need?

I might be wrong, but the pad you have there should Just Work (TM) with a PS4. It works with the Switch, right? It's just a generic bluetooth pad with SNES stylings, AFAIK you don't need another adapter for PS4.

You may need to update the drivers for the pad and/or the adapters, though. My pad worked with my Switch no problem, but not with the SNES mini via the adapter you have on the left. The solution was two-fold: update the drivers for the pad and the adapter, then start the pad in the correct mode. Check the 8Bitdo website for the drivers (it's a simple drag and drop operation when you have them), and the instructions in the box for start up mode. (I.e., you have to hold down X/Y/another button when you turn on the pad to get it to work with different host hardware.)

Once you've sorted out the drivers and the pad mode, the following should all work.

Pad -> Wiimote connection adapter -> SNES mini
    Pad -> SNES connection adapter -> OG SNES
    Pad -> Switch
    Pad -> PS4
    Pad -> Windows computer
    Pad -> Android device
    Pad -> Pi (assuming you have a bluetooth Pi)

I'm not sure about
    Pad -> Wiimote adapter -> Wiimote -> Wii or Wii U
    but I think it should work, but you may not be able to notice anything until after you've started a game. As you've got no analogue sticks, you won't be able to move the hand around on the Wii(U) interface, so it might appear broken. Use the Wiimote itself to start something. Once the actual game starts, though, it should be fine.

AFAIK the only thing your pad won't work with, adapter or not, is an Xbox, as Microsoft use their own version of bluetooth or something like that. (A bit like how the original Xbox controller ports were USB, but Microsoft redesigned the shape of them to stop you using generic USB pads.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Updating the pad firmware is a good idea. I couldn't find any mention of anyone having the thing working with a PS4 or Bone when I had a search, though. I'm not entirely convinced the DS4 -> PS4 connection is entirely standard Bluetooth, either.
  • No, it can't be, otherwise I'd have bought one of those new 'Bone controller, which will work with standard Bluetooth, to use with it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I may be entirely wrong about the PS4, I admit.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It's like to find out you're wrong and I can use a Bone controller with it. In fact, I'm going to check if I can now.
  • No, Internet says you have to buy a third party adaptor.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'll get me coat.
  • What is annoying is how hard it is to find information about using generic Bluetooth controllers with the PS4. Search results are all muddied by people using PS4 controllers on PC.
  • I think I'll cut my losses and sell the adapters on ebay.

I have a wired adaper for official pads for my Pi and two SNES mini pads for Wii motes.

Teach me to shop drunk.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • In other news 8 Bitdo announced more pads at E3 including a 6 button Mega Drive variant for those that like it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Very good MD article and supplement in this month's Retro Gamer.  They're offering an 8 bitdo SNES pad as an incentive to sign up for a 6 month sub, if anyone's interested.
  • FFS!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm not even trolling, there's a double page spread.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just ordered a game I've been mulling over for ages.

JPN version of Sega Ages : Outrun for Saturn.

I've taken my time because there are 2 versions of this - I need the one that runs on the Mk2 (white) console. It's the later revision. Couldn't find a seller who knew what I was talking about up until now. it was usually a language barrier with questions in the main - at least going by the answers I was getting. This buyer is a Brit in Japan so comms are good.

Could be looking to offload my PAL Sega Ages Vol.1 (Outrun, Space Harrier , Afterburner II on one disc). It's in the rigid DVD style case and manual. All in really nice condition.

This game didn't get a great PAL conversion - it was adjusted for PAL but not all that well from what I read. The timers are wrong etc. The games play fine as far as I can see but for those who know the games well they will feel off.   It has borders too. I've played the game on my NTSC console using the AR cart and it plays fine at 60Hz but the speed adjustment means it runs a bit too fast (again - stated by those who know the games very well).

The JP version of Sega Ages is 1 game per disc. So Outrun only on the disc I'm getting but it has a remix option on the soundtrack and a super smooth 60Hz mode (the original arcade game runs at 30fps). I'm not that fussed about Afterburner as I don't get on with it but I may end up getting the JP version of Space Harrier.

This is just another step in me upgrading my PAL collection to NTSC where appropriate.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Talking about Retro Gamer, a couple of issues ago had a Commodore 64 poster and C64 chiptunes CD. Free to a good badger or they'll be recycled.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's the one.  It goes for decent money. Around £40 with postage. With Saturn that's becoming a reasonable price...

I've a couple of Sega Ages games that were JP only - both still relatively cheap:

Fantasy Zone - lovely arcade port. Hori shooter that looks cute but is murderously tough. Every setting in the option mode (which you have to unlock one-at-a-time) is there to make the game easier!

Columns Arcade Collection - 4 different columns games. Some excellent presentation and it unlocks bonus content as you play. Stacks Columns is probably the best of the bunch though it plays better as 2p.

There's Space Harrier which I might pick up at some point and Galaxy Force 2 which looks decent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Just ordered a game I've been mulling over for ages. JPN version of Sega Ages : Outrun for Saturn. I've taken my time because there are 2 versions of this - I need the one that runs on the Mk2 (white) console. It's the later revision. Couldn't find a seller who knew what I was talking about up until now. it was usually a language barrier with questions in the main - at least going by the answers I was getting. This buyer is a Brit in Japan so comms are good. 

So Outrun arrived today and it doesn't bloody work. The guy sent me the wrong version. I specifically asked for the revised version that works on mk2 consoles. I asked him to check the code on the inner ring of the disc. He obviously didn't bother.

What a unnecessary pain in the arse.
  • Super Smash TV on GDQ: 06:05:41

(hope the video link works)
  • Before that, there's a great bit of a guy sitting on his own, playing what looks like a Vita.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Just ordered a game I've been mulling over for ages. JPN version of Sega Ages : Outrun for Saturn. I've taken my time because there are 2 versions of this - I need the one that runs on the Mk2 (white) console. It's the later revision. Couldn't find a seller who knew what I was talking about up until now. it was usually a language barrier with questions in the main - at least going by the answers I was getting. This buyer is a Brit in Japan so comms are good. 
    So Outrun arrived today and it doesn't bloody work. The guy sent me the wrong version. I specifically asked for the revised version that works on mk2 consoles. I asked him to check the code on the inner ring of the disc. He obviously didn't bother. What a unnecessary pain in the arse.

Guy has offered me a mk1 Saturn for price of postage only $40. Might do that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!