Retro Gaming
  • Nina wrote:
    DEHMuLG.jpg Someone's being an ace person and searched for a Micro and Panel De Pon while in Japan! Loving it, I think Panel De Pon might be my favourite puzzle game, together with Tetris. It plays great on the Micro too. Now I just need to find or make a small case /pouch so I can easily carry it everywhere. Now the actual game collecting can begin, met someone at a retro game swap a few weeks ago who occasionally has Japanese GBA games, hopefully he'll have a Kuru Kuru Kururin at some point. That plus Wario Ware will be my Japanese trio I think, should be easy to play without being able to read the text.

Kuru Kuru Kururin and Wario Ware are both in contention for the best handheld game ever award.  Along with two or three other GBA games.  Lovely stuff, I don't think there's another console that makes me grin just looking at it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The Kuru titles are purest gameplay mixed with a healthy dollop of wimsy, and come fully Blue Swirl Approved.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Final tests on lag:

Raman Legends on PS4 gives 4 frames of lag on my monitor using my testing approach.

PC games:

Shovel Knight vsync off - 3.6 frames
    Shovel Knight vsync on - 3 frames (maybe got these two swapped as vsync off should be better)
    Steamworld Dig 2 - 3.4 frames
    Rayman Origins - 3.1 frames

Thumper set to run at 120fps - 2 frames (32/34 ms). Go PC master race.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is what you need Nina...

F9ojU0f.jpg
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Haha, looks about right! I don't have the micro boxed though, guess that would only increase the price and I'm trying to be as sensible as possible with money.

Was really hard deciding between purple and blue, but the choice was easy in the end as there was only the purple one available. Or limited editions, but I don't care for those that much.

It actually feels so nice that you turn on the console, and it's straight to the game start screen.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got a whack more games, I'm far too obsessed with the JP boxes, but yeah, those four, and then also get the Mickey's magical quest platformer because then you are basically saying "yes this is a SNES"
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Already opened and closed ebay very quickly...

I do love the Japanese boxes, so what I can get and actually play without knowing the language I'll buy Japanese. I'm guessing that I'll end up with a mix of EU, USA and JP boxes in the end, I'm not gonna rebuy the games I already have.

I do remember a picture of your shelf, and that's kinda what made me decide to just go for it. GBA might be my favourite handheld, it has so many classics but also a good amount of original games. It's almost too much.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The two metroid games obv are great. I think Fusion is naturally in English even on the JP version too
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Two more votes for the Metroid GBA titles.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Am I correct in thinking GBA carts don't have the same battery issues as the SNES?  In that they don't use them?
  • I think they do, but I'm not 100% sure.  I know some dodgy carts won't save, so I assume they're supposed to have batteries.
  • Bugger. Think I need to get Zero Mission but I’m not risking it if the battery is going to die - same reason I’m not getting Super Metroid.
  • Yeah they, do.
    It is one of a few ways of spotting fake Pokemon games as they have semi-transparent cases and are easily the most faked games.

I guess battery tech just improved a lot in between the two.
  • Pretty sure they use standard button batteries that can be replaced, if you really want the original carts.
  • Googling seems to indicate Fusion doesn’t have a battery (yay) but Zero does (boo).

Which seems odd as Zero came out later than Fusion.
  • Just checked. Both GBA and SNES cart batteries are replaceable without too much effort.

In other news, there's a new (possibly the last from this manufacturer) version of that GBA flash cart. It supports GBA, GB, GBC and, surprisingly, NES games (almost certainly via emulation, like those DS carts that support GBA games). Bit of a bargain for £35, if you ask me. Think I'll grab one when I can be arsed to pick between all the random Chinese sellers on eBay.

http://www.ezflash.cn/product/omega/
  • Looking into full ROM set sizes, it may well be possible to fit all Game Boy games in existence onto a single SD card and whack it in that, too. That'd be pretty fucking awesome.
  • Cool. My next question was going to be if flash carts are a thing.
  • Reading up some more, it looks like the GB/GBC support on those is via emulation, too, so might not have great results. Still, all the GBA games (or all the decent/interesting ones, at least) on a single cart would still be awesome.
  • Flash cart research update:

The Omega currently drains the GBA battery at around 1.8x the speed of a normal cart. It might improve in the future, through firmware updates, but it's not ideal.

The battery in the cart (which probably just runs the clock and isn't needed for saves) is soldered to the board and so a bit of a hassle to replace.

Might wait a bit and see what developments there are before buying one.
  • What GBA model do you have/want AJ?
  • Opened my GBA carts:

4k/64k eeprom:
    - Minish Cap
    - Gradius Advance
    - A Link to the Past

Battery backed 256k sram:
    - Fusion

The one game I can happily revisit every few years is the one that is going to die.  FFS!
  • That's weird, Minish Cap was definitely one of the dodgy carts I bought on Ebay that wouldn't save.  Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland and Donkey Kong Country 2 were the other two, both of which I've never played properly since, even though they're both on my Pi, presumably because I'm still sulking.
  • Both sram and fram versions exist: Picco

If you go to the parent folder you can see other carts.

So there is a fram version of ZM as well.

EDIT: Pic2 has Kirby - battery in this example
  • What GBA model do you have/want AJ?

I have an original, white one, which I bought near to launch, and a silver Micro, which I bought from Chump (IIRC). I want an SP in good nick with decent battery and screen. There's the DS Lite which gets used for GBA stuff ever so occasionally, too.
  • Pity the DSLite dpad sucks so much.  I gave up trying to play Fusion when I had mine.

The irony of them giving the DSi a decent dpad but removing the ability to play GBA games.
  • Been into town this afternoon and had a look in ye olde second hand shoppe. No gba metroids to be found (wasn’t really expecting any) but I did see a micro in the flesh. They are tiny and not sure I’d be able to read anything on the screen.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That Panel de Pan /Dr Mario combo looks great.  I'm quite the Dr. Mario fan.

Re Kururuin - check out the JP only version for Gamecube. Lovely.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Readability isn't needed when buying Japanese games. But honestly, I haven't found it to be a problem so far, think it's supposed to have the best screen, and it looks really good.
    I'm loving it so far, it boots super quickly, and then it only takes a couple seconds to start the game. Which is perfect if you just want to have a quick 15 minute game.

@Davy, not really given Dr Mario a chance, it feels a bit slow and for some reason I always end up with the pills rotated wrong. Might need some practice for that one, but Panel De Pon is just too good.

I've been wanting a good puzzle handheld game for a while now. Tetris Ultimate (I think, it's by ubisoft) on the 3DS was a big disappointment (loved the DS version, must have that one still at my mom's place). I bought a Bubble Bobble DS game, which is ok but playing endless just goes on for too long without actually getting harder, it also looks a bit blurry. Tried Puzzle Quest DS, I loved that game one the 360 but it feels a bit slow on the 3DS.

I only played a bit of Panel De Pon years ago, when B had his Snes with a rom loader hooked up. Remember it as the only game my mom ever wanted to try, and how disgusted she was with herself when she realized how much time has passed playing a game.

It's probably my favourite along with (a good version of) Tetris. I'm still hoping for the switch Tetris /Puyo combo to drop in price at some point.
  • I'll put this here because of the Kururin love:

Might be a half decent spin on the basic premise.  I want it for my Vita, but probably not at £8.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!