Retro Gaming
  • I only just saw this and am in An Pub in the West End, far far away from you lads.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ahh too late
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They sure play a mean pinball

wOCfYyx.jpg

(Baywatch and X Men)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My Mk1 JP Saturn turned up today.

The console powered up OK but the drive was DOA  :(

Opened it up and checked the ribbon cable connecting the drive. Just pressed down on the connections. Hey presto. It works. :)

Got back to the seller and will wait a couple of days before accepting it but hoping it's OK and the connection was just loosened in transit. The packaging was good but could have done with some more padding. Console looks great though.

Played a few games of the JP only version of Sega Ages: Outrun which doesn't run on my Mk2 (known issue). Lovely game and the exclusive remixed soundtrack is excellent.  :)

If this works out I'll permanently connect my AR cartridge to it so I can play Capcom 4MB versus games, US games and unoptimised PAL games at 60Hz on it. Will keep my white Saturn just for playing JP games and keep the official backup cart in that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • if you guys get a date for one in glasgow let me know I am due to go up there for a meeting or two soon
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thought I'd summarise my classic cabinet importing adventure. Retro Video Gamer website picked it up.

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/importing-a-classic-arcade-machine-into-the-uk/
  • Nice work Davy! Quite a long read in one go, but I’ll bet that piece genuinely inspires someone else to take the plunge …
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kind of what I was hoping.
  • Nice.  I'll treat myself to that later.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Thought I'd summarise my classic cabinet importing adventure. Retro Video Gamer website picked it up. http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/importing-a-classic-arcade-machine-into-the-uk/

Cool.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saturn a-go-go at my house now.  Mk2 JP, Mk1 JP, Mk1 PAL.

saturns.jpg
  • I had the MK1 PAL originally.  It spent many a month upside down until it carked it completely.  I haven't got a clue where I got my MK2 from.  I've got a terrible memory for anything that's happened recently but I could still recite cheat codes from 1992, so this is an odd hole in my retro roadmap.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My first was a mk2 PAL. It malfunctioned and I replaced it with the mk1. Then got the white - very long time ago now.

Just got the grey this week.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Saturn a-go-go at my house now.  Mk2 JP, Mk1 JP, Mk1 PAL.

Pure filth, I love it.

What's the difference between mk1 and 2?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Shape of buttons as far as I can see. Mk1s have oval shaped ones. Mk2s have round.

There are minor internal differences - Sega Ages : Outrun won't run on the mk2.

There might be a firmware revision - will check that - you get the version number on boot up.
  • Something about that Grey one stands out as the best looking for me.

Just reminds me more of the excitement surrounding that era than the others.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So strictly speaking @davyK the JPN MK2 is pointless to have? Or does it do something the others can't?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Shape of buttons as far as I can see. Mk1s have oval shaped ones. Mk2s have round. There are minor internal differences - Sega Ages : Outrun won't run on the mk2. There might be a firmware revision - will check that - you get the version number on boot up.

Now you mention it, I did know about (and can plainly see in your picture) that the buttons change. Derp.

Interesting about Outrun, wonder what they did to break that.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Couple of neat things coming out for Switch, particularly if you're interested in SNK.

40th Anniversary Collection

Not an incredibly inspiring collection of games, but if it's cheap enough will probably be worth a punt.

Pocket Rumble

If you've played any of the fighting games on the Neo Geo Pocket, this will look incredibly familiar. Aims to be an accessible-but-deep experience with a focus on clever play rather than rote memorisation of long combos (there's just two buttons involved, and no joystick motions for specials). They've even put effort into the online play with GGPO netcode. Not actually an SNK game, but clearly inspired by them, this is more exciting than the 40th Anniversary Collection (IMHO, YMMV).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So strictly speaking @davyK the JPN MK2 is pointless to have? Or does it do something the others can't?

Pretty much. It is white though. ;)  And has controllers to match.

I haven't heard of anyone claiming there is any superior build quality with any of them. I think I remember people saying the earlier mk1s were better but there's no evidence for that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Shape of buttons as far as I can see. Mk1s have oval shaped ones. Mk2s have round. There are minor internal differences - Sega Ages : Outrun won't run on the mk2. There might be a firmware revision - will check that - you get the version number on boot up.
    Now you mention it, I did know about (and can plainly see in your picture) that the buttons change. Derp. Interesting about Outrun, wonder what they did to break that.

There is a revision of Outrun that works on the mk2 but it isn't easy to identify as it has a different code on the inside ring of the disc. Must be a change to the firmware in the mk2.
  • When I ordered my region free Saturn with the 50/60hz mod, I also asked for a mod chip for potential fan translations. Console Passion answered that the mod chip can't be fitted to a Mk1 console so I had to settle for a loose Mk2 Saturn instead of a boxed Mk1. So something has to be different inside the Saturn between the models.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think there are a few revisions even within mk1s and 2s.  There seems to be several different cd drives and ways they are connected. Can be a bit of a minefield if trying to mod or replace parts.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I can imagine the Saturn is a bit of a bastard when it comes to anything regarding the internals, never mind with two revisions of the hardware knocking about.
  • Finally got round to reading your Asteroids Deluxe owner's guide Davy, an excellent read thank you for pulling that together. I bet it will help an a lot of niche people make their decision easier.

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get a Candy Cab for my 40th, they have just brought out some bespoke slim line cabs including a lovely 4 player model which is really swish if quite pricey!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cheers :)

Candy cabs do look nice.
  • Found this while having a clear out … must be nearly 30 years old now.

f7DvLXM.jpg

AraLsF8.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Very nice. Love a bit of Boulderdash. That may well be worth a few  bob with all the packaging intact.

I've always liked the idea of a game having a level editor. Could never be arsed making any though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk1 Saturn still working so I've accepted it and contacted the ebay seller.

The packaging it came in, while decent, could have done with more wrapping or some bubble wrap. I suspect that is why the connection was jolted loose. I messaged him and said that but still left +ve feedback with that comment.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Some wild pictures inbound. Went to the international video games museum today and saw...

The original master disks of doom
    ws3xOwo.jpg

Nintendo's 1970s version of the pong console

ZMzTMpl.jpg

Crytek's first demo disk from 2000 E3

XrMLWCP.jpg

An original GameCube dev unit - it took cartridges

CR7GI6O.jpg

Games dug up from the ET landfill (sadly they had loaned out their copy of ET to another museum)

wDPE6KN.jpg

Original SUDA / Grasshopper art

gkkB48j.jpg

A Sinclair C5

wzlyjMf.jpg

That was the tip of the iceberg - so much more. And og cabinets for super streetfighter 2, super hangon, space invaders, and plenty of playable things.

I had to play some Alex Kidd on a master system 2.

QUhjTtG.jpg

Incredible place

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!