Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lovely bunch of games. I had Sunset Riders (PAL) and for some reason was part of a bundle of games I gave away to my nephew and niece. I think it may have been CIB too. That wouldn't have remained so for long in their mitts. Sighs.

RType III is a great game too. I have that in PAL CIB. The box is decent though could be better but there's no way I could justify upgrading it!

I have a PAL CIB SMW which I picked up several years after getting a SNES. I remember seeing it and thinking it might be worth a few bob in the future. Not sure if the PAL version is worth a lot but I'll be hanging onto it. Unfortunately it got some PAL optimisation so won't run at 60Hz. I usually just play the VC version when the notion takes me.

I still own DKC1 (PAL CIB). I even had the CD it came with - picked it up in a clearance bin in Woolworths. Have managed to lose the CD though. Never got the chance to pick up the other two. I enjoyed the original but I hear the 2nd one is the best.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cheers guys, they weren't cheap.

I sold a lot of NES, SNES and N64 games to fund it though.

Trying to just get a collection of quality games for SNES really. So I sold things like DOOM, even though its a great port all things considered and I have a soft spot for it, was culled as the PS version is far superior - apart from the music maybe.

Flashback, Desert Strike etc all went. some have since been re-released on modern systems and others are superior on the Mega Drive.

I've decided to go for a smaller but all round higher quality collection for it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Another fantastic doc from Noclip, this time on GOG and the awesome work they do.

Worth all of the 45mins it'll take from ya.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    So glad everything arrived safely @retroking!

Loved looking through some of the manuals, there's some good artwork in there. Was really close to getting a snes here with some games, something about the artwork on the boxes and in the manuals just says "let's go on an adventure and have fun".

Maybe a snes mini and mod it.
  • Thanks for helping me out Nina, you saved me a small fortune on postage.

I think I paid upwards of £30 p&p for the last game I got imported from USA, so the combined sum of what we had was a lot cheaper.

Nintendo manuals were always really good in the NES and SNES eras, N64 wasn't bad from what I remember.

Yeah I think a modded SNES mini is the way to go, both financially and for modern conveinience.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That postage is steep - cost less than £30 for my cabinet power supply to AND from the US.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Postage all seems to depend on size of box. I feel it's more complicated than it should be at USPS. They have "flat rate" boxes that give you fixed rates for small, medium and large packages. I've never used a box from them as they feel flimsy, but it's hard to figure out what category your own box is gonna fall in. £30 for two ways sounds cheap, was that USPS? Maybe they can do some kinda business package that makes it cheaper.
  • I'll be going to the US in a couple of weeks and been thinking about sending stuff back in a package if I buy a lot. £15-20 for shipping and it would probably make sense.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It seems to vary . When TNT sent me a replacement power supply under warranty it was about $30 or so. TNT paid that but I could see the cost on the label.

However when I returned the faulty one for repair it was about £14 each way. I sent it Royal Mail. Can't remember how TNT returned it.

The power supply is about twice the size of a boxed SNES game. Not the heaviest thing though it does have a small heat sink - or at least a blade assembly for heat dissapation. It doesn't include the transformer which is separate from it - Atari cabinets are highly modular so you can take it all apart and replace parts easily. Very nifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @retroking1981's post has prompted me to record my trimmed down SNES collection.

Arkanoid is OK. Uses the mouse controller as an option. This was a late release. Has a decent 2 player battle mode with a split screen option.

snes2.jpg

On The Ball was in retro club. Also works with the mouse. Pilotwings is US NTSC.
    snes3.jpg

Space Invaders in US-NTSC. RType III is tatty but I have to live with that now....
    snes4.jpg

Super Aleste - love this. Have the JP version cart only just because. Super Dropzone doesn't get a lot of attention. Splendid game. Has a 4 player alternating turns mode which is unusual.
    snes5.jpg

Tetris & Dr. mario is a great little cart.  Has an unusual mixed mode that has 2 players working through 3 modes in split screen under timed score attack conditions. I use the Tetris B mode in my Office Tetris competition. US version.
    snes6.jpg

Wifey loved Vegas Stakes back in the day.
    snes7.jpg

Some JP Tetris games. The black box is the special edition of Tetris + Bombliss. Has different puzzles. Green box is Tetris Battle Gaiden which is candidate for best Tetris versus game ever. Tetris Flash is Tetris in name only. Ok-ish.
    snes8.jpg

Caravan Shooting Collection has remakes of 3 NES shmups. Haven't been updated too much - just enough to remove flicker and improve scrolling. Zoop has great music on SNES.
    snes9.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Worth it for zoop
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Also have about 10 games cart only. I'd like to get these NTSC boxed at some point but that's getting less likely as time goes by.

F-Zero US-NTSC
    Battletoads US-NTSC
    Mario All Stars US-NTSC
    Mario Kart US-NTSC
    Super Pang
    Super Aleste JP-NTSC
    Addams Family
    Irem Skins
    Some JP fighting game I don't know the name of.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh....forgot about SF2 Turbo in the collectors edition tin box.

snes1.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Worth it for zoop

Heh.

:)
  • davyK wrote:
    That postage is steep - cost less than £30 for my cabinet power supply to AND from the US.

I think it's got to the stage where American sellers know they can take the piss tbh.

That plus customs is making things real expensive.

Nice collection btw, jealous of Super Aleste. Thats quite an expensive one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vast majority of my PAL SNES games were bought when the SNES was contemporary. So a lot of them were picked up for reasonable prices. Super Aleste was a Dixons pickup during a sale. I hadn't even heard of it.

I remember paying £50 for Prince of Persia though. Ouch. That's equal to about £100 now.
  • I remember my parents paying £64.99 for SFII for Christmas 1992, I'm pretty sure that's the most I've payed for an individual game. Turok is the only one I remember being more expensive at £69.99.

Whats the difference between the two Tetris games on the top row? They seem to have the same name.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The black one is the special edition. The puzzle modes have different content. Limited edition has more puzzles that standard edition. 

Menu screens have different background colour and the music is remixed. It was the collector in me that made me get both.
  • Ah, my bad I didn't read your caption.

Is that a complete SNES Tetris set then?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I threw out a CIB Pal Street Fighter Alpha 2 before ebay was a big thing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is that a complete SNES Tetris set then?

I think so....that was my reasoning behind it.  With Tetris & Dr. Mario I think that's them all.

You never know though - there's always another lurking....  There might be a version of Tetris 2 with no Bombliss mode but that might be a step too far if it's the only difference. Tetris 3 has different modes including a novel 4 player mode. It even has a branded multi-tap (which I don't have) - so on the whole they are different enough if you like Tetris.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    US SNES carts come with a nice plastic cover that fits over the end with the edge connector. Would have kept the cart safe when the box was dumped. I wonder if that was a judgement on US gamers by Nintendo?
  • Yep, I love em.

NES had them too and Game Boy games had those nice cases.

Nice touches imo, things went to shit with the N64 and GBA.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The original UK Saturn boxes were the worst of the non-cardboard efforts for me (not 100% cardboard anyway).  I liked the Dreamcast ones but the hinges couldn't wait to break.
  • I remember the PlayStation starting out with a dodgy cardboard style and standard CD cases before they settled on their own style.

I think NTSC are just standard CD cases.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The original UK Saturn boxes were the worst of the non-cardboard efforts for me (not 100% cardboard anyway).  I liked the Dreamcast ones but the hinges couldn't wait to break.

The original PAL Saturn cases look nice but are pretty shite in reality. Big fan of the plastic cases that followed the cardboard hybrid.

The different shades of blue on the PAL DC cases have always bothered me. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I forgot about those sleeves NES carts came in. Was that first party thing only? Can't remember now.
  • PC game boxes were the worst.

This box is the size of six National Geographic magazines in a stack.

It contains one floppy disk.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Going up to my parents attic to find the long lost GBA
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No joy, but found this which seems to be worth at least £100 so that's something.

TI1Adob.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!