Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing some Puzzle Bobble today - one of my favourites. But got a stark reminder of the shit deal we PAL gamers got.

I've been playing my recently acquired copy of Puzzle Bobble 64 (aka BAM3) for my JP console and was comparing it with BAM 2 on my PAL machine. Even with a game like this the speed difference is remarkable. I don't think it's because they are different entries in the series. The borders are really bad too. It has only made me more determined to offload my N64 PAL games for NTSC copies.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Funnily enough I have just finished playing Eternal Champions on my Retron5 and I don't know whether it was playing the US ROM but I had to turn the speed down to the lowest setting, it was ridiculous. It could also be an age thing though to be fair.

I had the bit between my teeth as it's a game I have always wanted to complete but never have due to the ridiculous single player structure. The Retron5 let's you save state so I got to the Eternal Champion and save stated. You have the two rounds to beat him but he has 4 states per round and you have to beat all 4 in either round to complete the game with the meagrest of health top up after each state. If you lose your back to the start again. A proper pad smasher.

The good news is I finished it with Nightmare my favourite character, the bad news was the underwhelming ending; a wall of text. Anyway I feel really pleased with myself tonight so here is my own wall of text!

Dynamite Headdy next, a game I have never really given enough of a chance to.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Dynamite Headdy is probably the best platformer on MD.  Maybe Rocket Knight Adventures pushes it, but that's over too quickly, and S&K+3 might not count under certain rules.  Or even register, for the Sonic bashers.  It'll be nicely doable with save states, but it was a punishing grind to git gud properly, especially with how easy it was to miss continues.  Then there's the baskestball minigame for the secret numbers too, and the secret bonus points.  Ridiculously good game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That looks stupendous.

A couple of times I've thought about the PCE but the poor connection options always put me off. This solves that and then some.
  • Agreed.

Since then I got a retropi though, so this is a hard sell personally now.

Its very nice though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • http://www.piretrogaming.com/product/superior/

Insane price of £225.

Emulators Include –
    N64
    SNES
    NES
    Mega Drive
    Master System
    Game Gear
    Atari 2600
    Atari 5200
    Atari 7800
    Atari Lynx
    Atari ST
    Gameboy Advance
    Gameboy Colour
    Gameboy
    MAME (Hundreds more games than the Extreme!)
    Capcom
    NeoGeo
    Neogeo Pocket
    Neogeo Pocket Colour
    Amstrad
    ZXSpectrum
    Amiga
    Commodore 64
    MSX
    MSX 2
    Colecovision
    Apple II
    PC Engine
    Wonderswan
    Wonderswan Colour
    Quake
    Quake 3 Arena
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Doom
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Daphne (New)
    FBAlpha (New)
    Playstation 1
    Dreamcast
    ScummVM
    Championship Manage Series 1 and 2
    Sega CD (140 new games)
    PSP (new)
    DOS (2600 new games!)
    Game & Watch
  • Looks suspiciously like the emulators that come with the bog standard retropie.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyone using the OSSC for playing old consoles on modern TVs?

It's fast becoming the preferred solution for this - looks to be usurping the Framemeister for this. Cheaper too.
  • I looked recently as it's no longer on back order but when you add the remote and power adapter it's still quite expensive so I thought I'd wait untill I have a bit more disposable cash lying around. It's had rave reviews davy, if I had the cash I wouldn't think twice.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm still a CRT person but I like the look of it. I should probably put a few quid aside for it each month and pick one up.  There's talk of a hardware mod for SNES wrinkles so will wait for that.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    So, here's the deal.

Wii U Pro Pad + 8Bitdo dongle + SNES Mini = works
    8Bitdo SNES pad + Switch = works
    8Bitdo SNES pad + 8Bitdo dongle + SNES Mini = doesn't work

WTF.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • SNES mini is the same connection as Wii.

I'd guess it's not compatible with that input.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, the dongle has a Wii connecter. The 8bitdo site lists the dongle + pad as compatible with the SNES Mini. But it's the only combo that doesn't work. (And the only one I want to work.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Thats odd as I got some of the wired SNES mini pads off ebay from someone who said he was selling them because he upgraded to wireless ones.

By that I assumed he meant these.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • http://www.playretrogames.com/3972-wwf-wrestlefest

Anybody remember wrestlefest? I bloody loved this game, it still plays just how I remember too.

You can play loads of 8/16 bit classics on that website. They're all playable in the web browser and can be played with a pad/stick.

Just search for what your after or click on the games systems in the top left.
  • Local independent got in some JP Saturn stuff.

I immediately ordered the Action Replay and Virtua Fighter Remix.

I don't own a Saturn of any description.

What have I done?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Entered the wonderful world of Saturn import.

:)
  • I also don't own a CRT.
  • Get Virtua Cop 1 & 2 next then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not if he doesn't own a CRT!

I've had my Saturn connected up to a 32" Sony Bravia using RGB SCART and it was grand.

I wouldn't bother with a PAL machine unless it is modded for 60Hz. Saturn collecting can be a bit of a rabbit hole. I think I made a lengthy "intro-to-Saturn" post about it here.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Found it

Guide to the Saturn (import edition)

This info assumes you don't want to modify your console:-
    1. First of all , make sure you power it properly. It will require a step down power converter as it runs on 110v and our UK 240v supply will fry it. You can get them easily online but I got mine from Maplins. They aren't expensive items. At a guess £20 should get you one (though it's been a while since I bought mine).

2. Cable. RGB SCART is optimal. There are suppliers online. Check out Rob Webb but there are plenty of other UK suppliers such as retrogamingcables.co.uk

3.Using a modern TV? You will probably be alright. If using a CRT (which is optimal) it might be a lottery if it will work with an NTSC source. You can test your CRT by plugging in a Freeview box or some other AV source and setting the output to NTSC to see if it works. The most common problem is a black and white image.

4. You will probably need a battery for the clock and backup memory. Dead easy to get and cheap - a CR2032- common as muck. Will last you a year or two. Easy to install too - facing the back of the console there's a port on the left into which the battery fits.

5. Optional - you can change the language settings of the console to English - helps navigating the Saturn's own built in menu system easier.

6. The cartridge port and what it does. The system memory powered by the CR2032 gets you started but you will need more space for game saves once you start buying more games. The Saturn has a cartridge port on top. An official backup cartridge will have more storage than you will ever need. Some people say they are glitchy but I've had no problems. The Saturn cart port itself can be temperamental and any cartridge may need some gentle jiggling to ensure the Saturn recognises it but once it's in and working you should be fine.

An alternative to the official backup cartridge is an Action Replay 5 in 1 cartridge (called the 4 in 1 as well). This is a pretty useful device as it :

** Defeats the region lock so you can play US and PAL games on your JP console.

**Works as a 4MB RAM expansion feature that is required for playing the Capcom versus Fighter games such as Xmen vs Streetfighter. SFZ 3 needs this too.  (SF1 and 2 don't need it). It can also act as a 1MB RAM expansion cartridge that some games need but there aren't many of these (and that's why some people call the cart a "5 in 1" instead of a "4 in 1" as the 1MB RAM expansion could be considered an extra function).

**It has backup storage to copy your game saves too - though unfortunately Saturn games cannot save directly to it like the official backup cartridge - instead you have to save to the system memory (powered by the CR2032) and then use the AR cartridge's menu to copy between the cartridge memory and the Saturn memory. Easy to do but just not as slick. However the AR's other features more than make up for this. It's firmware can also be updated to play burned discs but I have no experience of that.

** The cart also acts as a cheat device but I've never used this feature.

It's a very useful cartridge but I rarely use mine any more since I got a JP console and have bought mostly JP games.

You can just get a dedicated 4MB RAM expansion cart - quite often the Capcom versus games that use it will come with a cartridge - so look out for that when looking to buy such a game online. The carts themselves aren't that expensive. (SFZ3 isn't cheap though!)

Using a dedicated 4MB RAM cartridge means you can't play PAL or NTSC 4MB RAM games on your JP console but - there aren't any! All those games are JP releases.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Also - 1st party PAL games will glitch at 60Hz - so best to buy NTSC versions - they will be dirt cheap to pick up though.

Most 3rd party PAL games are unoptimised and will run at 60Hz.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Christ I've had my Japanese Saturn for two years and didn't know I could change the system language.
  • Wow, great effort davy!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Davy wins the thread.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

Probably needs updating to talk about upscalers - when I posted that it wasn't so much a big deal but with the newer TVs it might need addressed but of course that isn't specific to the Saturn.
  • Recommendations for where to get a guaranteed working NTSC-J Saturn with an official power supply outside of Akihabara?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Been a long time.  I just got mine off eBay. I was very lucky. A boxed white model with all the cables and a copy of DoDonPachi for £50. Was a long time ago. DDP would almost cost that on its own now. Consoles themselves won't be that expensive though.

Rob Webb / consolegoods.co.uk might be worth a look. His site is distinctly low tech but he's a very good seller.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Can also vouch for Rob Webb.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!