Retro Gaming
  • Looks like the same package available on Steam.
    Based on I believe the GenS emulator. Decent emulation with a few buggy quircks due to save states.
    Ignore the room UI, it's shit.

All in all, Kega Fusion is still a better emulator.
    Still bought the package in support of retro 16 bit. The early Camelot stuff (when they were known as Sonic Software planning) is gold. Shining Force 1 and 2 still hold up today.

Wish they'd release the sega cd/32x stuff as well.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    No Thunder Force :(

Thought that would be a given as they have the rights now.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Will still buy it though :D
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Eteranl Champions not making the cut for either release is an odd one.  Poor Eric.

I'm glad someone else noticed, I went to bed early seething!

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Hopefully it's because there's going to be a glorious HD remaster! Or maybe the 24Meg cart was too large to include?

(Clutches at more straws...)
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I'm still holding out hope Sonic 3 is unlocked after completing the first level of 1.

It must be right? Think about it, a MD collection WITHOUT SONIC 3.

I've convinced myself it's on there. Up, Down, Left, Right, A, Start when the music kicks in!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Eric wrote:
    Hopefully it's because there's going to be a glorious HD remaster! Or maybe the 24Meg cart was too large to include? (Clutches at more straws...)

Maybe they're sitting on it until they can go definitive with a Mega CD collection.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Probably to do with emulation glitches more than anything.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The list looks a bit dull to me. If you have owned these collections in the past most will have been covered.
    Unfortunately a lot of must have games from the era will never end up on a collection due to all sorts of contracts and politics.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm done with those packs. They have been wrung to death.

It's the same old stuff - we need the more expensive shmups to appear - but that's probably licencing hell.
  • From a Sega published perspective I think everything I would want is there bar Sonic3/K.

Plenty of 3rd party stuff missing but that's to be expected.

Bit if a shame.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I find those console packs initially attractive but for all their advantages they feel sterile.

It's probably just me - I still prefer the original hardware for all its limitations and problems.
  • I'm glad they exist, but tend to see them either as overpriced or pretty lazy.  You can run these games in a browser on a desktop (or Xbox), so imo the onus is on the publisher to go to town on the love, so to speak.  They should have deep insight/artwork/interviews/location variations stuffed in there along with all those 8 meg ROMs, proper nerd-out stuff, not just an iffy bedroom UI.  

I sound like a broken record, but that's another way to do it.
  • Yeah the Rare collection on Xbox One is a joyous thing. The presentation is a real celebration of the developer and there are extras in there as well.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Wish they'd release the sega cd/32x stuff as well.

Seconded.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I downloaded the 32x library to my retropie.
    Terrible, don't pay money for that trash.
  • Don't be that guy.

I was that guy.
  • Actually, my dad was that guy.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'd just be interested out of morbid curiosity. Plus there were a handful of good 32X and CD titles.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I downloaded the 32x library to my retropie.
    Terrible, don't pay money for that trash.

Virtua fighter and Virtua Racing are nice and historically still relevant. Star Wars arcade's a polished shooter as well. Third party stuff's mediocre and would be licensing hell to republish no doubt.

Sega cd fares a slight bit better. Definitive versions of Ecco, Shining Force cd, Eternal Champions, Final Fight cd and more. Again, 3rd party stuff would be licensing hell.

Skipping to Saturn would make more sense but Saturn iso's are bigger and it's emulation a lot more taxing to get right.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm led to believe that Sonic CD was rather good. Have no experience of it though.

I look on at those add-ons with some ire as I blame that stupid period on Sega's downfall.  Gaming is the worse for their disappearance.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm led to believe that Sonic CD was rather good. Have no experience of it though.

I look on at those add-ons with some ire as I blame that stupid period on Sega's downfall.  Gaming is the worse for their disappearance.

Sonic CD has a great soundtrack but plays more like 1, than 2.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Sonic CD was made in Japan as the sequel to 1, at the same time Sega America churned out 2.

Didn't like CD at all tbh, and I love the MD games and thought Mania was good.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    I look on at those add-ons with some ire as I blame that stupid period on Sega's downfall.

Unfortunately Sega have no one to blame but themselves.

Their civil war is well documented now. They made great games but were led by donkeys rivalling that of the British army in WWI.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - the 32X , CD add-on debacle was symptomatic of all that nonsense.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Things that killed SEGA: USA and Japanese antagonism, poorly thought out add ons, the bizarre Saturn architecture, the bungled Saturn launch/launch price, and the masterful PS2 hype campaign.
  • Bang on
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You know what? Asteroids Deluxe is a bloody brilliant game. Playing it for 2-3 weeks now nearly every day and falling in love all over again.

Trying to play this emulated just doesn't do it justice. On MAME it's OK but the XBL effort is pitiful. It really is a pity people don't get to experience this as they should although I've heard there is vector monitor emulator going about.

The physics are superbly implemented, When using the shield you destroy bullets and ufos - but you bounce off the asteroids and the homing missiles - it's such a satisfying feeling getting a nudge off a rock to safety before turning just in time to blast it to smithereens.

And all done in 1979-80. Amazing.

It's tough though - still struggling to break 30K consistently. I do have it on the hard setting but I'd rather have it that way.
  • I would fucking love to play Asteroids on a genuine cab. Can't say I've played it ever other than on an emu or clone, and even then I could see the brilliance in the design.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!