Retro Gaming
  • tell me about it, i had 52 lives at Roy's castle all gone.
  • Smang wrote:
    well you've been lucky lol. those batteries are supposed to last 10 years!

Yeah I've often wondered how true the 10-15 years lifespan was.

Just been reading up that some games used EEPROM which to the best of my knowledge is basically flash memory.

Maybe more games used this than SRAM than we think?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Most N64 carts are fine but there are about a dozen or so that use batteries - one of them annoyingly being F-Zero X.

https://howchoo.com/g/zwu5ogm1ndg/nintendo-64-cartridge-save-battery-change

However as far as I can see all my SNES battery games are still fine with one exception being my US-NTSC copy of Mario All Stars although it does seem to keep files sometimes.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • i noticed playing games would sometimes give the battery a bit of juice for a few days.
  • SRAM = battery afaik

EEPROM is a kind of flash memory with an apparent 25 year lifespan.

Theres other like FRAM too that last even longer that Sonic 3 uses.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    SRAM = battery afaik EEPROM is a kind of flash memory with an apparent 25 year lifespan. Theres other like FRAM too that last even longer that Sonic 3 uses.

yeah - I confused static RAM with flash...edited my post. :)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Think so.

Lucky bast.

It's not that much of a surprise really. N64 prices, especially PAL CIB, have been rocketing.  Rat Attack is a pretty humdrum game. It must have had a limited run.

The £300 price is for an immaculate copy - mine was pretty much too apart from some very minor price sticker damage - which would drop the value at such a pricing level. Still - quite a price rise.

Even if I hadn't sold it then it would have been scooped up in my clearout lot to chilloutgames a few years ago. Better a badger benefits. Heh.

There's a Tarzan game that's supposed to be worth even more. Sheesh.

It was me. And I own Tarzan.
    The rarest games are the weird third party ones. One of the rarest I own is Rocket Robot on Wheels, which is an early Sucker Punch (!) Game for the N64.

My shout for next £x00 games are need for speed and walking dead on wiiu fwiw.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's a good copy of rat attack btw
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I don't think I've ever played it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It isn't worth playing....

Actually that's unfair - it would probably be a laugh in multiplayer. Ìf I remember right it's a bit like an iffy Chu Chu Rocket but I could be wrong. Up to 4 players.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Sounds like Super Bomberman R. I'm still waiting to grab that at <£15, just for multiplayer sessions.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a bomberman game for N64 I fancy - JP only - called Bomberman Arcade. Dumps the ill judged 3D look. Hard to get hold of though.

Adds a clutch of modes with bomberman themed takes on match 3 puzzles, Mario Party style mini games, Pang etc to the classic Bomberman game.

Seen it all before but the Bomberman theme adds to the charm. A nice collectible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyYcFrqHDk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried my JP Gamecube with my new CRT last night.

It didn't work on my old, now defunct, one - which only worked with NTSC source via RGB SCART.  It works on my new one - Hurray! But the JP GC doesn't have RGB out (!!). So I'm using composite , which as you can imagine, even with a more forgiving CRT, leaves a lot to be desired.

It does have s-video though - anyone know if there was an official s-video cable for it?

I'll trawl the usual online suppliers but JP GC does seem to be a bit on the niche side.
  • what do you mean it doesn't have RGB out?!

you need a special RGB scart cable i think otherwise usual black and white NTSC shart.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Is that rare Tarzan game a tie-in for the Disney movie?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    what do you mean it doesn't have RGB out?! you need a special RGB scart cable i think otherwise usual black and white NTSC shart.

I've read that NTSC GCs don't do RGB even with a cable, only s-video. Only PAL GCs do RGB.
  • Edit:
    That's correct davy only PAL GCs natively output RGB. NTSC games have a progressive 480p mode which is better but the component cable costs a fortune.

There is a modded cable available though:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/ntsc-gamecube-rgb-cable/

Looks complicated!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks like a nightmare. But maybe there are suppliers who sell them premade. Will have a look. Cheers.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    There's a bomberman game for N64 I fancy - JP only - called Bomberman Arcade.

Bomberman so ebst.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Dang it, local supermarket have SBR for NT$890, which according to xe.com is £22. So close.
  • Eric wrote:
    Edit: That's correct davy only PAL GCs natively output RGB. NTSC games have a progressive 480p mode which is better but the component cable costs a fortune. There is a modded cable available though: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/ntsc-gamecube-rgb-cable/ Looks complicated!

ah ok - that explains why the HDMI adapters have had such a big deal made of them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Is that rare Tarzan game a tie-in for the Disney movie?

Yep.  It actually doesn't look half bad. Another Disney style 2D platformer in the 16bit tradition - but N64 seemed to be able to do 2D games rather well.
  • I played that with my nephew on PSone.

Was very average but not awful. Disney games seemed to be better in the 8/16-Bit days but I guess my age might have something to do with that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • anyone here beaten Final Fight?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yep
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've been trying to beat it with as few lives as possible
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I haven't finished it in this one yet either.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sega are revealing more information on the Mega Drive Mini on March 30. Sonic 2 and Shining Force 1 won the fan poll to be included in the game line-up, defeating Sonic 1 and Shining Force 2.
  • Surely there's room for all four?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think they will include Sonic 1 anyway as it's so iconic and the poll was very close.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!