• You greedy Geeza
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Has MD not been done to death? There are several devices I've seen that seem to feature the same tired selection of ROMs.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    This is the 'proper' Mega Drive Mini that is Sega's counterpart to Nintendo's Classic Mini consoles and Sony's PlayStation Classic. They've done loads of low quality MD stuff with AtGames but they fucked them off for this one and seem to be doing it properly for once.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Edit: What ERE said
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good. I might actually be interested in it but the ROM selection will be the kicker.

Doing this seems to be harder than it looks. Nintendo seem to be the only company that has managed it. The PS1 and the NeoGeo attempts aren't the best.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think the PlayStation Classic is case of clawing defeat from the jaws of victory - with a bit more time in the oven it could have been a success.

Re: NeoGeo, the entire shrunk down arcade sector seems very challenging. There are limits to what manufacturers can achieve within the price ranges that people will pay, even at £150 or so. My quarter size Pac-Man machine is very nice but has some compromises like the resolution not being identical to the original machine.

I reckon the Mega Drive one will be successful if they don't mess it up, although the market could have moved on in the last couple of years so you never know.
  • So with the emulation then....am I right in thinking that this could be the definitive MD box, if hackable?  The innards will be on point, so to speak, so presuming there's a way to add ROMs those extra games would probably run very well indeed?  MD emulation is pretty solid on everything but the sound is often lacking, especially on those handheld units/cheap tellyboxes.  

I wonder if it'll have a headphone socket.
  • I'll just stick with my Pi.

Only mini that could tempt me is an N64 one as the emulation on that is still surprisingly pish.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    So with the emulation then....am I right in thinking that this could be the definitive MD box, if hackable?  The innards will be on point, so to speak, so presuming there's a way to add ROMs those extra games would probably run very well indeed?  MD emulation is pretty solid on everything but the sound is often lacking, especially on those handheld units/cheap tellyboxes.  

I wonder if it'll have a headphone socket.

Problem with these things is they'll optimise the emulator for the included games and nothing else. It'll probably be hacked to ribbons but for an accurate version of all games you'd need to spend a gazillion pounds on a Mega Sg.
  • Which I hear is shipping early?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I think the PlayStation Classic is case of clawing defeat from the jaws of victory - with a bit more time in the oven it could have been a success. Re: NeoGeo, the entire shrunk down arcade sector seems very challenging. There are limits to what manufacturers can achieve within the price ranges that people will pay, even at £150 or so. My quarter size Pac-Man machine is very nice but has some compromises like the resolution not being identical to the original machine. I reckon the Mega Drive one will be successful if they don't mess it up, although the market could have moved on in the last couple of years so you never know.

It's kind of my point. It seems to be very easy to mess up. They sound like a slam dunk but slip ups are easy.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I guess another thing Nintendo did is understock rather than overstock. PSC wouldn't have been such a disaster if they hadn't churned out a load of units expecting a big Christmas hit.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Guy I share an entrance with downstairs has managed to sign for my Mega Sg so I'll actually be able to play on mine tonight!
  • i'm very curious abut the Mega SG, mostly because i have not had the balls to attach my UK mega CD to my various consoles in fear of some sort of region based explosion.
  • Do those Analogue consoles support save states yet?

I seem to remember reading it was a possibility despite not using emulation.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I guess another thing Nintendo did is understock rather than overstock. PSC wouldn't have been such a disaster if they hadn't churned out a load of units expecting a big Christmas hit.

True.

I'm still torn about getting one. If get a a Nintendo one it will be the NES mini since I have a SNES collection that I'm pretty happy about.

I'd never heard of this Mega Sg - will be interested to hear how it stacks up.
  • You ll have to update us ERE when you get it up and running. They are beautiful. What region colour did you go for?

Smang, I've got my region free modded Asian PAL MD hooked up to a PAL mega CD with no problems.
  • Eric wrote:
    You ll have to update us ERE when you get it up and running. They are beautiful. What region colour did you go for? Smang, I've got my region free modded Asian PAL MD hooked up to a PAL mega CD with no problems.

that's my exact combo, praise be. 

Can it 'upscale" PAL CD games to 60hz?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I went for Japan. Thought about getting a US one because the colour scheme matched the MD2 but decided the Jap one was more definitive.
  • Why is the NES analogue console ridiculously expensive compared to the SNES and MD ones?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Smang wrote:

Yes you can force 60 PAL. I've got the switchless mod which lets you switch region too but doing that activates the MegaCD lock out.

• Eric wrote:
    Smang wrote:
    Yes you can force 60 PAL. I've got the switchless mod which lets you switch region too but doing that activates the MegaCD lock out.

curious, my mod has a switch.. i'll have ot test it out.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Why is the NES analogue console ridiculously expensive compared to the SNES and MD ones?

It's made out of a single sheet of aluminium or something and has a ton of ports. From Super Nt onwards they have tried to keep the prices reasonable.
  • Mines activated by holding the reset button which cycles through
    the 3 regions denoted by a changing colour of the 'on' light. Tapping the reset then switches between 50/60hz so you can randomly force 50hz NTSC if you wanted.
  • Eric wrote:
    Mines activated by holding the reset button which cycles through the 3 regions denoted by a changing colour of the 'on' light. Tapping the reset then switches between 50/60hz so you can randomly force 50hz NTSC if you wanted.

ah i can imagine why that might not play well with the CD, or does it just protest 60hz in general?
  • I'm going to have a play tonight and see. From memory forcing PAL 60 works but it might not be making any difference to the MegaCD output. I'll flip it to 50hz and see if there's any tangible difference.
  • Yep so forcing 60hz PAL works on the Mega CD it's full screen and noticeably faster whilst playing Eternal Champions Challenge from the Darkside. Other tell tale sign is the sega wake up tune on boot up is sped up too.
  • Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!