Retro Gaming
  • Unlikely wrote:
    ROTOSCOPING or something.  

That’s exactly what it’s called. Filming people and then tracing over the footage frame by frame. First used by Disney for Snow White.
  • I just had another Flashback flashback.
  • Heh. That was a real bugbear at the time. Released for the Amiga but not the ST.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jordan Mechner rotoscoped his brother leaping around in the back garden apparently.

:)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • No no no, that's not the way it happened.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No idea if this backs me up or not....

https://vimeo.com/53918011
  • It probably does, I didn't doubt you in the first place (was just quoting the prince).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jesus I'm on a roll re being out of touch.

He did use his brother but he also used footage from Robin Hood for the swordfighting. It's worth a watch.
  • Coincidentally enough I've just (sort of) finished Prince of Persia on the Snes. I've reached the second to last level which is a boss rush and I've got about two minutes left on the clock. I think there's 5 of them and then the main guy in the next level. So there's no chance of me doing it in that time. I either have to start again or become a speed run expert. 

The DOS one is considered the definitive version of the original one hour version I think. The Snes one has more graphical bells and whistles, very decent soundtrack, loads more levels and you've got two hours to complete it. Bloody tricky though. Combing later levels to find the right sequence of out of place tiles you need to press and gates to go through and stuff, all against the clock. If I'd tried a bit more to optimise the time taken in the easier first half then I'd have made it. Some classic level design though. The controls are a bit stiff - probably one of the problems of getting smooth rotoscoping is that you lose a bit of responsiveness. But the game is built around that so you don't notice it too much. I'd say Flashback, despite making some improvements on the basics, suffers a bit more.
  • I think the Mac version is the original. It was ported to DOS, wasn’t it?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - SNES PoP soundtrack is very nice.

One of the few games I stayed the distance with back then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I think the Mac version is the original. It was ported to DOS, wasn’t it?

Going by the video above it was Apple II then DOS.
  • poprock wrote:
    I think the Mac version is the original. It was ported to DOS, wasn’t it?
    Yeah but more colours or something on DOS. The original was on everything and ported by all sorts of teams. I had the MS version originally but I didn't get very far with it. When I decided I was going to replay it, I was looking for the best format to play it on and found this vid. Worth a watch if you're interested. 
  • didn't they remake it on 360/ps3 as well
  • There was an XBLA version that was quite well received early on.
  • SNES version was excellent.  Extra areas and levels, and the sword fighting was much improved.

There was a way to go straight to the final boss so I probably spent as much time fighting him as playing the main game.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    There was an XBLA version that was quite well received early on.

that's the one, was more or less the OG game with 3d graphics on top if i recall.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    SNES version was excellent.  Extra areas and levels, and the sword fighting was much improved. There was a way to go straight to the final boss so I probably spent as much time fighting him as playing the main game.

I fluked past the final bosses with a couple of tries and I'm not sure how. I found the levels to be a bigger challenge than the bosses.

I can remember a bit where you had to jump across a gap and deliberately miss a ledge so you ended up on a platform below. I can remember taking a wee while to figure that out. Loved the game.
  • Smang wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    There was an XBLA version that was quite well received early on.
    that's the one, was more or less the OG game with 3d graphics on top if i recall.
    XBLA version had an odd mix of framerates as well, some played at 60fps, some 30fps.
  • davyK wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    SNES version was excellent.  Extra areas and levels, and the sword fighting was much improved. There was a way to go straight to the final boss so I probably spent as much time fighting him as playing the main game.
      I fluked past the final bosses with a couple of tries and I'm not sure how. I found the levels to be a bigger challenge than the bosses. I can remember a bit where you had to jump across a gap and deliberately miss a ledge so you ended up on a platform below. I can remember taking a wee while to figure that out. Loved the game.

You could back him against the wall and it's game over for him - he just keeps walking back on to your sword.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Maybe that was it - think I'd have remembered that though. I can remember mashing parry and attack with two fingers alternately which seemed to work with most bosses once you got the timing right. I bought this game when SNES was contemporary.  Still have it boxed and with the manual.

It was £50 back then in the Belfast Virgin Megastore , say '93 - that's about £100 today. I had just started my full time perm job in IT at the time. So I had money and the SNES was my console of choice. So that console has a real warm giggly feel for me. I don't think I could stand parting with those games even though I know they are rarely played and are worth a packet. PoP is probably close to holding its value at today's rates.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck. £100 for a game. No wonder I looked after them.
  • I paid £14.99 for a second hand US version on 04.06.1994 - just checked the receipt.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good price. Mine was brand new PAL.

I've since tested it at 60Hz and it runs fine - so got no optimisation. Music runs at same speed so not related to the frame rate.

No way I'd pay £100 for a game now. (OK ignore my Asteroids Cabinet purchase).
  • davyK wrote:
    Is Dreamcast retro? I'm guessing it is.

I didn't know there were hidden characters in Cosmic Smash..

http://www.ribbonblack.com/2017/06/cosmic-smash-undiscovered-secret.html

An absolute gem of a game. Sega at its stylistic best.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's that alright.

I love the chilled out announcer.  I've managed a couple of completions but only taking what is considered the easiest route.

Mentioned this before but I'd be very surprised if someone on the design team of gameshow The Cube hasn't played it.
  • cosmic smash was a game i could never find when i was dreamcasting. a quick google tells me it might still be pretty rare
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think it's easy enough to get hold of it's just it commands a price. Seems to be around the £80 mark.

Kind of like Radiant Silvergun on Saturn - you can always find a copy but you'll have to pay £100 or thereabouts if XBL isn't good enough for you. :)
  • It never did get a UK release so was always restricted to enthusiasts here.
  • The packaging is rather lovely too.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!