Retro Gaming
  • Looks like it runs really smoothly, which is more important for early 3D. Kind of like Twisted Metal World Tour even.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is it a prototype or a homebrew?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Saturn was fine at 3D but its problem was it wasn't easy to port to. The hardware was based on rectangles and not triangles which mean anything ported from PS1 looked like shit.

The multi processor architecture didn't help either but it was well able for any style of game at the time. As much as I like the N64, the Saturn is retrospectively the best console of that gen.
  • As much as I love the Saturn, there is no way I can say it was better than the PS1.

It was definitely better at two of my favourite genres, Vs Fighters, and SHMUPS.

The PS1 and 2 (3 too, but largely the same as 360) have ridiculously large, and good games libraries.
  • Got to back VFII as the best 32-bit polygon fighter.
  • VF2 or Tekken 3.

Both are fantastic.

Tekken 3 is the birth of modern Tekken with everyone being able to sidestep, and the PS1 got a great port.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    At the time PS1 was better; esp for Western tastes. But going back to PS1 now is next to pointless apart from a few still splendid exclusives. Everything else has been made redundant because of updates.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PS1 is still relevant because of these (at least for me)

Parrapa and Vib Ribbon
    Bishi Bashi
    Gradius Gaiden
    RType Delta
    Xevious 3DG+
    Tempest X3
    Wipeout 2097 Wipeout 3SE and R4 with linkup 
    Kurushi & Kurushi Final

Might be a few more - but those are off the top of my head.
  • Vib Ribbon is my one that got away on PS1.

I adore Bishi Bashi, I would love them to do a HD version of this. Was there an arcade 3 player version or am I thinking of something else?

One game I will always champion despite it's awful reviews is Team Buddies.
    It isnt worth the prices it was getting last time I looked as it falls into that rare for complete set buyers category.
    Well worth emulating though.
  • I always had a soft spot for Rapid Reload.
  • Just off the top of my head PS1 has these:

Ridge Racer
    Gran Turismo
    Wipeout 2097
    Colin McRae Rally
    TOCA Touring Cars 2

Tomb Raider
    Tenchu
    Metal Gear Solid

Tekken 3

FIFA Road to World Cup '98
    ISS Pro Evolution 2

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and Tactics
    Chrono Cross
    Suikoden

Victory Boxing
    WWF Attitude

Parappa
    Abe's Odyssey
    Ape Escape

Colony Wars
    G-Police
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's Devil Dice too - though it got redone as Bombastic on PS2.

PS1 got a nice port of In The Hunt too - which is Metal Slug in a submarine for the uninitiated.

There's also an odd little game called Puchi Caret which is cross between Arkanoid and Bust-a-move. It even came with a paddle controller.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @CHopperByrne

Would you really go back to games like Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Solid on PS1 in 2019?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh - forgot about Power Diggerz on PS1.

Excellent arcade JCB game!
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Got to back VFII as the best 32-bit polygon fighter.
    VF2 or Tekken 3. Both are fantastic. Tekken 3 is the birth of modern Tekken with everyone being able to sidestep, and the PS1 got a great port.

Bushido Blade sadly forgotten. Tobal 2 was apparently quite good but I could never import it. And of course, Soul Blade was excellent too.

It was probably the most experimental gen for fighting games. Saturn also had the allegedly excellent XMen Vs Street Fighter superior port.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • We’re making PS1 lists? I knew I came here for a reason!

Actua Soccer series
    Anna Kournikova’s Smash Court Tennis
    Assault Rigs
    Bishi Bashi Special
    Blast Chamber
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    Bushido Blade
    Colin McRae Rally
    Colony Wars
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert
    Cool Boarders
    Crash Bandicoot
    Crash Team Racing
    Deathtrap Dungeon
    Destruction Derby 1&2
    Die Hard Trilogy
    Driver
    Eagle One Harrier Attack
    Final Doom
    Future Cop LAPD
    G Police
    Gran Turismo
    Grand Theft Auto
    International Track & Field
    Jonah Lomu Rugby
    Le Mans 24 Hours
    Legagcy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    Medal of Honor (1999)
    Metal Gear Solid
    Micro Machines V3
    Muppet RaceMania
    One
    Project Overkill
    Quake II
    Rally Cross
    Resident Evil: Director’s Cut
    Ridge Racer
    Road Rash
    Road Rash 3D
    Road Rash: Jailbreak
    Rollcage
    Shaolin
    Shockwave Assault
    Sled Storm
    Spider-man
    Star Gladiator Episode 1: Final Crusade
    Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles
    Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire
    Starfighter 3000
    Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
    Tekken 1&3
    This is Football
    Time Crisis
    Tomb Raider
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    Urban Chaos
    Vigilante 8
    Virtua Soccer
    WipEout series
    Worms

(I realise some of these are non-exclusive, but I don’t care.)
  • davyK wrote:
    @CHopperByrne Would you really go back to games like Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Solid on PS1 in 2019?

MGS is still class in 2019 and completely playable.

PS1 is such a fun console to collect for, most games aren't that expensive and the library is massive and full of weird and unique games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'll give you that. PS1 is great to collect for - cheap as chips. And the import scene is far more interesting that one would assume. It got a good selection of 2D shmups and there are times when its port is as good as on Saturn and on occasions better.

Harmful Park is an odd one but it's worth a mint sadly.

But I doubt many of the Western releases would make the grade simply because of the crippling load times.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Saturn also had the allegedly excellent XMen Vs Street Fighter superior port.

It's splendid. I can't judge re gameplay but it's a quite a sight to see. No loading (the Saturn's loading tends to be shorter than on PS1 anyhow generally) once you get to the title screen as it used the 4MB RAM pack and consequently the full in-game character swap is there. Would have been mind blowing when it was released.

Capcom followed it up with MSH v Streetfighter which is gorgeous and there are many who state Saturn SFA3 is still the best home port. Though it costs a pretty penny. They also did Vampire Saviour with the RAM pack that looks great too though I haven't picked that one up.

The Saturn RAM pack was not hype like the N64's - it really delivered a punch but then it was used appropriately with 2D games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Was there an arcade 3 player version or am I thinking of something else?

Bishi Bashi Special on PS1 has 2 complete games - Super and Hyper. But the wiki says these are renamed from arcade BB1 and BB2.

One of them(I assume 2/Hyper) has slightly better graphics and supports 3 players.

Would have been quite something in the arcade.
  • Bishi Bashi, Overboard! and Motorhead were the PS1 games I kept hold of.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It got a nice compilation of RType 1 & 2 on a disc which I also kept. Both it and Delta got nice PAL ports - run full screen etc.
  • delta never came to aus :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Delta is a bit of a wonder. I dislike how most PS1 games have aged as they look pretty shambolic but not Delta. Yes it looks all pixelly and polygony but in a marvellous way and somehow holds together.  I haven't spent anywhere near enough time with it.
  • So someone has recoded Gradius III for SNES, to make use a of a chip that it didn't use, completely eliminating the slowdown, turning a bad port, into an excellent one.

https://twitter.com/HackerVilela/status/1134305770072289282?s=20
  • Some good games on Andy's list but not many I'd hang my hat on as all-timers.  Actua Soccer (pedantic hat on, sorry) was only good for a very limited period, imo.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Some good games on Andy's list but not many I'd hang my hat on as all-timers.  Actua Soccer (pedantic hat on, sorry) was only good for a very limited period, imo.

I'd say many of them were great in the day - but my position is that they are now mostly shit. The PS1 is still good for its 2D shmups , rhythm games, import oddities and top tier 3D games such as Wipeout3SE and R4.  It was a console very much of its time.

Retro not nostalgia.
  • I liked Street fighter EX 1&2 on PS1. Crazy taxi too? 

Fun fact, i've never played a tomb raider game in my life.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!