Retro Gaming
  • Great little mod showing off of how far the md hw can be pushed.
    Much improved over Capcom's own final release build and what capcom should've delivered in the first place.

The modders also did a ssf2 patch which from a technical standpoint is equaly impressive if slightly less polished than the sf2 sce mod. Still worth a playthrough as the audio visual improvements are still massive over the original release.

Pyron (the guy who did the recoloring) also did a recoloring patch for Final Fight cd. Also well worth a download if scrolling beat'm ups are your thing.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    How far console hardware can be pushed is very much a dying art.

If anyone has looked at what homebrew devs can do with a stock atari 2600 it is mind boggling. There are versions of Thrust and Warlords that are technical marvels. There's a late official game called Solaris which really pushes the envelope too.

So imagine if that same rigor was applied to the 16bit era.

But maybe modern stuff due to its off-the-shelf modular architecture (e.g.  360) doesn't hold as many surprises as something like the 2600 has - which was designed for implementing Pong, Tank, Breakout and a few timed shooting gallery style games. Basically it has 2 player sprites, 2 missile/ball sprites and 4 bit background patterns with no screen buffer - but yet can host a decent handful of still-enjoyable games that are way beyond that original template.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I recall reading a pretty mindblowing piece aboutr DigDug how it used memory buffer to generate levels and why the final level was impossible. Some of the stuff they had to do when they were closer to the silicone are proper wow. Great tools are bloody useful, but if you give every one a set square you'll never see a mortice joint

edit: mitre not mortice, oops
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    2600 Dig Dug is considered one of the great achievements. Technically as well as the fact that it felt like playing the original despite the graphical downgrade.

Berserk, Defender II, Ms Pacman and Jr Pacman are among the best of the arcade ports alongside DigDug.
  • There is still a hell of a lot of innovation going on but it tends to sit behind the scenes rather than being front and centre and noticeable to the end user.

The focus has been heavily moved to removing barriers to creativity. The whole idea around being able to make a game almost start to finish without knowing any coding is fantastic (asset flips being an unfortunate by product).
    The tools are also homogenizing more and more with other industries like film and animation.

Will there be another Mario 64? Almost certainly not but it is because innovation is now a constant stream of updates and annual software releases. That leap won't be seen in a single game again because the innovation has been democratised rather than being locked to in-house.

Anyone can download Unity or Unreal, Blender and Gimp then go and make a game. The barrier is skill and creativity.

In some ways it has gone full circle back to the early computers in that respect.
  • Hellblade is a great example of where gaming innovation is at.
    That game could not have been made in the way it was 10 years ago.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I agree that removing technical barriers allows creative types to make new games. Who knows what will come up from that.

I was just referring to how amazing techs can be at squeezing stuff out of hardware - and that it's something we are unlikely to see in gaming any more. Not a bad thing. Just saying.

Back in the day getting anything going was incredibly tough and at one time there were only a handful of engineers in the world who could get the 2600 to do anything. It's a minor miracle that there were engineers who had enough creativity to actually come up with something playable.

Going back to stuff like Asteroids and space invaders - even the sound effects had to be implemented in hardware and discrete logic. Huge barriers to the creative process.

The plus point was a game was a creation of a single person albeit created in a sharing environment with feedback. So games weren't built to a plan or hampered by committee. Sure there was a load of old shit created but there was brilliance too. Of course one could claim that being in on the ground floor is creatively easier as practically any idea had a good chance of being new. In fact at Atari, only new types of game were given the green light at one time.
  • I think the retro thread is the best place for this. Probably.

I was an Atari ST kid. And most of my games were pirated. In one of those amazing small world situations, a mate of mine decades later turned out to actually be the guy who had cracked/hacked most of my teenage self’s collection.

I’m actually catching up with him tonight, but I’m posting here because he’s recently been interviewed for a nostalgia website called Codetapper. It’s a monster of an interview – huge – but pretty interesting. Goes into serious depth about the old cracking techniques. The end part’s super-interesting too, talking about trying to ‘go straight’ and develop games for the Atari Jaguar.

Some of you will enjoy this anyway …

https://codetapper.com/atari-st/st-interviews/zippy/
  • And some more pirate scene nostalgia: The same guy used to have a PO box for fan letters to his latter-day cracking group, Cynix. He’s scanned a pile of the old letters received and posted them up online here:
    https://gotpapers.scene.org/?p=3421
  • Bunch of retro-heads at work enjoying getting stuck into that, thanks Pop!
  • I'll have to read that. I was an ST kid too - The Pompey Pirates were my local lot!

I actually had at least one of those cracks pictured in the article! I remember a lot of them taking the piss out of Birdy. Nice to read about the people behind the names.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • At our school we used to get a lot from Medway Boys, Pompey Pirates and Automation. In latter years I got a lot of stuff from Persistence of Vision, through a game shop owner in Blackpool. No idea why, since we were over in the countryside around Hull …
  • Those guys did a better job than the publishers - the fact that studios were putting out games on 4+ discs that the pirates would then compress into one. Made the devs look lazy!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was never an ST or Amiga bod - didn't have the cash. Would like to have been involved - probably ST as Atari was my first love.

But this is top work.
  • I have a serious wedge of nostalgia for the Amiga.
    I was too young to be bothered about magazines or to really know what the top games were but by fuck did I spend a lot of time on mine.

My Grandpa was big into his PCs and gave me and my brother our 500 when he upgraded. He would give us all the magazine cover discs as well, I would spend hours on those things.

Entire evenings spent on Deluxe Paint 3, guess that kinda played off in the long run.
  • Neochrome and then Dpaint ST for me. Certainly worked out in the end.
  • I wish I knew more of the Amiga's capabilities back then. I would definitely have given them a go despite being around 5-10 years old.

It is a great age for exploitative learning. Even in actual games I used to see what the game would let me do. I lacked the knowledge of gaming tropes, tropes that also were less well established, so there was no reason to not try things. It can be a hard mindset to tap into as an adult.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had a chance to pick up a console version of the Amiga but let it go as I didn't know how good an experience it gave.  I'm a Bitmap Bros fanboy but don't know how many of their games made it to the console.

An Amiga or ST mini would be a thing.
  • Has anyone been keeping an eye on the EVERCADE?

ER8nfQXW4AYsvFd.jpg

It’s a handheld for retro games. Officially licensed titles come on compilation carts. You can play handheld on the 4.3” screen, or there’s an HDMI out to play on the TV.

Until very recently, the announced cartridges were restricted to old titles but, in the last few days, they’ve announced that they’ve also partnered with the publishers of a few retro-style games. To be honest, I’ll probably only buy the actual retro carts, but hopefully the modern titles will help draw more attention to the hardware.

It was originally slated for release in April, but it’s now been moved back to 22 May (because Coronavirus). I’ve got mine preordered, along with the Namco Museum Collection 1, Interplay Collection 1, Atari Collection 1, Data East Collection 1 and Technōs Collection 1 cartridges.

The full announced library so far:

ER816t2WoAAzrkZ.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never heard of it. Will investigate.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's not quite my area of games but interesting anyways
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It's not quite my area of games but interesting anyways

This. Always interested in handhelds though, was clearing out the graveyard just now, I was a wee bit obsessed with the portable emulation scene for a while.
  • davyK wrote:
    I had a chance to pick up a console version of the Amiga but let it go as I didn't know how good an experience it gave.  I'm a Bitmap Bros fanboy but don't know how many of their games made it to the console.

An Amiga or ST mini would be a thing.

I got my first ever rejection letter from the Bitmaps age 11 or 12. I actually wrote to them and asked if I could send them designs for some games. The reply was on BB logo- embossed paper, too. I've still got it somewhere.

Cadaver is still one of my favourite games.

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Seems like that Evercade would be of most interest to people that just really feel they gotta have games on carts.

I feel like Switch obviates my need for this, would rather splash out on the Analogue Pocket and have emulation perfection or one of those crazy little things that are a PC in 3DS-style clamshell format.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah but who doesn't want to splash out on the Marilyn Monroe of consoles, i's bloody gorgeous
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I had a chance to pick up a console version of the Amiga but let it go as I didn't know how good an experience it gave.  I'm a Bitmap Bros fanboy but don't know how many of their games made it to the console. An Amiga or ST mini would be a thing.
    I got my first ever rejection letter from the Bitmaps age 11 or 12. I actually wrote to them and asked if I could send them designs for some games. The reply was on BB logo- embossed paper, too. I've still got it somewhere. Cadaver is still one of my favourite games.

Gods and Chaos engine are both in my top 100 list.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Why did I not know Sega Rally Championship was on the PS2? JP only but that isn't a problem for me.
  • davyK wrote:
    Why did I not know Sega Rally Championship was on the PS2? JP only but that isn't a problem for me.

It's been on my wish list for ages but feel like the Ebay prices are way too high.
  • Bought the premium edition of Sakura Wars due to the fan translation being finished now and it coming with the Saturn mouse. Was excited to try Virtua Cop and other (surprisingly numerous) games that support it but unfortunately it's completely unusable garbage. I know roll mouses are not equal to modern mouses but it took some serious effort to move it across the screen and now it goes back to the box where it will stay to the end of times. 

Bit disappointed, was hoping the mouse would be a decent alternative to the gun for a non-CRT person but that really wasn't the case.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!