Gran Turismo 6 Released December 6: OP Updated
  • Mod74 wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    woah woah woah - they actually have suspension now? So each car may actually feel different?
    You mean GT didn't have suspension before?

It had one suspension type for every single car in the game - sponge.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Presumably because of the upgrades.. you could buy stiffer ones.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I wonder how many people have actually had the chance to experience racecar suspension irl?
  • I've had the experience of Caterham 'suspension'... to be fair most racing games don't even simulate the nose of the car depressing under braking.. hello GRiD 2.
    The Forum Herald™
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    All I know is the nissan 370z loves sliding out. Im on the Silverstone time trials now and having a bastard of a time with it. Could be cos im running pad though?
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    After reading up, It seems drifting is what the top players are doing. Heres a link to the leaderboards anyway http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/academy/2013/rankings/ I cant see a way to filter to just friends but never mind.

edit,
    Luckily on each event you can view your friends leaderboard so all good
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    RetroGam3r wrote:
    All I know is the nissan 370z loves sliding out. Im on the Silverstone time trials now and having a bastard of a time with it. Could be cos im running pad though?
    I'm still waiting to hear news on next gen wheels as I will be indulging!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh my only a gig- A gig is enough to turn on throttling by my ISP- gonna have to grab it overnight and be ecstatic then underwhelmed tomorrow or the day after maybe instead.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Downloading now.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    OoooKay. Possible pre order upgraded to defo status after just about scratching out a bronze medal on the first complex challenge of Silverstone. Ye gods it feels great if you take off all the aids and try to get a 370Z around with just a crappy pad. Taking Stowe full pelt and holding it all together through the following complex has always been heavy going but with a bit of extra fun of the GT Academy stuff it makes for sweaty palms... 

Can you tell if the other folks on the timelists have TC and all that on? It seems to default to 7 or somesuch doesn't it?

Edit: From the rankings page I see that the top 10 losers are in fact on ABS 1 and 900deg sequential wheels.  
    Makes the 5.5sec gap all the more clear. 22,000 higher entries than me are probably all the same. I think I'm the first of the true playerzzz who go old school pad and all off. Maybe. Heh
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Have set times for all four sectors and the entire lap. Managed silver for each section, but couldn't string it together for the lap and am currently about two seconds outside the silver time. I am running with most of the assits off. I do have ABS set to one and driving line on, but I am using a pad. No one on my friends list has set a full lap time to compare with.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I saw you'd already cheated your way ahead of me yeah Skondo. Driver aids are for like beginners like; not real men. Hairy chested, cigar smoking ultra-alphas who like sit up the front of the grid and get all the hotties dripping on sight. Like me. With my abilities to post much slower times with all the aids off. 

You should try it some time and one day you too will become a man. 

Possibly.. hoodyhoho

Looking forward to seeing some more times on the friendslist scoresheet too. Bagsy last place. 

Shit. Now I really wanna go back in, stick on the top 10 authorised ABS of 1 and see if I can blast them out the park. ABS of 1 has to be worth at least 5 secs in the Stowe section so I just need to grab another half second and I'm sorted...
  • When I get the chance, I'll play it your way and see how I get on. I'll be taking that last place away from you I'm sure.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I think I'm up to about lvl15 or so in GT5 and this could well get me back to that too. It would be good to do a quick back to back with the handling model to see if all this brutal tyre lock ups and snappy instability is there too. My skills can make it happen almost anywhere as I mangle my mitts poorly on the ol' DS3.

Posting legal full laps already = biggo kudos points from me Skondo.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    Im on pad and you know instantly you will get destroyed by wheel players. Ha wheel players.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    Oh and I predict I will be bottom of all the tables. I adjusted a few settings to see how the car handles....big mistake. Dont forget if you goto the online rankings site, click a name and you can see peoples setup and settings.

Sneaked a silver on the first Silverstone time trial.
  • The very definition of mixed bag. So many lessons not learned. Oh dear.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Early impressions are that the AI is still dull as fuck, sticking rigidly to the racing line and showing no signs of humanity whatsoever (makes for the most boring "racing" imaginable), but there's some intelligence there at least, e.g. pulling out of the way to avoid collisions in corners.
    The handling seems about the same, weight shifting is realistic enough but the cars still feel far too heavy.

As far as the visuals go though, it isn't particularly pretty. There's a real lack of detail in the tracks and even the cars look a bit rough round the edges, even for a demo. Not at all up to the usual Gran Turismo standards.

Despite all this, my low expectations yielded some positives. I did enjoy playing, it reminded me of playing GT3 on PS2 - not quite the highs of those first PSOne outings, but still fun and it's still got around 4-5 months of development left to tighten up the AI and add the extra visual detail.

I've gone from a "not bothered" to a "potential Christmas present."
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Yeah, why didn't they make the races a bit more competitive, if they're all going to be like that, it's going to be pretty boring.
    I hope they make an overall leaderboard for all the tracks/classes, like wot Fortza does. That's where the meat of the game would be for me.

Just hope there's no screen-tearing.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    I wonder how many people have actually had the chance to experience racecar suspension irl?

A Van Diemen on Penske. Pretty horrible. Most of the forces transfer through the car laterally to the driver, so unless you're exceptionally fit, it's very easy to think that you're closer to the limit than you are.

If the tyres aren't complaining, you're too slow. VDs are well-behaved when you're off the power, but have flighty weight-transfer characteristics on it. What feels like a stable entry into a four-wheel drift can soon spit you out.

Caterhams are much nicer to drive in my experience. About as tricky to push hard, but you're near-enough seated on their rear wheels and they have relatively high amounts of body roll.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    my lfriends list has built up quite nicely now. And yep as suspected...I suck at the game. Im determined to get gold on all the events so im still on the first Silverstone one!
  • It's annoying that the traction control defaults to 7 after every single race.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    the second and 3rd corner of the first section is killing me!
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    Finally cracked gold on the first of the 5 Silverstone events. Oh well onto the next, Only 3 to go and then the online qualifier.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    With your fancy-pants ABS.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    I had too, I say that cos tbh I didnt realise it was on! But yeah I turned it off and it was like I was driving on ice the whole time.
  • Well done Retro. I've taken half a second off of my earlier time, but I've still not set a gold time. Corners 3 and 4 are causing me problems.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    cheers, Yeah those two caused me no end of issue. I had to learn the first of them alot. Basically I kept it so I hit the corner maintaining a speed of at least 45mph and going in real tight. A lot of fish tailing though! The next corner I hit it at such a slow speed it was stupid
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Don't want to piss in the pool but it's a pity that the demo is so bland in every way.  

Turn 10 can sleep easy tonight.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Like they've been doing since the first Forza ?
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!