Gran Turismo 6 Released December 6: OP Updated
  • daviedigi wrote:
    im 3rd on the trial here, but i declare 1st place as skondo and indigo have tc on (5 and 1). im 1st on the other trials too....just. i know i can go faster just cant get 1 part of where it snakes to hold right (ie holding accelerate just enough to keep it at a certain speed) im either to fast and invalidate my lap or too slow and lose some of the time iv gained.

Just did a 2'26.85 with TC off! not sure if you can see it on the leaderboard though, 2'26.4 with TC1 remains my best time for now. Dosen't really matter as my country (Ireland) isn't eligible for this academy thing anyways.
  • 2'25.612 with TC off, might be able to gold this after all.
  • i managed a silver on the full lap, think it was a 2'26.975.
    with all the assists on default settings, cos everyone knows it's actually slower that way and therefore more of a challenge! :P  i reckon a wheel, pedals, manual gears and TC off etc are prob worth atleast 10 seconds, so technically i'm possibly the best in the world....
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    i managed a silver on the full lap, think it was a 2'26.975. with all the assists on default settings, cos everyone knows it's actually slower that way and therefore more of a challenge! :P  i reckon a wheel, pedals, manual gears and TC off etc are prob worth atleast 10 seconds, so technically i'm possibly the best in the world....
    Easily...

I've only done the first section so far and although I have a Gold for it I can piss Silver even when messing about and smoking the rears. I know that with a wheel I could more than likely bang in a Gold for that section 7 out of 10 times.
  • I
    daviedigi wrote:
    i were gonna give it a miss this time but if theres a few of us getting it il be in. loved all the online stuff round here and the tt's. also seattle and the other tracks not in gt5 are supposedly back for this.

I couldn't not buy a Gran Turismo game.. there's enough time and good stuff to convince me.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm padding because my pedals are bust.

Just a 2:24.4 so far. Needs a wheel.
  • RetroGam3r wrote:
    dammit I missed your stream! You doing another one soon?

You can watch it back on that link, but I should be streaming again on friday night to finish off the final silverstone gold and the extra events that opened after it
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's probably a good time to ask again if anyone wants to buy my G25? When Fanatec get around to sorting my pedals out, I've a CSR now.

Physically, I prefer the G25 (and apart the crappy gear stick, it's much sturdier), but it doesn't have the in-hardware settings of the CSR, nor adjustable tension and travel for the pedals. I wanted light pedals with shorter travel, and the ability to reduce my steering lock from 900°.

You can do that on a PC with assignable lock and max acceleration/braking at X percentage of travel, using the lighter clutch pedal as your brake. I only bought the CSR for these reasons, and like I say - I'd rather have those features in a Gxx.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    how much you looking for it?
    not that i can afford atm but i would love to if i could.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Might hit £100 on eBay. I'd let it go for £70 to someone from here.
  • Shit, I'm mighty tempted, in some ways after the amount of time i ended up spending with GT5 I'm a bit annoyed that i cheaped out with the GTForce and didn't pony up for the multiplatform fanatec and get shot of my microsoft wheel

Looking ahead I don't know what to do, cos I know that upgrading will be money well spent for the time i'll put into gt6, but i'd again be thinking of multiplatform future, althoguh noone can tell me what the XBone is doing with wheel support, and i can't see me buying either new consoles anytime soon, so perhaps i shouldn't care about that, and the g25 would be fine for PC...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Have you got a WSP? I had to buy a Fanatec bracket for mine, so you could have my old G25's.

I think there's a decent chance they'll both work with PS4s, but I'd be surprised if the Bone's happy with the CSR, and the G25's definitely out.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've had a quick go and got Golds in all the sections now and whereas I'm not the quickest person ever (I'm sure with an hour or two set aside I could easily better all my times) it is really starting to grate using a pad. What is the best wheel currently available with regard to price/quality? Also I'm not bothered about cross platform 'cause I won't be playing any racing games on my laptop and I doubt a XB1/PS3/PS4 version of any wheel is available.
  • Yas, Gold shine get 2'24.6. Wasn't bad once I turned off the distracting driving line, and annoying tunes.
  • I find the driving line terrible. It continually shows braking into the apex of the corner which, without ABS, is obviously completely wrong.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Braking zones indicated are much too large too. Using visual ques works out much better, plus I find things are a lot more immersive without the line.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    What is the best wheel currently available with regard to price/quality?

http://eu.fanatec.com/index.php?route=module/configurator

Forza CSR XL if you want a load-cell brake, or Value Pack if not. However, if you don't need Xbox support or the built-in features, I think G27s are much nicer in terms of dimensions (both the wheel and pedals' base) and their build-quality is manifestly higher.

PC-only, I'd say G27. Overall, though, the CSR has a pedal-inversion kit (pushing the pedals down as much as away is great for users in lighter chairs with wheels), and you also have hardware-held adjustments for max lock and multiple force behaviours.

I think the G27's mechanically superior in every way except for its motor (some argue the opposite; the Gs are notchier), but the CSR wins on features for console players. And you can physically swap the CSR's brake with the clutch for permanent left-foot braking. (Rewiring the G's a bit of a pain.)

[edit]

The CSR's not bad, just plasticky in comparison.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    You seem to have misunderstood my price/quality referral, I meant a balance of price/quality. That Fanatec stuff is well expensive...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Understood the question, but there isn't much choice at the minute.

My answer would've been the G27 when it hit its £150ish low before being discontinued. Fanatec have since hoovered up the mid-range market. The Driving Force GT's hard to recommend due to its heavy price inflation since it went out of production; it's over a hundred when it should be under.

Cheaper than that, and I'd say your best bet is to buy a decent wheel from someone you know. The vast majority of online sellers are would-be scalpers with unrealistic prices.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    On a game related note, is there anything else in this demo/academy?
  • Don't know whether anyone saw this Eurogamer comparison feature?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gt6-demo-vs-gt5

Doesn't really bother me as I feel 1080 is over rated..
    The Forum Herald™
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    got more events incoming at some point, Some say if you gold everything you get a bonus level but its not available? I call bullshit
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Don't know whether anyone saw this Eurogamer comparison feature? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gt6-demo-vs-gt5 Doesn't really bother me as I feel 1080 is over rated..

Interesting piece and I've noticed the slowdown on the cockpit view pretty regularly too. Might try a 720P spin to see how it differs.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    RetroGam3r wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    got more events incoming at some point, Some say if you gold everything you get a bonus level but its not available? I call bullshit
    Well the reason I ask is I saw rumours on the net that apparently the Xbow has been played on the Silverstone circuit so that was goign to feature in the demo.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    isanbard wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Don't know whether anyone saw this Eurogamer comparison feature? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gt6-demo-vs-gt5 Doesn't really bother me as I feel 1080 is over rated..
    Interesting piece and I've noticed the slowdown on the cockpit view pretty regularly too. Might try a 720P spin to see how it differs.
    Without reading the article I'm guessing that this is running in 1080p and dropping it to 720p gets rid of framerate issues.? I too have noticed quite bad framerate issues in places, so much so that I think it was only just breaking into double figures.
  • It's a little worse than that, yes dropping to 720p improves the performance but you have to do that to the PS3 each time, not in-game. I think this one is going to be about the major improvements in the handling and whether that's enough to make it worth buying it.
  • I have to admit to not being terribly technical but is the entire GT6 graphics engine being downloaded in that 1gb demo? Or is it possible that it's a cut down effort and the actual code will be much more refined?

Not that I noticed any tearing in GT5 either.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Noticed tearing in the city races more, e.g London.
  • I had no issues with performance generally cos where i have space to permanently set up a 'cockpit' I'm rocking a CRT, so i'm only at 576i, which makes spotting some details that i would use as markers for braking/turning points a bit tricky, but it comes with the plus that i can stream/capture with a £5 usb dongle rather than a £125 hdpvr

That article was good though, it was nice to see the side by side images that showed that my perception on the lighting looking a lot nicer is not just in my head
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    @random_dave - How's your G25 doing? It was fine when I boxed it a fair while ago, but I didn't have time to test it properly and just wondered - after its time in storage - if it had developed any niggles?

As for the wheel itself, I think there are more pros than cons over the GT, but if I was going to use it with GT6, I'd mod the shifter and rewire (swap) the clutch and brake. It should be quieter?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!