Currently Playing
  • Yeah, the short ones Paul posted above.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just read a few Tevis reviews, I like them a lot.
    Wouldn't go there for a "should I buy" and he isn't pretending to be that so fair play.

Aye, but like I say I don't use reviews like that anyway, something incredible would have to happen to stop me from buying The Witcher 3 or NMS for example.

His reviews work better if you've already played the game. His On Videogame Reviews bit seems pertinent, but I've not got time to read it at the mo. Too much sport is happening.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    First paragraph is the interesting one - what give a fuck about reviews anyway. People are gonna buy it anyway if they really want to. Kirby in point - middling reviews for that Rainbow Curse (edge aside) but I'm grabbing it anyway.
  • It is hard to quantify but I imagine there are still a lot of people out there who do base purchase on how something reviews.
    Probably not series fanbois or those with preorders but fence sitters or those contemplating whether to day one buy or wait until a decent price drop.

It is the confused mess reviews I struggle with.
    Mortal Kombat X is out next week. I am fully expecting...
    "MKx plays really well, looks great, is full of content and while not as refined as SF it will please it's fans.
    The Gore level is sickening and says something about industry shock tactics and the series history of grabbing headlines. This time it is too far, outrage ensues!
    Boobs are smaller than MK9, what does this say about misogyny, let's spend the next paragraph being sickened again.
    4 more paragraphs on hot potato

9/10"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    which is totally fine. Those normal reviews aren't going anywhere and you'll be able to find them. I'm happy we're looking at texts in different ways. Again, Srs film criticism hasn't exactly hurt the old Empire 5 star review format.
  • What I'm saying though is the normal reviews often aren't there, not without the other stuff shoe horned into the middle of them at the expense of more informative writing and often the shoe horned in stuff is a bit limp.
    Too often I have finished a review absolutely none the wiser about if the game is actually any good.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Then change the places you go to read reviews if they're not for you? It's not as if there's a dearth of games writing on the Internet.
  • After years and years of gaming you should probably know by now exactly what turns you on and just make up your mind via a mixture of word of mouth from friends and like minded individuals (like here?), previews and news, and overall metacritic or something.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • What I'm saying though is the normal reviews often aren't there, not without the other stuff shoe horned into the middle of them at the expense of more informative writing and often the shoe horned in stuff is a bit limp.
    Too often I have finished a review absolutely none the wiser about if the game is actually any good.

there are sites out there that stay away from the sociology lesson at the same time. Me and Sas review games for godisageek.com and usually the game is what you learn about not just whether it fixes the world

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    After years and years of gaming you should probably know by now exactly what turns you on and just make up your mind via a mixture of word of mouth from friends and like minded individuals (like here?), previews and news, and overall metacritic or something.

I do, but games are complex beasts these days so I sometimes find myself on the fence. Hello The Order and Alien Iso.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    After years and years of gaming you should probably know by now exactly what turns you on and just make up your mind via a mixture of word of mouth from friends and like minded individuals (like here?), previews and news, and overall metacritic or something.

Previews and news are PR nonsense. Metacritic is a shambles. Also, as stated, before I like to read reviews, frequently that has little bearing over whether I'll buy it or not, the pleasure is in the reading.
  • Aye, I love reading them too. Or at least I used to like reading Edge ones. They're just not that well written anymore. Time was when I would read every review regardless of the game.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • In what way is metacritic a shambles?
    The Forum Herald™
  • It lists Perfect Dark as 13th best game of all time and ranks GTA4 above GTA5.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    To find out if a game is actually good you check RPS and Eurogamer on release then Zero Punc two weeks later. Stanton may tweet something funny about it in the interim or just wind up Limmy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cannae wait for their square go
  • There are some games that I'm buying no matter what. I know what I like but I wasn't always so well versed in what I like and what is out there. 

There are some games that look interesting but I'll read about them before putting money down.

There are some games that I wouldn't know about if not for reviews.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • AJ wrote:
    It lists Perfect Dark as 13th best game of all time and ranks GTA4 above GTA5.

That proves game reviews are a shambles not metacritic.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm having to rethink what a review is.

On the one hand there's the product review of old, this is a thing, it does this and that, here's how it compares to other similar things [7]. Use these to figure out if a game is worth your time and money.

Then these opinion piece, almost retrospective things, which I'm far more interested in. Don't think old Tevis even needs a score at all, for me the important bit is seeing the game through the eyes of another, gaining a different perspective. It's why I joined this forum thing in the first place.

Anyway, back on topic, I've played fuck all since Tuesday, a couple of hours of Bloodborne. It was great.
  • Well I'm glad it didn't all just piss you off Paul. There's room for both, I just prefer the latter. Mechanics and 'does it work' are the realm of video now I feel.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm having to rethink what a review is.

On the one hand there's the product review of old, this is a thing, it does this and that, here's how it compares to other similar things [7]. Use these to figure out if a game is worth your time and money.

Then these opinion piece, almost retrospective things, which I'm far more interested in. Don't think old Tevis even needs a score at all, for me the important bit is seeing the game through the eyes of another, gaining a different perspective. It's why I joined this forum thing in the first place.

Anyway, back on topic, I've played fuck all since Tuesday, a couple of hours of Bloodborne. It was great.

If you're interested, Stanton has just put up a great retrospective on Mario 64 on EG today. Which is also what I've been playing.
  • You can take the piss but frames per second can be a massively important part of a game. Tell me frames aren't important in an fighter. Or if the whole of Dark Souls ran like Blighty would this be something you wouldn't want to know?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep, but can be done in part with a wider review, not just sorely mechanics. "Game runs like a lame elk - back leg shot to shit, and also features dodgy politics"
  • Of course it's important, I was obviously joking, a bad review for anything will just seem to run through a template regardless of the game.
  • FPS is important yup. But a review doesn't have to comment on it if it isn't the main cut and thrust of the author's context. I mean, you could write thousands of words on Dark Souls without mentioning the Blighty frame rate issue, and I wouldn't personally consider that remiss. It is nice to know when a game like Bayonetta is fucked in the FPS department, but again this is why I advocate reading multiple reviewers you trust on different aspects. Someone will mention it, or watch some gameplay/video review and voila you can see how it runs. I don't think I read much about MH4U's potential for dire online framerate, but it doesn't really matter to me in the end. Obviously that's different for others.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The tl;Dr of this whole thing is it's pointless getting upset at one review / site. There's plenty of ways for you to form your own opinion and do it in a way that works for you, whatever the combo is.

And the real fucker is it's probably not going to make a difference. When you've got that £50 to burn you're gonna buy something you want no matter what people say.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Do some of you not have cases of review scores putting them right off a given purchase? Lords of Shadow 2 was a complete about turn for me.
  • Yeah, no one bought that here did they? But if the reviews had been even solid it would have got some interest.
  • Is it no good? I was going to get it, when I see it on sale, on the strength of the first.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!